Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

11 hours ago, Scimitar said:

2 on Nightbird only.

Gubbins is a camera fit for filming weapons release as 986 7 and 8 were built for trials with the then RAE (and A&AEE too ?) Bettter shot.

13473928785_3843d7ee9f_b.jpg

Oh. 

Oh my.

So undeniably handsome that I may have found a build-subject.

A prog-rock Buccaneer!

'Harlequin', very early Genesis...

Relishing this thread Bill.:clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, perdu said:

I take it Nightbird was an allweather night bombing development

I see the different radome too, laser?

'Nightbird' XV344 an ex Navy S.2C, was used for various trials, but essentially yes, thermal imaging / FLIR and latterly (LRMTS) laser designation & TIALD (just in time for GW1) trials. 

The RAE also used an S.1 XN923.

So between XN923, XN975, XT272 with the Tornado GR.1 nose, XV344, XX887, XW986-'988 (all three of these special build had the wingtip camera stations) there are plenty of schemes and fits to choose from!

My favourite was definitely XW986 and '988 in the green white and yellow finish.

18432257744_4c6ecf2461_c.jpgBuccaneer S2C XW988 A&AEE RAF Fairford RIAT1991 by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

PS the books 'Forever Farnborough' and Adrian Balchs' 'Testing Colours' are excellent musts for modelling references for MoD PE, RAE, A@AEE, DERA etc aircraft.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh. 

Oh my.

So undeniably handsome that I may have found a build-subject.

A prog-rock Buccaneer!

'Harlequin', very early Genesis...

Relishing this thread Bill.:clap:

Glad you are enjoying this exposition of Buccaneering beauty

But you better hurry on up, I have a S2 in a box on a shelf near me

And that one impresses me mightily too

• Haha 1

Nothing much doing this day

but I did, as planned, get into the garage and put the moulds on my vibrating table set-up and fill them with Scarva Moulding Latex

I'm unsure how much time the latex will need to cure in these temperatures but I hope we will have results to check in the morning

As well as the wing folds there should be Gannet fuel tank halves to use, the finlets for the Gannet elevators tailplanes which I had to nick orf of the Eastern Express Gannet, acos the Frog/Novo one has lost hers in the mists of time

Now it is time to order more Scarva latex, all gone now  :(

But the new resin arrived last week, phew

Edited by perdu
Bill got his controlling surfaces wrong oops
  • Like 4

On 8/31/2017 at 16:23, perdu said:

The thingmyjig is supposed to keep the alignment of the thingmy all shipshape?

Actually, it's spelled "thinga-ma-jig" (that is, it is spelled that way here in HM's Former Colonies). A derivative of "whatcha-ma-callit." Related to "whatzit."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Space Ranger said:

Actually, it's spelled "thinga-ma-jig" (that is, it is spelled that way here in HM's Former Colonies). A derivative of "whatcha-ma-callit." Related to "whatzit."

Thank you for that valuable clarification

It seems I mislaid many a dash in many a thread, I hope Her Former Maj of the Colonies will forgive my treatment of the beautiful tongue

I confess I do not hear dashes in whatchamacallit, I 'spect I will get sent back to' the Correctional' At Scunthorpe, like the time when..

Well THAT is for another forum, in another place

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Ian is posh, he says 'hyphen' and not dashes...:laugh:

:D Me Ole' man was born in Portobello Road, can't get much posher'n that guv!

Ian

• Haha 3

On 1/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, perdu said:

But you better hurry on up, I have a S2 in a box on a shelf near me

And that one impresses me mightily too

'Tis your thread it appeared in Bill so I reckon that natural justice gives you first dibs.

T'would be an awful thieving magpie that took such a bauble from another bird's nest after all....;)

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

:D Me Ole' man was born in Portobello Road, can't get much posher'n that guv!

Not Mr. Gruber? It can't be...

paddington-portobelloshops-lowres.jpg

• Haha 7

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:15, 71chally said:

'Nightbird' XV344 an ex Navy S.2C, was used for various trials, but essentially yes, thermal imaging / FLIR and latterly (LRMTS) laser designation & TIALD (just in time for GW1) trials. 

So between XN923, XN975, XT272 with the Tornado GR.1 nose, XV344, XX887, XW986-'988 (all three of these special build had the wingtip camera stations) there are plenty of schemes and fits to choose from!

My favourite was definitely XW986 and '988 in the green white and yellow finish.

18432257744_4c6ecf2461_c.jpgBuccaneer S2C XW988 A&AEE RAF Fairford RIAT1991 by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

PS the books 'Forever Farnborough' and Adrian Balchs' 'Testing Colours' are excellent musts for modelling references for MoD PE, RAE, A@AEE, DERA etc aircraft.

I will always remember looking down from Caraeg Cennan castle in the Black mountains and watching XW988 as she flew in and out of the valleys below.

Martian

• Like 2

On 1/14/2018 at 11:15, 71chally said:

She looks black, white and yellow in my monitor

Stunning too but not green and yellow with the white  :(

• Like 1

Definitely extra dark green, yellow and white (as was XW986 for a shorter period) Bill, just shows how we can't always trust photos for colours.  Anti dazzle are is black.

I like the way that the pilot had the air brakes open so that it would fit in the frame of that picture better!

edit, you can see the green in this shot a bit betterhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8721/28340199374_a6a5753995_b.jpg

...and just for the hell of it, lovely top side view which is what Martian probably saw!

1022847-large.jpg

Iain C. Mackay - Air Britain Images

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

I believed it James, even seen a picture a few years back that looked greener but how the hell would you get a believable colour match for a model paint

I'm inclined towards the camouflaged fin one for my S2  😊

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, perdu said:

I believed it James, even seen a picture a few years back that looked greener but how the hell would you get a believable colour match for a model paint

I recall seeing, in an old issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling, that green described as one of the two Luftwaffe WW II greens: RLM 70 or 71, but can't remember which.

• Thanks 1