Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

18 hours ago, perdu said:

A miracle has resulted in fifty vortex generators arriving on my doorstep, post haste from an Alchimist in the frozen, wind blasted North 

They are beautiful

:rofl2:

According to Collins on line English Dictionary

Alchemy is the power to change or create things in a way which seems mysterious and magical.

And seeing as each of the chemical processes involved in this etching lark is mysterious and magical to me then I guess Alchemy ain't a bad description......

But as for the frozen, wind blasted North........I'll have you know it was a benign 8 degrees with only 3kts of wind when my missus dragged me out of bed at 6'oclock this morning to go for a run.........No anti-run excuses to be found in the Met forecast/actual - and believe me I looked.

Beautiful? - perhaps ('tis a value judgment after all).....but the efficacy remains an imponderable :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

A miracle has resulted in fifty vortex generators arriving on my doorstep, post haste from an Alchimist in the frozen, wind blasted North 

I now need to finish the inner cavities for the opened out wings to be displayed so I can run the etch tests the Wizard suggests

They are beautiful

P1140011.jpg

P1140012.jpg

Just noticed I got a couple of this

Stunning wasn't it?

P1140010.jpg

The prophecy tis true then Bill. It is written that when the heavens turn red The Great Wizard from the North who once flew in the sky will return and bless us with the secrets and wisdom of the Modelling Gods. We must seek him out by way of a great odyssey from the Middle Earth Kingdom land of Brummagen, oop north to his abode. I fear many tests await us on this journey, not least transgressing the Great Barriers (M1 and M6 Northbound)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-iv3HPbKA

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hmm

That could work

I just thought or bunging him a cuppa at The Mystyck Realm of Telfordshireshire next month...

But your way could be interesting (in the Pekingese meaning of the phrase of power), exciting (in the Way Of Vimes), and educational (in the manner of Flashman)!

OK we'll do it

4.30 Sunday morning OK with you?

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has been interesting (in the Way of Peking)

Vortex generation required a set of little wing fences inset above the mainplanes

This shape, such little

vg_bucc_1.jpg

This is the drawing I made from the pictures available and despatched Northwards to the Alchemist which resulted in the sheet of fifty little doohickeys arriving (QUICKLY) from Brian the Royal Snail, as above.

Which gave me some considerable fears, worries and trepidation

Twenty one of the little beggars scattered symmetrically along the front of the folding wing

How to mark them out accurately?

My electronic caliper gauge decided there and then to kill its LR44

Luckily an LR44 is only a small dry cell battery but it was to be days before the next shopping trip and I try fairly desperately to make my modelling as low-impact as possible, domestically so no dashing off for unexpected supplies

In the mean time I tried marking the necessary positions with a compass and drilling the wing surface manually

How effective that was...

Well you can see all along the wing surfaces here

P1140016.jpg

Handsome huh?

I eventually got the LR44 in the caliper and used it to make a drilling jig for accurate drilling their position

I then photographed the resulting jig and uploaded it to my new Win10 computer

Which promptly hid it away in its unchartable wastes  :(

A flurry of searches did not help one jot so you must consider this an Officious Secret until such time as the files are released

Sorry but...

Any road up, I finally got some holes where I liked them and filled the unwanted (although hardly unexpected from the way my week went last week) and topped up the unwanted holes with tipples of Mr Dissolved Putty  (tipples Giorgio is a probably made up word which seems to imply the fiddling about doing necessary but unwanted hole fillings)

Mr DP seems to work nicely with very little residual stench/smell/aroma, I wonder what it says on the jar about using it in built up areas, it is probably uber toxic and my hands will begin to disintegrate soon

Just after my hair falls out no doubt

P1140019.jpg

n.b. these new holes, seen here, were also doomed to Mr DP treatment

Oh well, the jar is full  :)

Anyway, tonight

This

P1140020.jpg

New holes and something to fill them

First five in

P1140022.jpg

Yes there is one, more later, sitting slightly proud of the surface

Not much of a problem, I'm going to have an enormous amount of filling to hide the holes 'acos I didn't dare us my very thinnest drills on account of the breaking and bungerring up the drilled holes

Persevering happened

P1140023.jpg

And lo! Yet more perseveringery

P1140024.jpg

P1140025.jpg

This is the extent of intensity my eyes are up to these days

I'll do t'other wing on the morrow

So rounding up the experience

Application of adhesive substances without getting tweezery things stuck to the wing or vg

V. Diff (a bit like one or two of the ways up Kilnsey Crag)

Getting holes actually small enough to require minimal aprés glue attention

Unlikely (for me)

Dealing with the remaining holes and occasional under vg gaps

Not really too hard at all

I think the slightly thicker brass sheet may be a tad easier to deal with but 0.3 is certainly useable

The vgs as delivered are definitely the knees of bees, straight edges look to be finely defined and the stem is a manageable thickness

How do they look to you folks, folks?

I used Roket Max , thick non runny stuporgoo and it was not particularly heavy fuming glue

I can happily commend it to your attentions

nite all!

• Like 13

57 minutes ago, perdu said:

from where I'm sitting Bill they look darned fine.  Finer than fine I should say.  Finer than filigree

Way better than anything I could have done in that scale that's for sure.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Flippin' marvellous Bill....!!

Keith (jealous in Swansea with a Javelin, four Hawks & three Buccs that ain't having VG's anywhere near as nice as those! :( :D)

Thanks guys

It had to be done you know

Keith obviously it doesn't have to be done in Wales, God will probably do them for you in his own country

(My missus says...)

Three Buccs @21 per wing = madness

One Javelin with vgs front and back I recall = utter madness

Hawks with...

I know a man who has them sorted but four?

