Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I'm bliddydamned sure he will Keith although spiritually I'm with Steve, all that bending cannot be good for any kind of hinges

Anyway in addition to getting on with a small project for Richard (yes I've begun) I have also been finalising the M-B Mk4s

The pull handles that makes the seats say bye-bye to the aeroplanes have been painted (ish) and added to the seats

Airwaves give you both handles for both seats, at least I am fairly sure the loop ring is supposed to be the 'grab between your legs it's quicker' handle as well as the lairy head box grabbers

And yes Steve, leg restraints

The back-seater's restraints are on the seat, there aren't many places to droop them tidily over back there

The driver has straps I will be looping lazily over the steering device thingy, it is a handle that pops out of the dash, for all the world like the handbrake on my Uncle Jim's Vauxhall Cresta from the sixties

Posh company director he was, we went to visit them in our old Morris 8, and the Austin Ruby and the A35

Every time we went he had another new Vauxhall always registered something GM

Anyway, 'nuff digression

P1130781.jpg

P1130782.jpg

ciao chaps

I should be closing the fuselage soon then I can get on with the airbrake scaffolding

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Sorry Crisp, Fleet Air Arm fanatic that I am, even I would have to give best to the TSR2

Since TSR2 never dropped anything, even in practice (except maybe the odd loose panel), that's complete conjecture.  It might - might - have been a world-beater, but personally I think a large part of its mystique stems from the fact that it never had to deliver all those things it was claimed it would do.  There were reasons why the cost spiralled out of control; the technical challenges of what it was being asked to do (with 1960s technology) were formidable.  See also Avro Arrow.  But we'll never know, will we?

I stand by my claim re the Bucc.  Paper / cancelled "superior" aircraft are just guesswork.

Leg restraints?  In 1/72?  Bill, I salute you as a fellow nutjob!

• Like 3

Amazing detail on those Ejection seats especially when you shrink the photo of them down to 1/72 size - the Buccaneer is progressing along nicely & the Gannet is a pleasant surprise - I have a COD4 & AEW3 using Novo Gannets/Aeroclub/Airwaves as the basis made about 14 years ago before those nice Trumpeter/Revel/CMR kits came along.

CJP

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Folding wings?  Strikes me that aviation and origami - whilst both admirable activities in their own ways - are best kept separate.......

You can't say that..I have you flying Sea Furies in your Hawk thread!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I stand by my claim re the Bucc.

That's two of us!

I liked the story (even if it is apocryphal )about the Buccaneer testbed for Tornado avionics being hidden away at Farnborough and quietly forgotten about when Tornado first came into service.

Couldn't possibly have been a winning combination could it?

• Like 1

I wonder

Were they really allowed pointy shoes?

Nice legs but why the hell did the 'tog stand em in front of the intakes?  :(

Would have been a great innocent (wot me guv, luv?) reference picture

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I stand by my claim re the Bucc.  Paper / cancelled "superior" aircraft are just guesswork.

Do we have a time 'limit' or some other criteria like 'jet' here? Otherwise I can think of a few other British bombers that might take issue and claim to be the 'best' - Lancaster and Mosquito to pick just two of quite a few...?

But if we are talking post war jets then the Brick gets my vote too!

Keith

edit ;  sorry Bill, forgot to say those seats are cowin lush mun, to use the local vernacular phraseology!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

sorry Bill, forgot to say those seats are cowin lush mun, to use the local vernacular phraseology!

:frantic: :frantic:  :frantic:  :wacko:

:D 

Ciao

• Haha 3

Amazing work on those seats, fantastic.

Those Buccs in the photo are S.2s, so I don't care where the WRENS are positioned!

I have to absolutely agree with @Ex-FAAWAFU post, and great to see it put across that way. The mythology that surrounds the TSR2 annoys the hell out of me.

It was a fine prototype, but nobody knows how good it may, or may not have been had it reached service. 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I havent been a fan of TSR2 for quite a while, even before I got to read some of the less than fulsome reports from the testing

The biggest ANTI though was constantly piercing my scalp on the little VHF aerial under its bloddering nose when my club remembered to book us a space at Cosford

wounds from THAT are almost recovered, I think we are in for next year

if it happens  :thumbsup:

Whilst still trying to sort out pictures of the rear seater's service pipe and cables, that part of the S1 seems to be forever shrouded in mystery, I have been playing around with the extra hard plastic to see if this is a viable 'thing'

If I get this right I can forge ahead with this part of the Frog model

Does the team think?

