Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

3 hours ago, perdu said:

got three new chisels from Little Cars, the F1 a nice slimmer one than my 3mm on

Me too! Or rather I purchased a 3mm one from them  having heard so much good about those items from others and already rather regretting not investing in a couple of the other shapes.

:nodding:

I can also confirm that  the 3mm is perfect for removing human skin due to a slippage earlier taking the  mould line out of a Dornier hub...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure Crisps shots will be better than mine, but just to get you started,

24527479638_e752c570a2_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd catapult hook by James Thomas, on Flickr

36108093414_df45a13a56_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd catapult hook by James Thomas, on Flickr

36940995145_6e11d6da05_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 hold back & deck hook area by James Thomas, on Flickr

If you can get your hand on the FAA instructional film 'Buccaneers' (a must for S.1 builds) you get to see the catapult hook doors in action, snappy little buggers!

I do like the look of that circle cutter, even if I don't have a need to cut circles!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mmm just as well we didn't see it Bill cos I suspect you'd have made me buy it. Pretty impressive piece of kit tho. Bill made me buy some of those chisels too Tony, Albion Alloys tube and more fine mesh than you can shake a stick at. As the others have said, it was a great meet up, proper bostin to meet up with you folks. And as I said Bill, the Gannet book is fate. To be continued...

• Like 1

Thanks James no wonder they don't show in normal pictures

Blackburns thought they looked untidy so they tucked them away, for neatness

Lovely

And I may be able to leave them hidden acos parked up  :yes:

nicely nice

Tony, Crisp and any other users take note

The chisels, things of engineering beauty as they are, are machined flat on the angles

That is fine but they are only just sharp, as are any chisels you buy in a shop

To cut smoothly and closely with minimal effort they need to be slightly honed, I advised Tomo to use a fine oilstone

(I suggested wet'n'dry at first but he told me he had a stone)

Make several light polishing runs, keeping very flat with the angle of grinding and when the face becomes shinier stop

It will now be properly sharp and thus safer to handle

Dull chisels dig in and catch and cut you because sticky-catchy-yucky

Honed chisels slip effortlessly through the cut material and there is less reason for them to turn on you

There is a lot of useful info on honing chisels and plane blades out there

Well worth looking up

(I used fine 400 grade  wet'n'dry to start mine off at first, a dab of light oil will let you get that amazing cutting edge)

Addenda:

Some of what Tomo says is a untruthfulness... We had to stop the lad buying mesh

He bought almost every sheet of etch mesh he saw, a very nice hexagonal mesh at a zillionth of a millimotor too, one piece

Blarry amazing and almost visible to the human eye

I mean....

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

thanks again for the coffee!

My pleasure.  The only problem was costa took so long to make it that it reduced my cross-examination time of the witness as to his Spitfire flight :D  said witness had better not forget the details by next year.......

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Besides, who wouldn't want a massively over-engineered means of cutting perfect circles?

Not me. I wouldn’t not want one.  I wouldn’t not want one very much even tho’ I don’t want to paint roundels and can’t think of any other reason I need one.....it’s loooovely.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Feel the envy Crisp  :)

It’s being beamed from Berlin too....

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

luckily they’re out of stock. Saves €60+ !

Phew.  Maybe this feeling of need will pass........

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I don't want one either... much.

Breveco Modelling are out of stock. @Ex-FAAWAFU is that the guys you bought yours from?

But I found something similar and slightly cheaper - the Shadow Hobby Thinnerline.

Like Crisp I need it for cutting roundel masks. Honest. Then I thought 'How do you make sure the concentric circles are aligned?'. Do you hold it tight and adjust the cutter for each circle and then move on to the next roundel? With the 'bar type' cutters you have the hole in the middle for alignment... if you can manage it :hmmm:

Sorry for the thread drift Bill.

• Haha 1

Oh no matey you don't get away with apologising for technical research round here

I'd want apologies if you were not encouraging hunting for snarks, gubbinses and toybox essentials

Its very nice too isn't it

But phew

Not available for packing and delivery before the 26th of the month...

Plenty of time to decide "La la it's only a toy you don't want!"

Even though I might

😨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How on earth do you pronounce the random collection of letters that apparently make up the manufactures name?

Just out of interest you know, it's not as if I need such information in order to search for one.....

I mean, just like the rest of you, I don't really need one. No really, I don't. Honest.

Keith

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I don't want one either... much.

Breveco Modelling are out of stock. @Ex-FAAWAFU is that the guys you bought yours from?

But I found something similar and slightly cheaper - the Shadow Hobby Thinnerline.

Like Crisp I need it for cutting roundel masks. Honest. Then I thought 'How do you make sure the concentric circles are aligned?'. Do you hold it tight and adjust the cutter for each circle and then move on to the next roundel? With the 'bar type' cutters you have the hole in the middle for alignment... if you can manage it :hmmm:

Sorry for the thread drift Bill.

