Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

15 hours ago, perdu said:

I just realised I missed Tony, the Baron and his son

Well we didn't feel missed Bill. It was a genuine pleasure to meet you and thank-you so much for the effusive introductions to everyone else there - we felt incredibly welcome and amongst friends at once.

I'll post a fuller account of our trip over on my Dornier thread a little later today.

:bye:

Tony (& son)

• Like 4

Bill....as this wos ScalemodelWORLD....does that make you the  World Champion of Gentleman's scale Wobbly-blob constructuers?

Well done...the cream always rises

• Confused 1

I remember 'posing' for at least one photo standing behind the Martian! Apologies but I don't remember who took it... hopefully it will get posted when people get home :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Bill....as this wos ScalemodelWORLD....does that make you the  World Champion of Gentleman's scale Wobbly-blob constructuers?

Well done...the cream always rises

Roger you should have been there, Steve Friday could have used your help with the hod-full of cr..unge he kept bombarding me with

😁

Its a pity you couldn't come and play

Just a note, (I've left a bigger one on Tony's Dornier thread)

4+ gave the trophy

And one of their magnificent books, for the Fairey Gannet

That really was a wonderful prize huh

Ciao, I'm off to the library with a fine beer and a book to assimilate 😆

• Like 4

I’ve let you down Bill :(

Wanted to get the second instalment in the post before going to Berlin today for the week.  Failed to find the time.......

Did tart up the artwork tho’ ;)

62C723E9-1092-4769-A6EA-89C29C2FA2C1_zps

So you - or Tom come to think of it - could take the plunge now and have em done by the time I get back? :whistle: You know you want to -  you know you’re going to :giggle: and that goes for Crisp and Ced and Tony and Giorgio et al......oh and of course hendie  will be on line soon to.....

I do need someone to teach me how to solder tho’.  I feel very under skilled in that department :mellow:

Thanks for being master of ceremonies at Telford, Bill.  It was short on purchases for me - pathetic haul really:

861B673E-688E-4402-999B-BF5FE2CD4F1C_zps

But long on enjoyment with the pleasure of everybody’s company.

• Like 6

Widget fingers... hmmm :hmmm:

Really great to meet you Steve and thanks again for the coffee!

Have a great time in Berlin... and perhaps, when you get back, you could do me / us a favour and summarise the bits of kit in your successful etch solution? Who knows, I may even have a go...

• Like 2

Let me down?

Why do I not feel let down at all then?

Those widget fingers look very clever, which considering they came from Bruce at Pinnacle does not remotely surprise me

The guy is a genius, I must ask him for some at t'club on Sunday

So Ced got coffee and I got bu*l*h*ne, sounds like the story of my ...

He he

Steve there is no risk of etchery in my immediate future but if by an odd chance you felt the need to pop those pieces of artwork onto some brass I would be honoured if I could be your first paying etch customer

P+p included too perchance

All in all I had the time of my life, minus mistaking the wrong guy for Nigel who was standing right next to me. 😣. 😥. 😧.  😨.  😩

I'm hoping young Nigel will grace my club with his presence if the opportunity arises

Oops. 😕

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought I would share this

If you know of me you will know from various random occurrences where my interests lie

Hence my pleasures from last weekend included getting these

P1140087.jpg

The great chaps at 4+ gave me the book which is even better than their tome referring the Mighty Wessex

And I finally found a scale model from which my Mark 2 MG Midget will arise, in a scale I like to use

The Mark 2 Sprite is the same car with early BMC badge engineering

Fun times ahead

:)

Edited by perdu
tidying some of the mangled English
  • Like 6

The 4+ Gannet book is indeed most excellent - as is the Sea Hawk equivalent, which I also possess.  A 1/32 Midget!  Sign me up already (though I had no idea that you ever built anything not in 1/72, Bill); can you warn us when you start building that (assuming you will document the build) - I tend not to loiter much on pages away from aircraft and ships, and I definitely don't want to miss a Perdu MG!.