P1130789.jpg

huh?

P1130790.jpg

The plan of course is to make a mould of these bits in latex then simply produce however many I need

The triangular brace by the retraction ram will be tape shrouded to enable resin removal from the mould of course, this will allow filling the mould with resin

Of course later on I can stick the wings on as planned after I make two zillion vortex generator triangles and place them on as required

Can't I

• Like 9

The holey things in the wings - if memory serves - are for the blown wings/ boundary layer shenanigans. Quite important on the Buccaneer.

Looking good! I had a boss once who, instead of saying it in full, would say 'ATD on this project/ scheme/ task please'. He meant attention to detail, but couldn't be bothered to say it full, which was, we thought somewhat ironic. My point is, that you've got the ATD.

Yes I know about the blown ducting Rich, and I have to confess that not wanting to give in to my ATD monkey was why I am not making this one folded

I have to fold the Frog one whether I S1 it or S2 it, a promise is a promise after all

The Sea Vixen too, for luck and giggles

• Like 3

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I havent been a fan of TSR2 for quite a while, even before I got to read some of the less than fulsome reports from the testing

The biggest ANTI though was constantly piercing my scalp on the little VHF aerial under its bloddering nose when my club remembered to book us a space at Cosford

My dad-in-law was a Master Air Engineer in the RAF (Britannia's and VC10's - 'Queens of the skies') and his Warrant was signed by Dennis Healy - much to his chagrin given that Dennis Healy as Secretary of State for Defence in the Harlod Wilson government cancelled the TSR2 project.  He refused thereafter to ever have his Warrant on display!

I look at TSR2 and think I had a lucky escape.  If we'd continued with it I might have ended up having to fly it in the 80's.  Whatever its merits (as to which I defer to those more learned than myself) it's way too big and bomber like. That's a bomber cockpit not a fighter cockpit - complete with autopilot and doubtless a cup holder and cubby hole to keep your sandwiches and newspaper.........(I might have wandered a bit there) :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

GR aircraft not being nuffink like bombers, natch!

Gotcha!

He he

It sure looks a long way up into it too

Double extended crew ladders?

Whistling lineys humping them onto to fuselage then lifting the upper stage to latch it on

I did like seeing it fly on the Pathe newsreels, but I like seeing anything that flies

OCD, we calls it

😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I assume the TSR2 galley was scheduled for the Mk.2, Steve!

By the time more modern tech had shrunken the black boxes and automated the back seat role I s'pect they could have fitted a bunk as well......

• Like 2

You jest sir, surely Martin and Baker would have installed reclining seating in plush draylon with a choice of Ice, Forest or Desert themes

The bunks would have been reserved for the hostie to rest her aching footsies after a long sortie delivering leaflets and Coca-cola

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2017 at 11:28 PM, Martian Hale said:

He'd better and we expect a good looking Wren to go along with it!

I figured I could mod an Airfix Blue Tit for the Wren:

A03831_Airfix_BlueTits_Instructions_2.jp

Panels 7 & 9 on that sheet have to be the most savage instructions ever - like something a cruel child would do...

On 8/14/2017 at 6:48 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have a 1/48 ASW Gannet in my stash.  When I build it, it will have folded wings.

Just saying, Bill, just saying.

[Cough] 1/48 Barracuda. [Cough, louder]

On 8/14/2017 at 11:34 PM, perdu said:

I'm bliddydamned sure he will Keith although spiritually I'm with Steve, all that bending cannot be good for any kind of hinges

I'm reluctant to fold the wings on my AEW Gannet as I've no wish to unnecessarily compromise its body-confidence with sharp angles. 

Bill, there is some superb Buccholstery on display in that seating arrangement; I simply cannot get enough of that top stuff! :thumbsup2:

Apologies if this is already a known quantity but there are some fine S.1 deck operations and aerial shots from the mid-sixties here, starting at about 9.26:

Blow On.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

😂

I agree with you about those instructions - "teach little Sidney how to dismember a Great Tit!". Yuk

I'll pop back into that movie clip again but all I want before buttoning up the fuselage is the location of the back seater's service hose and cables, do they come off the side floor by the seat, like the front ones?

The BIB has his seat displaced to the right so I wondered if maybe they'd been moved to the port side to allow access

I see from reading Buccaneer Boys (thanks Richard) that the connectors on the waistcoat doodahs are the same though for both seats

• Like 1