Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

On 10/17/2017 at 10:17, Fritag said:

W10?  WIN7? 

After I'd been iPhone'd and iPad'd for a while I went the whole hog and Mac'd as well.  So it's macOS Sierra (soon to be High Sierra) and iOS 11 rather than Windows for me these days.  I love the depth and breadth of the connectivity  between all of em.

Good man! This is coming to you courtesy my steam-powered FrankenMac: A positively ancient dual-processor G4 (the "mirror drive door" edition) running OX 10.5.8. Like me, it's old and slow but still (mostly) functional.

• Like 1

Thanks, presumably that will be Black Green 70

I'll keep that in mind, just in case

I have been demoulding the bitsanbobs with varying successes, some of the latex didnt mix well enough so one half drop tank, and one half wing fold detail bitz shifted a tad 
I will remould the bad bits tomorrow

whilst waiting for that to happen I also began making the little bits that hang down at the tail end

The Hold-back ready for use when I have added a little bit more work to it

P1010084.jpg

The tail bumper is next and is similar to the hold-back but less girder-ey, working on that now

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Not Mr. Gruber? It can't be...

paddington-portobelloshops-lowres.jpg

No, his father was a butcher so it couldn't be him. He could've supplied Paddington's bacon though!

Ian

• Haha 3

Phew, good to know thanks

Had another happy result this morning (two!)

The Midget passed her MOT

And whilst wasting time in ALDI buying bread and bacon after popping into the art shop next door for Sansodor thinners

£4.99 Airfix Red Pelican JP3 in a bin with hundreds of Airfix HMS Victory and a couple of Cromwell targets, would have seemed rude to leave it there in such bad company wouldnt it?

:whistle:

• Like 5

Its not hard to see where 'the love' is if you consider they all probably started with a zillion of each in the bins

Then the good ones vanished like smoke in a breeze

Then they got left behind

I might slip back and buy a Victory for the grand-daughter, her Airfix Spit was very good and I bet she would do Airfix a favour with that

• Like 3

On 16/01/2018 at 3:57 PM, perdu said:

I might slip back and buy a Victory for the grand-daughter,

As they say up here 'Aye right!'

We won't slag you off too much if you build a floaty thing but it must have working canon covers.

By the way you were got trying to be unobtrusive in your local Aldi  :D

Knifepoint-robbery-captured-on-CCTV.jpg

• Like 1

I am surprised you have self portraited yourself Scimitar mate, but some people, huh

As for the Victory and a vile calumny I have built ships before but prefer to pick my own scales and subjects

sleighridethree.jpg

Cosford_April_12th_012.jpg

I once walked the decks of Victory, felt sympathy and admiration for her crew

And decided that HMS Victory was never going to be a subject for me to indulge in

:)

• Like 4

I've long been curious about the Royal Navy's catapult system. Were the bridles caught and re-used, or were they one-time, expendable items? The entire method seems overly complicated and labor-intensive when compared with the current U.S. system, although I understand the our navy once used bridles as well.

• Like 1

For a long, and most of the time the bridles were just lost into the sea after take off. 

The Van Zelm (after its inventor) bridle catcher system was introduced, and these are the extensions that you see ahead of the catapult.

Victorious had one fitted experimentally for one commission c.1962, Ark Royal had the two fitted operationally and had them in place by the time of her last 'Phantomisation' refit which ended in early 1970.  The Phantom increased bridle cost was apparently a driving factor in recovering the bridles, and according to a Navy Instructional film they were good for 50 launches. 

I have seen it somewhere that the other types (essentially just Buccaneer & Gannet by then) may not have used bridle recovery all the time.

• Like 2

I strongly suspect that had the RN continued with cat & trap carrier aviation beyond 1980, we would long since have gone over to a system like the modern US one - I don’t mean electro-mechanical (though probably that too in time).  After all, it is hard to envisage the Fleet Air Arm flying anything other than US types (F-14 & especially 18), though I guess Rafale would have been a possibility.

If you want to speculate / dream, the FAA Museum has 2 models of the QE class side-by-side; one is QE as built (ski jump, wide fore-and-aft ‘runway’, and the other as she might have been (angled deck, catapults and arrestor wires).

Given that QE / PoW have a projected 50-year life and the fact that the hulls have spaces under the deck in some interesting places, it might even yet turn out that the configuration is changed in due course - though in 20 years my guess is that any changes would be to operate large UAVs rather than some future manned monster.  Who knows?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, perdu said:

I am surprised you have self portraited yourself Scimitar mate, but some people, huh

I have no chance have I?

Not only does he do engineering things to perfection but he identifies me from my avatar ! (or did you fingerprint the parcel ?)

I have built ships before 

I actually knew that and I do like that barge!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shh dont wake me up...

Oh dear too late

An explanation is deserved mayhap  :thumbsup:

At this time of year I have to get our club's Charity Contest build started or pay a fine

Paying a fine goes beyond any call of duty so I have had a few days of Schpitfire building whilst contemplating when I can get paint on the Buccaneer and the Gannet

And the Spitty in the icy blast of my garage with its door open for spraying poipoises

Normal service will return very soon, promise

Glad you noticed her missing though , too

Thanks for asking

And making me feel guilty  :)

• Like 3

Trying not to extend a stash saves money, does not make extra though

We tool strapped pensioners have to struggle  :(

Gruel instead of Scotts for breakfast, an' all so I can get a fan "on-line"

(A budget extraction method is in planning but has to get past the fume critique test first...)

Spitty ready for paint, is HF3 Terre Foncee a decent substitute for HB2 I wonder?

P1010146.jpg

Glad I posted  this, spotted (and removed) the ridge on the tailplane   :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3