Those are indeed the nice Dutch peops who relieved me of my money in return for shiny tool goodness.  They even dropped the price a little at Telford.  A little.  It was still not exactly cheap - but the level of (fnarr) tool envy being displayed confirms what I already knew; namely that we are all as bad as each other!  After all, you don't get cheap punch & die sets, either - but when you need them, then nothing else will do.

[Incidentally, I was massively tempted by the "Single-blade Nipper", made by the same unpronounceable people, which was for sale on the same stand.  I resisted that one... for now; but it did feel a heap better than any side cutter I possess at present...]

I am still experimenting with the circular johnson, but am confident that you will be able to do concentric circles easily enough, provided you do all the cutting in one sitting - but that's how I'd have done it with an Olfa, too (though I never really got it to work very satisfactorily).  I also bought some Aslan ?vinyl? masking material at Telford.  I think it's vinyl; certainly feels exactly like the stuff Montex use, anyway.  Unlike the cutter, this stuff was cheap, so I bought 10 A4 sheets of it; more than enough for experimentation.  I will report results as I try things (though not with the Walrus, because I already have some professionally produced masks for that).  And if the Aslan stuff doesn't prove satisfactory, you can get A4 sheets of Tamiya yellow "kabuki" - I used it extensively in masking the Sea King.

BTW, thanks for the chisels tip, Bill; I have used my existing chisels so much - the square-headed one in particular - that they are starting to lose their edge, so your advice is well-timed. 

Enough tool talk; back to Blackburn's finest!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

How on earth do you pronounce the random collection of letters that apparently make up the manufactures name?

Just out of interest you know, it's not as if I need such information in order to search for one.....

I mean, just like the rest of you, I don't really need one. No really, I don't. Honest.

Keith

Define "need"...

• Haha 3

I have the Shadow Hobby Thinnerline version that CedB links to. For cutting concentric circles I cut on an old clipboard and clamp a set-square to the board for the cutter to sit in. Correct position every time!

If I have more than one set of circles to cut I use up to four set squares (all I can fit on), that way I can cut each one in sequence at each adjustment.

• Like 2

Greetings oh photographer of note

From a dank day in the West Midlands

but indoors  (I have just delighted my self by ordering the parts with which I shall be getting all grubby fingered trying to repair the Midget)  :(

Dec7, was  that the date of the other hall's open day?

Yes, Dec 7 - tickets available from http://www.fleetairarm.com/event/87.aspx  - I will be on the 14:30 slot.

Buccaneer S1.

Starboard catapult bridle hook:

38407449192_9b9ba00d7c_h.jpg

And again, from directly below:

38382728926_04203e5d27_c.jpg

Starboard wheel bay, with Gyron Junior:

38382726466_7266b3861f_h.jpg

Port catapult bridle hook:

38382723636_eaa2be5d87_c.jpg

And again:

37551936915_ddd1ae821d_h.jpg

Port wheel bay, met Gyron Junior:

37551937295_343ae0ef40_h.jpg

Hold back:

37551936455_088a0e7de8_h.jpg

Hold back bay (on left) and open air brake seen from below:

38382719786_7f48b7f9f6_h.jpg

Arrestor hook:

37551935305_0105bce772_c.jpg

Air brake from behind, with holdback visible below it:

38382718286_a270ef19ca_h.jpg

Tail bumper:

37551934835_5f55990f67_c.jpg

Hope those help!

Crisp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

marvellous Crisp thank you

I presume the doors are normally shut on the deck/ground and get sprung shut after launch

I need to decide whether to have her hooked and poised now or simply parked tidy

I am sure the airbrakes would not be open if she is on the strops so parked probably looks most realistic

Edited by perdu

Not much to chat about tonight

Lots of insides fettling on the Gannet, not worth any more black pictures of black widgets getting scraped away so I won't talk Gannet just nows

But in a desperate a spirit of exploration I tried out the 'dig a little triangle' method of fixing the vortex generator which was replacing THAT one

The Franz von Werra of vgs that got away last week

I am happy to report back, it works

I dipped the little cut off stem at the base into settling 'Gator's Grip Acrylic Hobby Glue non-toxic' and drifted the stem into the slot I put in the wing ready for it

Looks OK to me

P1010041new_vg_in.jpg

I ought to have opened Paint to put that circle in, but I am still tentatively trying out the image handling inherent in Win10

Ropy but useable if you have steady hands maybe...

I don't

Hoping to get a splash of Mr Hobby Extra Dark Sea Grey on tomorrow, but if the  day is OK I may fix the Midget instead

• Like 5

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

That pic of the air brake from below is interesting, it definitely looks as though it's offset to port......

Ian

If you look at the guide tubes that have come out of the rear cast stop block you can see they are 'loose' I have not seen any other pictures of the mechanism with them protruding so I conclude that maintenance work has allowed asymmetry to 'happen' the restraining structure seems loose in its location

This looks as if the stopper is less functional on the starboard brake petal due to loose stuff

When the pair of tubes is reassembled and the frame locked up the petals will return to the proper place methinks