Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I get it

Its the s l o w bit innit

Sorry Neil, it's the pace my attention to staying awake makes me run at

See me later and I'll arrange a popcorn discount

Only for you mind, I'm not made of popcorn...

😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Great work on that nose, anyone that can capture that odd Buccaneer nose profile well is got to be doing good!

You get the impression that Blackburn really struggled at some stage with the radome to fuselage joint.

PS, is the S.1 profile exactly the same as the S.2?  Somehow they look a bit different in photos, but that could be down to other differences.

Thank you James, I can't really say about the nose shape but when I built the S2 as Matchbox made it years ago the shape didn't look wrong

But the pictures I have of the S1 make the pinched nose look very obvious

Further reading beckons...

😥

• Like 1

Nose looks good to me, Bill (buy what do I know?). So does the tail :clap:

The real AC radome is oddly shaped, you seem to have captured it properly. Hat's off, sir.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

PS, is the S.1 profile exactly the same as the S.2?  Somehow they look a bit different in photos, but that could be down to other differences.

I think it might partly be down to colour scheme variations.  There was no change to the radar between S1 & S2, so I see no reson why the nose profile would have changed.  Hiwever, I recently saw a picture (which I now can’t find) of a preserved S2 which has just been repainted with the early high demarkation EDSG / white scheme; the result at the nose was a sort of pen nib shape of EDSG in front of the pilot, and it made the entire nose look completely different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hiwever, I recently saw a picture (which I now can’t find) of a preserved S2 which has just been repainted with the early high demarkation EDSG / white scheme;

Sounds like you're talking about the magnificently turned out XN974 at Elvington, http://www.aeroresource.co.uk/news/blackburn-buccaneer-s2-xn974-unveil/

Nice to see a preserved Navy one with out the pregnant look!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm glad they kept her and even better that they weren't tempted to paint her differently. First production Buccaneer S2 First Royal Navy aircraft to fly across the Atlantic non -stop on 4/10/65.

(1950 miles in 4 hours 16 minutes)

To keep up the theme of Buccaneers in proper colours..here's XV157 at Farnborough with an impressive display of kit.

he2d03-raf-t-006686-main.jpg

• Like 3

Now that is the scheme I assumed Crisp was referring to, with the pen nib shape ahead of the cockpit

The nose cone shape does show on that one too, as on XN974 so I think we have that covered fairly well

Matchbox nose good-ish, but no ceegar

Shame there isn't a Palouste in that impressive line up, it would have been helpful for me to get a comparison size and shape for any naval aircraft display

That is the very one - I’m not generally a big fan of that scheme, but XN974 looks superb.

Unusual to see the recce pack separate from the aircraft; nice detail for future builds (my S1 will probably have the recce pack fitted, since that’s a simple way to solve replacing the RAF pregnant belly mod which is moulded on the Airfix Bucc I’ll be converting to S1).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Taking a cue from the pictures I have decided it is time to choose a bird

Three to pick from

P1010003.jpg

I'm drawn to the centre scheme at the mo' but a bit worried about the paint at the point look but I dont want the white fin either with the problematic white over grey join along the spine

After Bill (of THE NAVY) gave us his all-white one I decided then I wanted EDSG over AF White for mine so XN965 is out

XK533 gives us more debate over the colour scheme at the intakes and frankly there is enough complication in this build to keep me happy for quite a while

So 'Does The Team Think?'

I mean what does the team think?

I have begun treating the under-wings with Appliance White to see how it goes on and how it looks now it has

My first tin of this paint and I am suitably impressed, putting transfers on the glossy surface should be reasonably easy

I painted the airbrake components at the same time

I wonder if Halfords do a close match to BS381c : 640?

• Like 3

I like 682, mainly because of the radome. And the white fin! Why do you think the 'white over grey join along the spine' would be problematic Bill? If the upper/lower colour demarcations are hard edged (as they appear on the destructions) wouldn't that join just be a case of hard edge masking?

Whatever you choose, I'm sure she'll end up a little beauty!

Keith

I am a bit worried about that masking task, trying to get a straight join across the curve of the spine and make it parallel to the line of apparent flight, I feel the symmetry will cause unwanted curvy shapes

I am not against ALL curvy shapes I feel I ought to add, it's so easy to get misunderstood

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I like 682 too Bill - it has a natural metal leading edge as well. Not wanting to add to the masking problems but it does look cool :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All three are beautiful. I actually favour the all-white scheme but you said that was out, so my choice would be XK533's colours. But then it's not me having to paint it! 😂 

These are all such stunning colours on a classic jet that whatever you choose you can be sure it'll look fantastic.

The best era in aviation in my opinion.

You know what, if they aren't careful they'll lose that bit of string on the front

Dashed careless to leave it flapping about, what if it gets stuck on the propeller of the big boat?

Gosh it's a worry.....😨

My thinking was the painted radome would be an easier fix than the natural fi-glass nose but I'm still not convinced so it may come down to a coin toss yet

It is a lovely look

Riot old chap I decided early on that this was to be a two tone because we enjoyed a beautiful build a short while back by Navy Bird of an all-white bird so it was time for a change

White is nice, but not this time.  😉

• Like 1

It's a tough call Bill. I personally favour 109 as I like the uniformity of the grey / white two-tone which I think you lose with the white fin. That said I appreciate its attraction. Either way some fiddly masking lies ahead. I find using the reverse masking technique works well to achieve symmetry. Fritag used it to good effect on his Provost builds.

• Like 1

To me the perfect match is this: no white tail, loviz roundes, cream radome, bordered numbers and squadron badge on air intakes. Lack the refuelling probe makes it different from a possible S2 you may build in the future!

The 809th Sqn. white one is amazing too, but this is it!!! 

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

ew27_l.jpg

Edited by massimo2
  • Confused 1

So much 'wrong' with that picture

The tail demarcation runs in a line horizontally to just above the pen-nib of the jet pipe instead of to its tip

The front demarcation runs to below the intake lip instead of 'to' it

The radome isn't painted like 109s

And I do not have white outline transfers to make a 107 instead although I like the radome in natural fibreglass

But so much right, I am trying to build Ship's aircraft this year, Lossie isn't quite what I wanted even though the Station was so intensely involved in bringing Buccs into the service

At the start of this build I said I wanted a EDSG And White bird, I even said it to Tomo "at  the Brighton Conference*" but blimey it is beginning to look as if no two Buccaneers were painted the same

More research coming up which has to comply with the transfers available

About which, here is what I have got to date in 1/72thscale

P1010004.jpg

I'm not entirely convinced by the pale blue of the Freightdog sheet, what do you think?

but convinced or not at least I have some options, phew

*The Brighton Conference refers to a constant on-going running gag between the gaffer and me, I wanted her to feel at home when she sees it, one is sure she will one day  

• Like 2