Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

4 hours ago, perdu said:

So much 'wrong' with that picture

The tail demarcation runs in a line horizontally to just above the pen-nib of the jet pipe instead of to its tip

The front demarcation runs to below the intake lip instead of 'to' it

The radome isn't painted like 109s

And I do not have white outline transfers to make a 107 instead although I like the radome in natural fibreglass

But so much right, I am trying to build Ship's aircraft this year, Lossie isn't quite what I wanted even though the Station was so intensely involved in bringing Buccs into the service

At the start of this build I said I wanted a EDSG And White bird, I even said it to Tomo "at  the Brighton Conference*" but blimey it is beginning to look as if no two Buccaneers were painted the same

More research coming up which has to comply with the transfers available

About which, here is what I have got to date in 1/72thscale

P1010004.jpg

I'm not entirely convinced by the pale blue of the Freightdog sheet, what do you think?

but convinced or not at least I have some options, phew

*The Brighton Conference refers to a constant on-going running gag between the gaffer and me, I wanted her to feel at home when she sees it, one is sure she will one day  

I think the pale blue in the Freightdog sheet does look a tad dark and the MA004 is closer - I ended up using a Model Alliance 72121 on my S1 after a lot of comparison of the colours in the sheets - I also had a Model Art sheet 72/033 which appears to have the same aircraft as your MA004 but the white part of the roundels was a creamy tone instead of white and just looked wrong - every decal sheet that I have has a different tone for the pale blue!

CJP

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

The tail demarcation runs in a line horizontally to just above the pen-nib of the jet pipe instead of to its tip

i think whoever drew the decal plans was looking at an early S2 as the line there does indeed start at the pen nib.

buccaneer_s2_large.jpg

Having looked at dozens of pics of grey and white S1s in the past hour I haven't found a line starting at the nib yet.

35e39feaf6469d591e9c2e01d22139c2--blackb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2017 at 9:21 AM, 71chally said:

Middle one for me, but have they got the nose demarcation a bit too low?

When I mentioned that I was thinking of this scheme, my favouite.

I think it was very late, and only on some S.1s, more common on S.2s.

p1261793832-3.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

So-o-o-o-o many schemes

So difficult to decide

Maybe all over white was a good-er idea

:(

Back over there, where the Gannets fly free, I mentioned making the slots in my Buccaneer main gear covers

James wisely suggested using my Buccaneer wheel door slotting tool

So I did

P1140114.jpg

Here the slotter has made the impress in the door, basically like this

P1140112.jpg

The small slot screwdriver has been heated in the penny light flame and impressed into the cover

P1140119.jpg

There are a pair of recesses in the door inner panel, probably so the door can close with the wheels tucked away

My Expo driller with a small round burr bit fitted has whipped off all the excess plastic from inside

P1140120.jpg

ready to be tidied up

P1140122.jpg

The darker areas are shadow inside making them less reflective

A flash of Appliance White will tidy the holes no end

ciao

• Like 7

Sorry I'm late!

Still attempting to catch up fully with this thread but i'm 20 pages behind... Lots of lovely details being added and learning a bit as well.

A silly question to the Bucc experts: Were the outer wings plumbed as fuel tanks? I can't find any reference to this so have to guess they are dry?

My 1:48th airfix (a curse upon them!) Bucc has re-started after a 9month lay-off because the kit is utter guano. Weirdly things are going well and primer has been applied now, so extra work begins rectifying newly discovered faults.

The primer is showing up how pretty the shape of this aircraft really is.

• Like 2

I would guess they are dry wings, the only signs of drop or fitted additional tanks and the buddy refuelling pack fitting is all on the inner wing  section

There are no obvious pipes running out to the folding wing at the joints, I hope I'd have noticed as I am going to fold mine 

But we have so much available knowledge round here I hope we get the answer very soon

• Like 1

On 09/12/2017 at 7:53 PM, Scimitar said:

35e39feaf6469d591e9c2e01d22139c2--blackb

Great photo!  S1, 801NAS, HMS Victorious - early-60s RN personified.  Yum.

For the same reasons as Bill, I very much doubt that the outer wings were “wet”

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well looking at that picture again made the wibbling wobbling fool's mind up

That scheme, with raw fibreglass radome by the look of it, screams out to be the one

The radome doesn't look painted as they were later, does it?

Need to find a squadron badge and a big V for the fin but it looks like mine now

Serial number search next

4 hours ago, perdu said:

will that little man get a trossaching for going to sleep by the right hand wheel?

He's a bit clingy ain't he?  He must really love Buccaneers.

Possibly the ship's doctor has been summoned....

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Brownish intake interiors if I'm not very much mistooken, too

A difficult colour to identify given that it is almost always in darkness. Some shots it looks more green than brown.

Here's the same colour in an S50

379710.jpg

• Like 2

Personally speaking - I still very much disagree with the brown finish, or painted, intake interior thing.

I had a really good look over the FAAM S.1 (not easy!) with this in mind and my personal conclusion is that it is natural aluminium finish (as with many FAA jets) that has aged/tarnished to an offish metal colour with hints of brown, some photographs seem to exaggerate this

There is certainly no fibreglass lining, as to be expected on something that sucks that hard!  Intake skinning is pretty tough to withstand the pressure and bird strike damage.

Liking the silver Palouste in that shot, my guess is it was taken at Holme on Spalding Moor where flight testing was conducted.

All the internal fuel was in the upper fuselage.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

All the internal fuel was in the upper fuselage.

Thanks for that.

The sheer quantity that is in the fuselage is impressive, but my investigations into the wing-blowing systems and the vortex generators got me wondering due to the size and construction of the outer wing panels.