Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

Bill thank you for enlightening me with the difference between a bubble and a bibble. Seriously I now have another word in my lexicon. I know Mr Churchill advocated learning a new word each day...bibble...well it is in context of the defence of the realm so I think he'd approve. Keep persevering on the wingfold and Mr Fritag's inspired legs. Erm don't get any ideas from those WRENS though, stick to cold showers and LEGO.

With due deference to my friend, m'learned friend no less, I far prefer the legs of the denizens of the Wrenneries, WRAF-ers and ladies of the WAC forces in general if not specifically

But the Buccaneer has been poorly served 'leg-wise' in the nose leg department, rectification proceeds with the usual 'make sure it doesn't GET TOO BIG' on the scratch build bits

James I am as I write gathering the wool pictures that will enable me to get the Gannet window opened

"Look through the crankywing shaped window children, what might we see?"

Back on the wheel front it has been a job and a bit to find a suitably sized tyre in the spares box (The awfully drastically reduced spares box that is all that's left me after a catastrophically daft chucking away of kits, bits and paints many years ago) but I have one/four all leftovers from the Airfix 1/72 scale Jaguar I used to start the three Jags ball rolling a while back

This gave me the raw basic round thing shape to get on with...

P1130799.jpg

Filed thinner with the, yes you guessed it, SIHRSC and then with a good old spin in the Expo drill used as a lathe

If you do daft stuff like this don't use the front of the blade edge unless you want the blade to dig in to spinning plastic and hack bits off you

I know this because

I was younger and foolisher once, back then when I was young and fo....

If you use the back of the pointy bit of blade held gently you can impart shapes and grooves where you need 'em

The one I did earlier is?

P1130802.jpg

Yes, the one on the right, I've slimmed the tyre section as well as slimming the entire wheel and carved a rounded tyre on the outer edge

There is the beginnings of a wheel rim too, but frankly I need daylight to get that nice

So it can wait

I told you I'd begun to copy for conversion the Frog main wheel, I open the mould gently then seeing a small obstruction (you can stretch and manipulate the latex to twist it out of the way) I sliced into the obstruction with my scapel to clear the way for extraction

The obstruction was where the axle should run through the wheel nave, I forgot to block the hole when I made the mould buck

I slipped the scalpel point across the edge of the hole

And cut off the entire inner wheel face that sat below the rim level

Doh back to the garage with a pair of new batteries for the shaver too...

:(

They say you live and learn

I've just had my free over seventy driving licence replacement

I have learned nuffink!

:whistle:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

I actually needed to "reactions" to your last post, one being the "Like" I casted and the other being the HaHa :D:D

Amazing micro-machining on that wheel :worthy::clap:

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

I've just had my free over seventy driving licence replacement

:hmmm:  not sure I get the sense of this phrase straight ... :confused:  :D

Ciao

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I am also attempting a Fritag on the...

Story of my life too Bill. You're much closer than I am.

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Off to shops in a min' I'll pop em out when I come back no doubt

Look, I'm trying to give up the... no, no, I mustn't... nrrrgggghhhh.... fnarr fnaar!! :wicked: 

• Haha 4

OK it is Let's do British idiom for Giorgio time  Giorgio when we British idiots pass our driving test the licence is set to expire at age 70, so mine had on it 'valid til October 2017' although in a weird number combination designed not to tell your friends or neighbours how old one is

As a young, freshly licenced driver the year 2017 was further away than bus rides to the moon

:)

Guess what?

Here we are 2017 and at age 70 the British Government issues a photolicence valid for three years, I have had mine early because they destroy ones old ones when we apply, mine came two or three months extra 'grace period on the same day as my wife's new photolicence

The office must have decided to hold hers until mine came through

They sent them in  two separate envelopes on the same day 

Ced I fear I will never get there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

They sent them in  two separate envelopes on the same day

Ah, Bill, the old 'married but not, necessarily talking' procedure that'll be. Mrs B and I have an online 'joint' account with my money in it which she doesn't access, at least not online. I set my options to 'online statements' to save trees but they kept sending paper statements. Why? 'Cos it's a joint account and she hasn't logged in. Madness :mental: 

You're 70? You don't look a day over 55... :D 

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ced I fear I will never get there

I know, I know, me too (but you're still much closer) :D 

• Haha 3

Bill, thanks a lot for the "Let's do British idiom for Giorgio time" :D  :D  Very appreciated (and caused a good laugh too) :thumbsup: 

See, I got the sense that it was something like you just explained, I was only slightly puzzled by the word "free" in your original sentence - like: is it a free replacement or a free driving license, so you get to drive whatever you're able to put your hands on? :D OK, I'll get my :coat:

Ciao

• Haha 4

Ah Giorgio, if only...