Since Steve is showing us pictures of his Telford acquisitions, you should see this:

26617056509_830185dd1b_b.jpg

My previous cutting mat had got so pitted and stained that I was actually losing parts on it, so behold a pristine work surface (and enjoy it while it lasts - which will not be long).  Worth schlepping around Shropshire with a blooming great A2 green thing under one's arm, don't you think?

Since many of you saw the assorted bulging bags I was carrying, I won't even try to claim that I was as abstemious as Mr Fritag.  The only kit I bought was the new Kinetic 1/48 T-bird - a kit for which I have been waiting ever since they announced it (I held over on 899 pre-Bulldogs, so have a Harrier T4N and a Hunter T8M in my logbook, both of which simply have to be built!).  Otherwise it was mostly glue & tools - such as an additional micro chisel, since the ones I acquired last year see almost constant use and I regretted not having bought the right angle shaped one.  Had it been ready for the show, I would almost certainly have bought the Atlantic Models Ark Royal 4 (1/700, but still a thing of beauty), and definitely the Airfix Sea Fury - but neither was there, so my bank manager breathed again.

My one extravagance was this beastie:

38392871561_ef9b82052d_c.jpg

My Sea King build taught me that that painted roundels etc are wonderful, but thus far I have had no great success (to put it mildly) with my cheap Chinese Olfa-clone cutter - and masked roundels really HAVE to be perfectly round!  Rather than keep on paying Miracle Masks or Montex (both of whom are excellent, but not cheap), I saw a review of this tool a few weeks ago, and thus far it is every bit as fantastic as the reviewer said.  Besides, who wouldn't want a massively over-engineered means of cutting perfect circles?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Oh bugger

Want Want Want Want Want Want Want Want...

I wish you'd showed me that at the show, I would have been up for that too

I got three new chisels from Little Cars, the F1 a nice slimmer one than my 3mm one

A T2 which is a fine triangle which will help with undercuts and edge straightening and a beautiful R2 that will be used for curved routing out

A new set of Albion Slide tubes and some Colourcoats Antiflash White for a certain Naval aircraft with the proper thinners too from Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies

Lots of 10A and 11 scalpel blades and my very favourite Swann Morton blades to round off an oddly expensive time for me

I rarely spend a lot at Telford because my local model shop needs my money to stay open

We need local models shops, they'm a dying breed

Now where was I?

oh yes ~ Want Want Want Want

:)

• Like 6

Speaking of A Certain Naval Aircraft, I am going down to Yeovilton on Wednesday to take some pictures of the Walrus, Sea Fury & Seafire XVII.  I will take a tripod with me, just in case in need anything on the Flight Deck exhibition (which is great, but very low light).  Any requests for shots of parts of the S1 (or S2, for that matter!)?

Hi Bill,

I don't think I quite put the face to the name at the time, but thank you for dropping by!

We're currently somewhere near Laurencekirk and I am thoroughly fed up of vans! Only another hour or two to go now though ...

• Haha 2

Thank you for your offer Crisp, there are a couple of'grey areas' in my photo narrative so a picture or two would be fantastic

I could use pictures of the catapult launching hooks and the device/gubbins or otherwise described thingmy that hooks on the deck at the tail on a tripoddy thing

I can make the model reasonably but it would be nice to get more like 'bang on' with it

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Thank you for your offer Crisp, there are a couple of'grey areas' in my photo narrative so a picture or two would be fantastic

I could use pictures of the catapult launching hooks and the device/gubbins or otherwise described thingmy that hooks on the deck at the tail on a tripoddy thing

I can make the model reasonably but it would be nice to get more like 'bang on' with it

Assuming you mean the holdback...

OK; S1 catapult bridle hooks and holdback gubbins it is.

Anyone else need pictures of specific parts of Naval aircraft?  I have just bought a ticket for the annual opening of the Reserve Collection (Cobham Hall) on 7 December, so even obscure naval aircraft could be accommodated in due course - basically, if the FAA Museum have one, let me know and I'll see if I can photograph it!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My one extravagance was this beastie:

Have you been nicking bits of the Matrian's transport?

That looks like a great piece of kit. I wouldn't know how to use it but like my dad's micrometer which I now have,I would just look at it and admire the engineering.

• Like 2