Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

14 hours ago, perdu said:

If you look at the guide tubes that have come out of the rear cast stop block you can see they are 'loose' I have not seen any other pictures of the mechanism with them protruding so I conclude that maintenance work has allowed asymmetry to 'happen' the restraining structure seems loose in its location

This looks as if the stopper is less functional on the starboard brake petal due to loose stuff

When the pair of tubes is reassembled and the frame locked up the petals will return to the proper place methinks

The closer you look at that airframe, the more you realise how shagged it is (a technical engineering term with which I am sure most of you are familiar!).  I think the airbrake is not symmetrically open (starboard petal open less far than port) - I assume that is impossible on a functioning item.

I went to photograph the same areas of the S2, which is only a few feet away, only to find that it doesn't have a holdback - replaced by some sort of ?chaff-flare dispenser?.  I assume it was an aircraft that went to the RAF, who removed the holdback (having no need of such catapult-y type stuff) and then it was re-painted in its proper original colours once taken on charge by the FAA Museum.  

[P.S. Just checked; it was an RN S2 with 801 and then 809, before flying with 15, 12 & 208 Sqns (the latter most appropriate, being the legendary "Naval 8" of the RNAS); it was flown to Yeovilton from Lossie in March 1994.]

Since the S1 hasn't flown in 46 years, unsurprisingly it doesn't look in such good nick when you peer closely into open panels etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suppose its as good as we can get when the two arms operated the airframes in a totally differently manner

Unlikely for the proper holdbacks and associated ironmongery to remain on charge in a stores somewhere accessible too

It's likely that the flare holding devices would be needed if I make my s2 as a 'later' service one, certainly if I gave her the Gulf War stickers so popular lately

Not, as you will likely be aware, my scene

I am an afficionado of proper Green, Grey and L A G schemes with type D roundels

One must maintain a suitable amount of decorum of course

Thanks for looking so deeply into the matter Crisp

• Like 2

doh

:(

just picked up the fuselage after a few days adrift

Promptly let the radome tap the desk

Blunted it

Normal service will ensue

I think I will get the outer wings out of purdah and begin de-acrylicing the vgs again

Again

Anyone would think 'her' entreaties were taking root  (you ought to stop that blad=y modelling it doesn't do you any good to be into it)

They b'ain't, just normal amount of dead clumsy again

:(

• Sad 2

On 11/16/2017 at 2:08 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I went to photograph the same areas of the S2, which is only a few feet away, only to find that it doesn't have a holdback - replaced by some sort of ?chaff-flare dispenser?.  I assume it was an aircraft that went to the RAF, who removed the holdback (having no need of such catapult-y type stuff) and then it was re-painted in its proper original colours once taken on charge by the FAA Museum.  

The bulged belly tank (RAF only) gives that away.

Apart from not needing it, the RAF Buccs had the hold back removed as they had a longer arrestor hook (hope you're taking notes @perdu) extending in to the holdback bay of the ex Navy aircraft.  The later fit chaff box fwd end is built around the rear hook recess, kind of creating a notch for it.

Just noticed the discussion on the air brakes, the FAAM museum one is definitely off canter, I've seen it displayed with one petal almost fully open and the other in the almost closed position, guessing disconnected somewhere.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Giorgio, worry not

The radome was 'shaped' using De-Luxe Perf Plas Put (you know what!) and hardened with cyano gel (De-Luxe's Roket Max Gel) and just lost the tip

The length is now reinstated and awaits a gentle sanding to shape on the morrow

No problem

:)

• Like 2

Well, I'm relieved to know that :)

Actually, I'd have needed a multiple reactions option on your previous post, as the green phrase and thereabouts was quite funny .... :D

Ciao

• Haha 1

Don't let her talk you out of it Bill! Definitely not to be obeyed this time. Unless you're talking about using really small fonts my poor old eyes have trouble with :D

8 hours ago, 71chally said:

The bulged belly tank (RAF only) gives that away.

I didn’t even notice that; I was on a mission for Bill, so acting with laser-like focus, obviously.

Or I’m an un-observant sod.  Take your pick!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 2

The focus you showed has been duly recognised, a virtual Nautical Ossifer's drink (Horse's neck anyone?  Further to that what the hell IS a horse's neck  drink anyway?) will be raised in the mess

Maybe the bar at Telford will be a suitable place to replace virtual with actual, next time around

Anyway

I have had reservations about the shapes of a: the nose section, aft of the radome and b: the upper fin extension which I was advised to cut down by the Maintrack instruction sheet

The nose in front of the windscreen needs a steeper slope down to the radome's slim dimension and the fin extension, well I think I erred by cutting it back at the wrong end  DOH!!!

Nose

P1010086.jpg

Needs a bit more slope to the radome, which needs slimming down at the double ring section

Also in view the filled section behind the cockpit on the spine which will show when I fit the opened canopy

Matchbox mould a recess in there to allow their canopy to fit snugly, having built their Bucc as an S2 many moons ago I know it makes for a neat and tidy closed canopy

Maybe I should have...

