Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

The sheer quantity that is in the fuselage is impressive, but my investigations into the wing-blowing systems and the vortex generators got me wondering due to the size and construction of the outer wing panels.

The internal fuel at 1,560 Gals is pretty impressive.

The large BLC bleed pipes can be see at the fold, they are the largish holes/pipes at the fore and aft of both surfaces of the folded wing.  the inner wing pipe joins can actually move around on sprung joints so as to align properly when the wing folds.

36545051050_6488cdaaea_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

38299430024_8d5e839420_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

38299425674_ca71a450e3_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

aged/tarnished to an offish metal colour

Whilst possible,it does not explain the colour inside that S50s intake which is brand new.

In the book 'Pirates of 24' there are photographs of every S50 and in the colour shots where you can see inside it is that colour

Fascinating how research grows arms and legs isn't it.

Thought just occurred to me that it may be a some sort of protective stuff  (please excuse technical jargon :D)

You see some undercarriage legs and wing folds in an almost primer yellow stuff but that still doesn't explain the new S50.

As an aside,have a look at this  https://i.pinimg.com/736x/84/d2/0a/84d20a7e40c69d27cc19216357093c86--military-jets-military-aircraft.jpg

• Like 1

It does look like some kind of protective coating to me, it does not have the 'look' of metal

Rather like a kind of resin based compound

I don't suppose it will matter in paint though on the models

Ah I should have said S.1s.  I think S.2s could have been possibly painted.  

Why the SAAF ones were that colour I don't know, maybe as you say.

Wouldn't want to get in the way of that salvo!

The S.2s I've looked at have metal intake interiors, you can even see the rivet lines.  I seriously doubt that you would want any lining that has the possibility of coming off in that area in front of the engines, even metal can slightly move/distort in engine intake areas.

Edit, I wouldn't like to use that S.50 shot for colour interpretation as the reproduction colours are clearly tinted/washed. 

In fact to my eyes that could be a dull metal finish, all our interpretations vary.

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

all our interpretations vary.

Sums it up completely! 

I've just ordered the second book on the Buccaneer S50 which covers its procurement and operations at Lossiemouth so my New Year's resolution is that I will complete a model in 2018 (and try to finish the 18 or so I started this year) and it will probably be a Buccaneer S50 :D

• Like 2

Seems 2018 might be a Bucc rich environment, which will be nice

Here in my depleted environment I have been doing a bit of Bucc whilst also working out how to get the ventilated little doors on the Gannet's nose gear inserted

It's a puzzle  :(

Here's the bits of Bucc I have done so far

the coaming for the i.p.

the windshield for the backseater

and the jetpipes got cleaned out and rounded off the accept the new plastic based tubes

P1140137.jpg

The windshield is a better angle than that now

P1140138.jpg

needed tilting back just a tadlet more

Using PPP it turned out to be relatively easy to get the real round exhaust hole shape smoothed out with a round needle file ready for a length of black Wetherspoons straw

P1140140.jpg

As JB W are running a programme designed to reduce the availability of plastic straws it might be a good idea to get some in soon

;)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes here it is...

I have been looking for this, whilst I give the Gannet a rest I am attacking some of the more invisible bits on the Buccaneer

The 'hold back' (the man told me it was called this, don't shout at me dad) sits in a recess just tucked away in front of the airbrakes

(TBH it looks to meas if they were just tacked on later because the picture I have just  shows a dirty great hole with a triangular doohickey sittingin it, all scruffy like, see?)

I did remake the tail end thingmy (see I still get techy sometimes:) ) with resin when I had to carve it up to open the brakes

(that was decision which set off all the usual suspects ... Bend it shake it fold it this it that it)

As the block is solid I have decided I can carve a recess to do the task, I think the hold back will be posed down

Here's the start of the recess, I may leave it here with a black painted hole behind it

P1010017.jpg

There will be more definition on the tail bumper too looks a bit daft like that

I have seen diagrams that say the oddball panel in front of that  should be a fibreglass dielectric panel can anyone help confirm that please?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, perdu said:

The 'hold back' (the man told me it was called this, don't shout at me dad) sits in a recess just tucked away in front of the airbrakes

I thought the hold back was a thing (excuse technical jargon) fitted just before the aircraft went on to the catapult. It was fitted to the catapult when the aircraft went nose up and it fractured via a weak link on launch. Am I wrong in this thought?

