Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

For a change (yes I am frequently quite/very stupid and forget the walk rounds) I did look but couldn't find the upper part of the nosewheel bay

But I'm stupid and can easily miss stuff

I need the roof and the mainleg hinge point

I don't intend making a fully working bay but I need to be able to assess the relative heights against the cockpit floors, then I can get bashing the consoles and work out whether any of the side ledges Matchbox fitted can be utilised

BrigadierGeneral Milord Melchett is going to do a 'delve' into his own copious and extensive library of wonders for me later

Or possibly he'll send Baldrick down into Melchett Matravers Castle's crypts looking for that old cardboard box the mem' chucked down there three years since with a few Box Brownie shots in it...

In yonder interim I'll pop back to see if I did miss anything

Cheers James

• Like 5

If you are going to all this trouble, you might as well go the whole hog and fold those wings. Go on, you know you want to. :devil:

Martian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I need the roof and the mainleg hinge point

I don't intend making a fully working bay but I need to be able to assess the relative heights against the cockpit floors,

Do you mean nose leg hinge point Bill, don't think the mainlegs are anywhere near the cockpit floors? 

Can't help personally I'm afraid.

Looking forward to this one as much as Wospie!

Keith

Don't get your hopes up Keith, dropped the port intake section

On hard laminate floor

Guess?

Yup three pieces, two of which I still own  :thumbsup2:

One owned by the gods of nether darknesses

It is a small section of intake rim which dropped two little segments as it split

The main body and the remaining little bit are back together bemoaning the missing bit, as  are I (torture a language? Moi? ...)

I plan to mould a new rim section from the good starboard one tomorrow morning, sun up and possibly gives me time to stumble into the missing bit in a slipper or a stout outdoor walking boot at just the maximum pain threshold

Which I deserve for clumsy see

The intakes are beautifully moulded but they do not give the pair of small rectangular intakes between the lips and the fuselage so I get time to work on that soon too

Now back to the fut.. last post

Keith I do mean the main leg, the main nose leg as opposed to the retract link

but yes of course me wrong again  :(

Martian, did you miss POST ONE?

The wings will not be folded

This model is going to have extended brake petals because often seen parked that way (and I have this Airwaves thing I have a need to try out. One has to be good surely?)

I have yet another Bucc to build navally, it will be an S2 and as it will be built into next year's 'twelve month plan' folded noses, wings and tail petals are highly possible

This year's all folded special is done, I need a fun quick build now

This might be it

Might

but there is no way the cockpit that Matchbox gives me is up to the job, nor their bang-whizz seats neither

The nose wheel sat on a flat bit level with the base of the fuselage and there is no cockpit floor

of which more...

As I mentioned the nosewheel (and leg) are stuck to the base of the fuselage which isn't good enough

I've extended the leg with a length of Evergreen rod and begun restructuring it

And stuck the tail cone together

P1120838.jpg

And cut off the fuselage section of the cone ready to cast new bits to play with

The nose wheel leg is wider than the wheel well, funny huh

Well I'm moulding some new bits to get playing with and the rear fuselage will be getting lots of attention so I'm replicating that too

P1120844.jpg

This is Wilko Blox which is inferior Legolike

It does not click solidly together so I like to seal the box before I cast moulds from it

Plasticene floor to seal the base edges  And then a coat of Johnson's Clear to seal the brick joints

P1120845.jpg

do you see it?

Green brick with yellow to the left, blue below and white and red above

Nice little slot there? Hmm not sure, we'll watch that

get scales and begin measuring latex into a 2gm cup

P1120846.jpg

and add ten percent by weight of catalyst

P1120848.jpg

roughly does it for me, I always have more catalyst left when the latex is done but the scales deviated here, I read 86 before I added the red goo so I set up to add up to 94, slight oops will not cause a problem in setting time

One problem I have in not having a beautiful assistant shows itself at picture time

I was loading the latex using the time honoured 'bombs away- drop from a great height' method but when it was picture time the cup just got lower and lower anyway, here's latex pouring into the mould

P1120850.jpg

I was almost out of latex so I need to order some more from Scarva

In order to get the fill height up enough to cover the pieces I'm moulding from I often fill the spaces with bits of old, not to be reused latex

P1120854.jpg

I then tap the mould body vigorously with a hard implement to encourage as many bubbles as possible to rise out of the mix

Tomorrow I will (should) be able to cast from these, I'll make the 'fix' bit for my intake nose too

More busy times in the casting facility huh

;)

• Like 12

There are some handy pics in there.

Probably the best thread is thread, scroll about half way down for some fore to aft nose bay shots.

You can make out the leg hinge point, but it is behind the retraction jack, think it's hard to get pics of due to being so close to the front of the bay.

There is this schematic from the Buccaneer.co.uk site, but probably not quite what you're after,

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Airframe_Detail_Index.html

A friend of mine had a Bucc cockpit, I seem to remember that the floor level was higher than the u/c bay roof, with the rear floor stepped up from the first.

Nice bit of casting there!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Nice link there James, you always seem to find them, ta

I was looking at the filled mould this evening after dinner and the surface seemed hard to the touch and a cocktail stick lifted the once loose pools of resin easily so I did what my mom always said I shouldn't

I started picking at it/the walls

Et violet

P1120855.jpg

hmm that looks promising

The resin is a trifle old so if anything I'd expect it to take a little longer to 'go off'

so further delving...

P1120858.jpg

Dry all the way down too

I had to really didnt I?