The next two shots show how I got the fin extension wrong and some of the rectifying I am in the middle of

P1010084.jpg

Very blurry I know but it does clearly show that I now have the front end of the fillet  getting close to where it ought to be

Not as contrasty but maybe a better pictograph

P1010085.jpg

The upstand at the back needs to be a bit taller with the top edge nearer to horizontal on top

Also visible here is the pencil line my triangular chisel wllh be tracing to make the moving tail section a  bit clearer later

Finish the fin first Bill or Massimo will wonder if you have gone to sleep again  :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I'm shocked at your remarks Hendie sir, I'll have you know I have spent massively on the three Buccaneer kits I own

This one alone cost me £8, The Frog-alike that is next in the queue was a pound and the Matchbox S2 in desert colours was

er

Oh yes, as there wasn't a canopy my mate gave it to me

But the RN after market decal sheet was a few bob too, I like to lash out on a good time, me you know

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

God that is even worserer than whisky and dry ginger

Thank you Crisp, I'd imagine it tastes more akin to the other end of the equine species

I have wondered about that since I started reading books with RN orfissers in

Reeman and Wingate guilty of non-disclosure  ;)

(Probably ought to have asked a long time ago)  :)

• Haha 1

Presumably that’s to take the taste away?  A HN is a criminal waste of good brandy (highly unlikely in any Wardroom I ever encountered), or it’s a doomed attempt at disguising the taste of rubbish brandy.

Dreadful stuff, unaccountably popular.  Give me a gin & tonic instead any day of the week.

• Like 2

Well

Having suitably (I hope) disposed of the topic of oddly popular unusually named naval officer's choices of drinks I hope to extend our workings out of the topic that has been keeping me just a tad unsettled

Would the foreman of the jury pass this vison in 'loveliness' round  for inspection please

P1010083.jpg

This is the nose area of the Buccaneer model as moulded by Matchbox/Lesney and assembled slightly ham fistedly by the defendant

Can we note firstly the area behind the canopy on the aircraft's spine, this has been filled because the maker intended their rather thick clear part to sit in a recess that is not on the real deal

The defend... oh hell lets call it me.. I filled it to allow some look of reality when the vac-formed canopy is shown slid back which will allow the interior to be visible, there is a rise which does not comply with the Bucc's spine shape

and more importantly and vastly more worrying and which has been getting me knickertwisted the nose runs smoothly down to the pointy front bit

This is not how it looks on the Bucc

This is how it looks on the Bucc

P1010140.jpg

Copyright John Myers by the way, thanks to him

Notice how the radome is stuck on to a differently shaped nose cone which is remarkably unlike the kit nose

And take note of the spine behind the cockpit, for the benefit of any juror who is unsure of the term the cockpit is the bit on top near the front where the people sit, this is curved back down towards the front

The defendant is going to be fixing that

be in no doubt

But in the interim he has had a bash at the wrong front shape

P1010135.jpg

The defendant wonders if the jury is satisfied with the amount of taper he has induced or should he get more destructive?

Under the nose he has already removed the camera pod and sihrsc'ed the taper on there

P1010136.jpg

I suggest members of the jury that reshaping of the pointy but will sort that out for now, but await your verdict before the sentence is passed

And in addition the tail end upper fairing has had serious attention too

This is the modified built up area at the start of play

P1010130.jpg

You can see the real shape above on the great shot of 119 landing a curve fore and aft is needed

I think this is close but needs raising up on the central uplands

P1010138.jpg

This has been a small reminder that there is more to Naviation than bent wings and propellor differences

This  really an appeal for consideration please

• Like 10

To me the nose cone seems the right shapeand you've done a nice intervention on the tail top. For these areas, I know I've been coward, buying a resin set by Alleycat for mine , but there's so much to do, I thought a little help wouldn't be bad!!!;)

Anyway you're doing great and I must admit I envy the plastic bright colors of an original matchbox, which reminds me when I was a bit younger!!!

Mine 's an all grey Revell reboxing ...a bit anemic!

I forgot to say in my last post @ark royal last cruise thread, but last night I had a bad dream: a french guy who got lost was shouting me :"need more air, more air!!!:rofl:

good night 

Massimo

• Haha 1

My other Matchbox one is in a desert sandy colour so I only get the one set of originals

I'm hoping the sandy plastic is a bit softer than the original though

More air?

Hmm sounds familiar-ish

(The intake you have done looks far better by the way)

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Having suitably (I hope) disposed of the topic of oddly popular unusually named naval officer's choices of drinks

Although, on these cold mornings I'm sure a mug of Pussers Kai (or Kye) would go down well.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi70sf6nu3XAhVJNxQKHVuFB3sQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.navy-net.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Fthreads%2Fcoco-drink.43764%2F&usg=AOvVaw2h2CmC9KW6KyqJhG2zCZky

The nose is a much better shape and therefore I would say that the defendant is acquitted on this particular charge.:innocent:

Judge Martian

• Thanks 1

Great work on that nose, anyone that can capture that odd Buccaneer nose profile well is got to be doing good!

You get the impression that Blackburn really struggled at some stage with the radome to fuselage joint.

PS, is the S.1 profile exactly the same as the S.2?  Somehow they look a bit different in photos, but that could be down to other differences.

• Thanks 1