Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

On 8/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, 71chally said:

Looking good Bill, apologies, i've been missing form your build thread for a while (no real reason),  she's looking good. Re EDSG and helo's as Crisp says, a no starter. The closest you will get is a HAS 3 Wessex on hot trials in Oz with an RAF BG lower and white upper surfaces. Looks so good, my 48th Wessi will be done in that scheme.  Colin 

• Like 1

Don't forget that EDSG and white was only for fighter and strike aircraft anyway.  EDSG and Sky remained for other front-line fixed wing - which dwindled to the Gannet AEW by the mid 60s.

Helos took up the RAF B/G after replacing the EDSG/Sky scheme in the late '50s early '60s as deemed a better colour to hide against the sea - too good as it turned out so that the  yellow tops were added for hiviz - camo, go figure.

• Like 1

There are pictures of the very earliest Wessex in that EDSG / Sky scheme.  Thought typically I cannot put my hand on them now!

So instead I will leave you with a lovely Wessex 3 hovering next to Portland Castle (with an interesting weapon load...):

25783133598_ae8a20de08_b.jpg

• Like 5

I was thinking sand and brown

OK Kidding   OK

I did get fed up with all this trendy bendy wings palaver though

Ditch the folding stuff and glue it together and begin painting, what do you think?

P1010076.jpg

maybe pull the brake panels back together too

P1010077.jpg

OK but it was nice to see a Buccaneer in the all together just for a bit

:)

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

What? No folds? How many beers have you had over at Ced's place? 

Besides, I see edsg and I see white, what do you need to paint it for?

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A decision that is entirely yours!

It's interesting to see the photo is showing the vortex generators nice and clearly (difficult to find on Mr Giggle) and the 5th from inboard is still attached. Perhaps the S2 did away with them for weapon pylon fit?

I toyed with wing fold simply because of display size issues in The Correct Scale, but will await the Tanmodel kit to do a fully-folded up bird. Quite tempted to do EDSG over white for it as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I did get fed up with all this trendy bendy wings palaver though

Ditch the folding stuff and glue it together and begin painting, what do you think?

I think with all this excellent Buccaneer work you will have to do one Buccaneer folded and one Buccaneer spread

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

As I understand it the "missing" VG was an S2 thing, as you say, for weapons pylon fitment

Once I have wing fold details cast it will be an easy everyday decision, fold or notfold 

My S2 is not being folded or opened except maybe an opened canopy like this one is getting

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Always something wonderful about a "Ripple"...

How about 'patchwork quilt'? 

9753197_orig.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I just noticed that the one on the left in previous pic  is XV344,the nightbird.  XW986,987 and 988 certainly looked different in  the yellow, green,black and white scheme

• Like 4

Just discovered this thread and have spent a couple of hours trying to catch up and am only about a third of the way through it, right-clicking and saving stuff as I go!

I've first learned of the Buccaneer when I was about age 12 and have been fascinated by it ever since. I was home from school ill with the flu, and my dad, well aware of my interest in things aeronautical, brought home for me the latest issue of RAF Flying Review, containing an article on the Royal Navy's latest, the Blackburn NA.39. Now this was in a small town on the Texas gulf coast, circa 1958-59, and I have wondered to this day why a newsstand in Freeport, Texas, would have been stocking that magazine on a regular basis. That magazine also introduced me to Airfix kits, and one of the first Airfix kits I ever built was – you guessed it – their Blackburn NA.39, although if memory serves, it was the US Airfix-72 release with its flaming Zero fighter on the box art! I was really proud of that model, until a visiting cousin mangled it by trying to fold the wings incorrectly, broke them off, then attempted to repair the damage with ugly blobs of tube glue.

a6623106-161-AIRFIX-72%20Blackburn%20NA3

Edited by Space Ranger
Syntax, add'l. comment.
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

No chance of these then!

14382261261_d66804ca6f_c.jpg

Two pitots!

And what on earth were the gubbinses on the wingtips?

Space Ranger I hope you enjoy this one as we go along, there are some great Bucfacts coming along as our friends unload their archives

:)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, perdu said:

Two pitots!

And what on earth were the gubbinses on the wingtips?

2 on Nightbird only.

Gubbins is a camera fit for filming weapons release as 986 7 and 8 were built for trials with the then RAE (and A&AEE too ?) Bettter shot.

13473928785_3843d7ee9f_b.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Gubbins is a camera fit for filming weapons release as 986 7 and 8 were built for trials with the then RAE (and A&AEE too ?)

I've often wondered it they were the only front-line production aircraft specifically ordered for, and used by the RAE or even within the wider PE fleet?

I posted this over in the Gannet bit first by mistook  doh

I made a few more additions to the foldy bit for the outer wing

P1010079.jpg

And since I have finished prepping the Midge for her MOT I can get back in the casting facility so we are going in tomorrow

The bucks are ready for some latex action

P1010081.jpg

Hopefully get some first offs on Monday

I'm not adding pipery until they are cast and ready for the wings

• Like 10

Looking forward to the casting result, Bill :popcorn:

You are not putting any pipe before casting because they are likely to stuck into the mould, or is it because of their geometry?

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

It is because many if not most of them stand out well from the face of the inner wing section

Pavla and others make moulded detail which often includes these things but I don't have the skill of their mould masters

I will pop the pipes on afterwards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1