You can see it here

Buccaneer_catapult.jpg

and being fitted here 

09b64297c3f0cd6866ebabca0f41d16b.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      That recess was for the arrestor hook which on early NA39s had doors to cover the main part of it.

• Like 1

I think you are both right; the holdback is indeed, as Bill says, immediately in front of the airbrakes (and immediately behind the arrestor hook) - see this picture of the FAA Museum's S1.  And its function is as described by Scimitar.  Or am I missing something?

37551936455_088a0e7de8_h.jpg

Not certain exactly which panel you mean with this possible dielectric malarkey, but I can't see anything obvious here, other than (I assume) fuel jettison on the port side and the lower IFF "shark's fin" aerial on the starboard, with the arrestor hook and the bumper (don't know whether that's the correct term) in front of it (on which the tail sat when ready for catapulting).

37551935305_0105bce772_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

As Crisp and Scim have it it is the recess in the tail just before the airbrakes that has the hold back, just here

P1010016.jpg

by the rails the brake operates along

Because it is only resin there isn't much contrast yet so it is from the back the pylon that operates the air brakes

Then the hold back recess which I intend opening a bit more then painting it black inside, 'tain't a gonna be very visible when it has the hold back in it

Next forward is the hook recess, I'm relieved to see it has metal panels closing a gap my previous best picture of it had, just to the right of the fuel disposal duct

Then comes the tail bumper which I haven't yet decided on - up or down :hmmm:

Then comes the rectilinear-ish panel that some references say should be fibreglass coloured di-electics, just abaft the bomb bay

Centred in this picture

P1010018.jpg

I am busting one to see this in primer, a bit more work at the nose and we can begin to take stock of the production damage with a nice coat of Stylenrez

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

Looking forward to see this with some primer on, Bill :Tasty: Also because I know that, as if by magic, it will turn this multicolored thing into a smooth airplane :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Then comes the rectilinear-ish panel that some references say should be fibreglass coloured di-electics, just abaft the bomb bay

Centred in this picture

P1010018.jpg

I am busting one to see this in primer, a bit more work at the nose and we can begin to take stock of the production damage with a nice coat of Stylenrez

That's the doppler bay and it was in a different finish, I'm guessing a radome tan colour.

I'm not quite getting the holdback point earlier, Crisps shots above are of the holdback connection on the aircraft, just aft of the hook, it retracted into a triangular void.

Sometimes there was a triangle cover door attached to the hold back, but not always.

Good vid here showing holdback and catapult points

Cracking work Perdu, keep on Bucc'ing!

• Thanks 1

This is the bit I am describing

I carved out the recess that Matchbox don't even notice was there and I'm trying to decide if its worth going deeper considering I intend painting the recess black to hide it in plain sight

I rather think this will be deep enough given the triangular frame will be in place hiding the depths from view

P1010023.jpg

All pencilled in for clarity, should have done this last night so it was visible

• Like 3

4 hours ago, perdu said:

This is the bit I am describing

I carved out the recess that Matchbox don't even notice was there...

In fairness they might have based the kit on an RAF Bucc which did away with the hold back because the longer arrester hook extended into the hold back bay.

Your hold back area looks good to me. 

It was just an open area that it retracted into, however as built there was a panel/or door that covered the triangular part of the hold back (not the tail bit) and faired it in to the underside, but sometimes this was removed or completely left off.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

This is a good image to illustrate the hold back with the cover in place

970b9a7cca13d8105067d94d7ea82d2a--blackb

Note with this Bucc built for the RAF doesn't have a hold back bay at all with the hook extended into the area, where as the ex Navy ones kept the bay with the hold back removed and the hook extended into that area

636fcf4b539c09cc80ecfc3ebe2a4d53--blackb

• Like 3

That same plate would be on S1s as well as S2s would it?

Great photos, small black doppler panel for the FAA bird and the later style twin plate with fence type for the RAF?

Should my panel be narrower?

Questions always questions...

:)