The fun one could have, if one had strength, to climb up into one of massive leviathans of the road trucks have become

I had a licence to drive trucks when I was younger but that expires if you don't keep your medical certification up to date and as my then manager told me he wouldn't be expecting ME to drive HGV again at "medical time" I allowed it to lapse

I should have kept it going for longer it seems now

The renewal licence is free, we do not have to buy a new licence once we pass the test

:thumbsup2:

What they do not tell you is that you need to buy a new photo-licence, because the photo is deemed to have aged less than the person pictured, every ten years so I expect to have to keep getting my photo changed three or four times, at least

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

so I expect to have to keep getting my photo changed three or four times, at least

:D I certainly hope so. With all those wing-folded aricraft you still have to build ... :whistle:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Now I did not know that James, maybe I should check out the wheels that Frog / Eastern Express put in the Vixen

And copy them instead

Otherwise you just gave me two more wheels to make. 😨

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Mr Fritag's inspired legs

''Tis true that putting in the road miles on the bike does trim up the old calf muscles.......

10 hours ago, CedB said:

You're 70? You don't look a day over 55... :D 

Bill, 70?  Nay - can't be so.   Mind you - I'm a tad too close to 55 to entirely agree with Ced.  Say rather 'not a day over 59'.  I'm happy with that separation......

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I know, I know, me too (but you're still much closer) :D

Me three - He's much closer than me 'n all.  He's gonna build my Jag legs - he don't know it yet....but.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 3

Looking again, the S.1 has different main wheels to the S.2, doh.  They are quite different. 

The Frog SV wheels aren't brilliant (but probably better than what you have) it has to be said.  

There is the nice Aires resin set but I guess you're trying to avoid the AM route, or you would just buy the SAC Buccaneer set.

However, the nose wheels look similar to each other, and the Frog one looks pretty good.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Correct re: am stuff James, I go on the basis that if they can do it...

Steve and Ced, aw youse guys is just trying to make me embawwassed

Its working, but I could show you mine

My licence Ced, please let's we have a bit of decorum

I'll have Branston on mine..  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2017 at 11:46 PM, perdu said:

So now I am going to have two Royal Navy ones and a RAF one

I can see from the wing-fold suggestions that, quite rightly, subtle hints don't work...

...just saying

p1806584207-3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right, I have the Highplanes Sea Vixen kit, the main wheels are a very good representation, and the nose wheel is a nice resin item.  They would certainly be nice masters for an S.2 build

I'm willing to take the risk if you are!

With the S.1 main wheels, it might be worth checking through references, but I have seen pics of at least one with the S.2 style wheels, but might be a museum Bucc.

Here's Newarks S.1 wheels, http://www.jetsofthecoldwar.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/buccaneer-s1-walk-around/IMGP2910.jpg

Edited by 71chally

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I can see from the wing-fold suggestions that, quite rightly, subtle hints don't work...

...just saying

Even the subtle threat of my blurglecruncheon does not seem to have worked!

Martian

• Like 1

James those are the wheels I am trying to get by drilling a million tiny holes in my next resin master

I hadn't realised there'd be two different ones to choose from for the S2s

I'm not going to mess with the Sea Vixen wheels though

Unless they have the holes already. 😨

The Frog/Eastern Express ones don't so that can stay unmolested

Phew

Just to clarify Perdu, the Bucc S.2s have the gazillion hole wheels which a very similar (minor detail differences) to Sea Vixen, some S.1s seem to have that wheel as well - maybe a mod after the one seen in the picture above.

The Highplanes SV kit recreate these wheels well, even representing the brake unit on the back of the wheel.

I am willing to send these to you for masters.

What are the Frog Bucc wheels like?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

p1806584207-3.jpg

Since we were talking ages a bit back there,that photo made me look back my log books (Yes,I'm still a spotter) and on 07 September it will be 50 years since I saw XV349 on her delivery to NASU at HMS Fulmar. 

Of course she wore proper colours then.......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Just to clarify Perdu, the Bucc S.2s have the gazillion hole wheels which a very similar (minor detail differences) to Sea Vixen, some S.1s seem to have that wheel as well - maybe a mod after the one seen in the picture above.

The Highplanes SV kit recreate these wheels well, even representing the brake unit on the back of the wheel.

I am willing to send these to you for masters.

What are the Frog Bucc wheels like?

Look very like these James

P1130816.jpg

I was going to rebuff (gently) your kind offer to a loan of one wheel (ONE ONLY please) but if they have the right nave pattern I would be a massive fool if I did, so I won't

I doubt if the nose wheel can be that close though, the Frog one looks to have very little in common with the Bucc

Truth be told I enjoy the leg engineering sessions as much as the rest of the build so I am happy just to make the nose legs but the Bucc wheels are a tad overengineered  for my abilities perhaps

not quite the same view, hampered by the lost flash effect  :(

P1130818.jpg

At least the 'good' mould is delivering the shape in resin, the one on the left came from the one I sliced inadvertently  :whistle:

Scimitar you must admit the angled LAG undersides made the Buccs look very smart

Although I like the RN and RAF Bucc schemes from that era

EDSG and blue codes, just how smart was that huh  :thumbsup:

Now I must tell a tale of one and a half Gannets

Catch you laters

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4