Absolute insanity

I'm doing three Buccs of course but the RAF one will be from the era when the vgs had been removed

I may be mad but not that mad

😨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

Absolute insanity

It would be Bill, if it were not most likely wishful thinking! Of those kits I'll be lucky to do one of each! The others will likely remain gathering dust in their boxes for eternity! The Javelin actually is well underway - but I have a cunning plan for that. It'll be converted to an FAW 1 - they didn't have V.G.'s...!! :D

Keith

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

but the RAF one will be from the era when the vgs had been removed

Meant to ask in the previous reply but forgot - when was that Bill? My memory (which I no longer trust at all - see left!) tells me that all the sad looking grey painted Buccs I saw after they had pitched up at St Athan to be dumped and cut up, all had those characteristic curved stains flowing back in the airflow from the VG's. I seem to vaquely recall one or two VG's being removed as part of a weapons fit (Martel?) but not all of them. I know you research your subjects well, so an RAF Bucc without the pesky things would suit me down to the ground!! (and, yes, I am being lazy & not researching it meself! :D)

Keith

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

They look the bee's knees, as you say - top job! :clap:  :worthy: 

8 hours ago, perdu said:

(tipples Giorgio is a probably made up word which seems to imply the fiddling about doing necessary but unwanted hole fillings)

:rofl:  :rofl:  thanks for that Bill :D

Ciao

You will recall I have some little bits for you, wontcha

Remind me to hand em over at t'Nats

Better still remind me to bring 'em too

😀

Ref the vgs I picked up on that from the buccaneer.co.uk website

They had a discussion somewhere and it included a link to the Airframe Modification list

mod 1112 Introduces Fixed Vortex Generators to S2,S2A, S2C (Sept 1970)

They had been removed from the fleet prior to that but I recall, possibly/probably incorrectly that a revised weapons fit resulted in them being deemed necessary again

So there IS a window

I do know that S2s only had 20 instead of 21 because of pylon access, they say

There's a gap, mind it😂

Edited by perdu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

the era when the vgs had been removed

Somewhere in the depths of BM there is a build,but as usual it is never easily found when I'm searching, where he does one of the RAF ones which I believe were built without them.

I'm off to find a large hammer to assist with this search (memo to self..use the new laptop numpty!)

EDIT:

Big Hammer threat worked..found it

• Thanks 2

Looking good Bill - I remember when I did my S1 the VG's were dismissed as being too hard to even consider so I really admire your keen eyesight, steady hand and patience in getting these VG's lined up neatly.

CJP

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Big Hammer threat worked..found it

Thanks Scimitar - guess which numpty had actually seen & 'liked' that build....!! D'oh!

And thanks Bill, I'll try to remember to remind you about the bits!

Keith

Scim thanks for finding that, would have taken me forever

The second one in, you know, the one sitting proud

Well it isn't any more...

I tried a thin coat of Stylenrez, number two dropped off whilst I was fiddling about with it

Luckily not lost ( in the garage f.g.s ) so I will pop it back in deeper later on

I watched a YouTube about using Stylenrez and which advised mixing fifty fifty with thinners

Problem being SNR didn't like my Mr Color Levelling Thinners and gooed up inside the airbrush's passages.

Not a big worry I have cleaned it up and put in a 0.05 nozzle for next time

I'll try the SNR unthinned to see what happens

Keith if you remind me to remind you I will remind you if you do

😕

• Like 1

Now that looks like a pain in the ar*e job that does...........

l’m very pleased that the ‘awks only have 8 per wing.  So even over 2 ‘awks that’s only.... mumble.....ummm......32! So still we’ll shy of your single bucc total Bill  :thumbsup:

Plus - it’s gotta be easier lining up only 8 ‘oles compared with 21.......Surely.

i had thought that drilling the ‘oles and then popping a drop of cyano on the underneath and relying on capillary action would do the trick......but like you I’ve already glued me wings together and so, so much for that good idea......:whistle:

I’m extremely pleased you’re forging the way on how to fix the so**ing thing in place Bill.

Soon we can move on and out the whole ridiculous idea of VGs in 1/72 behind us.......maybe even pretend the whole thing never happened and need never be repeated.......:banghead:

That wing do look rather fine tho’ :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Fritag said:

That wing do look rather fine tho’ :)

It do.  

[He could have got round the whole problem by folding the wings so you can barely see the VG.  But did he?  Did he ‘eck as like!  We tried to warn him, honest...]

• Haha 2

Oh dear Crisp hasn't been keeping up has he

This one's wings will be folded, that ferry sailed a few months back

But that will lift the vgs into the eyes of the observant observer more readily

And the thinness will be welcome then too

Thank you very much for the chance to go a bit further Steve, they really look very fine on the wing

I mentioned losing in the unfriendly depths of win 10 the pictures of the drilling jig, hoopla I found them

P1010021.jpg

It was apparent even before I went at it hammer and picky up hot things that one set of holes was slightly misaligned

Simply dealt with

Drill the eleven in a straight-ish line and spin the jig round to use the same holes along the other row

Which worked nicely enough for me

P1010023.jpg

Dear me, note to self

Your nails are a mess, pop round to the nail bar post haste

I have to reattach number two and damp PPP the holes, tonight's little number whilst listening to the screams of would be trickingtreaters when they fondle my electrocuting doorbell

heh heh

Then begin to pop the starboard vgs into place ready for another bash at priming

Off for our trip to the 'Spoons for a Grill Night Special now, ciao

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

tonight's little number whilst listening to the screams of would be trickingtreaters when they fondle my electrocuting doorbell

:rofl:  What a soundtrack for the task :D  :D  

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Drill the eleven in a straight-ish line and spin the jig round to use the same holes along the other row

Talk about lateral thinking ... :worthy:  You're a man of endless resources :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1