I mean, you would wouldn't you

P1120859.jpg

controlled brutality won

P1120861.jpg

In winter's chill I'd expect that to take 'til tomorrrow morning

Summer bonus

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't get your hopes up Keith, dropped the port intake section

On hard laminate floor

Ouch! I have no doubt it'll be as good as new soonish though Bill!

I'll be interested to see how the Airwaves air brake stuff 'fits' - that's another set I bought before intrepid BM pathfinders showed the foolishness of so doing!

And as to bits deflected on parked Buccs, I am straining my brain trying to remember something a friend told me about why the inboard flaps are 'always' down on parked Bricks. But I can't, maybe something to do with some interconnection with the wing fold mechanism? Which if it is of course, you need not think about it. I did do some google 'research' a while ago when thinking about starting my CMR kit  to see if the flaps were indeed 'always' down but it's surprisingly difficult to see in many pics..

I really like that idea of bunging in the used silicon rubber to bulk up the mould - must remember that. Probably won't though!

Keith

6 hours ago, perdu said:

and possibly gives me time to stumble into the missing bit in a slipper or a stout outdoor walking boot at just the maximum pain threshold

Nope.  Never work.  Not a chance.

go barefoot - you'll find it in a few mins.

• Like 1

Left slipper, I kid you not

😕. 

But. 

Only half of it, how in the name of pierce brosnan it broke even smaller I just don't know

Anyway there is only a very small bit of MIA to deal with after breakfast ( note to Giorgio, I'm trying not to add rubbish to your already impeccable vocabulary of anglo-saxon ) so its to be a half hour of castingery

If you want pictures I'll try to handle fifteen things at once and the camera

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

note to Giorgio, I'm trying not to add rubbish to your already impeccable vocabulary of anglo-saxon

Much appreciated, Bill :D:D

MIA = Missing In Action?

Ciao

• Like 1

Not sure exactly which bit of the nose oleo you are after, but hope these help:

34658916750_fd586368f1_h.jpg

34658916160_2cc302c01c_h.jpg

34658915590_46f10a7c56_h.jpg

34658914870_be55c9fb1b_c.jpg

Delicate, fragile little things, aren't they?

[XN964, Newark's S1]

Also, see PM

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Nice video!  There is something incredibly evocative about watching an aircraft spread / fold its wings.  Since in my era the Stovies were flying jets without wing fold, I'm not sure why it stirs my WAFU soul so much, but it does.

Incidentally, Bill, are you aware that one of the main visible differences between RN & RAF Bricks is that only the Air Force had a light on the nose wheel - I assume because destroying the FDO's night vision while marshalling was close to being a capital offence.  FAA: no nose light

• Like 6

I'll say this again, James is the master of finding wonders in archives

Any bugger's archives

That is a brilliant video James thank you

This build I'm happy to be being in heavy concentration on the tail feathers folding, but next time round, as I mentioned to the resident alien Martian, I'm up for all folded and canopy slid well back

Begins around November time at present rates, an S2 of the F.A.A

Unit yet to be decided

It won't be a R.A.F version though, I've already had my fill of Red Flag stupefiers 

I made that Desert camo. with a green and grey tail one that was a stunner back in the day

This is my Naval Aviation period, all we artists have a blue period I understand

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁. 😇

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

BTW, have you seen the 'Buccaneer' film? it was a R.Navy instructional following a crew of Bucc S.1s on Eagle c.1964, superb clear footage including Vixens, Scimitars (inc AAR with the Buccs), and Wessex.

'Hands to Flying Stations' of about 10 years later and on board the Ark is very good as well,

Some would say that I have too much time on my hands, though it seems to be diminishing to me!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

I think I can sit back awhile whilst you entertain us all James ta mate

but I wont

I did go casting this morning

first assemble the vital gear (Blunt needles via friends on here, you know who you are ;)  )

Syringes picked up in the autojumble at Race Retro

Stick, Mr Wetherspoon

P1120862.jpg

Engine bits ready for running repairs later

The moulds to work with

P1120863.jpg

the needles on the left got ruined because I couldnt work out a way to remove thickening resin from uberthin or uberbent passages  :(

Next

The resin, shake well

then shake it well again a few times to distribute evenly amongst the goo

P1120864.jpg

I use the syringe tube to mix the mix in, 'tain't really a good idea but when you get 'at it' the time you have is limited, so I try to keep working time to the premium

P1120865.jpg

First half mixed and now the second half

P1120867.jpg

Shaken AND stirred

And plunger inserted ready to pump into the moulds

then some residual resin scraped out and used to repair the intake hole damage

P1120868.jpg

the best mixed resin gets hardest soonest but the drawback to mixing in the tube is that some takes a while longer

P1120869.jpg

The clearerererer resin hasn't gone off yet, although it will

Just noticed I didn't do a very good shot of the repaired intake, that's it behind the mould there on the left

The little blob is hardening nicely

Cleaning out the syringe is key to long time re-use, I often use the spare resin to redo old projects, here is the syringe getting gooey gummy resin scraped out

P1120870.jpg

P1120871.jpg

Using the wooden sticks it is possible to reuse the syringe lots of times

when dry...

P1120878.jpg

One worked

the rest didnt but the one I want did

ciao

• Like 10

The third door on my Midget James

The handy boot rack enables a relatively flat working surface to go with

Flat is quite important when you use scales to weigh ingredients  :)

• Like 1