Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I have been grazing in the Groves Of Academe, or the interweb thingy today

I have made decisions and identified goals for the build

I will be cutting away the slab of plastic the nose leg sits on and making a wheel well

I am still trying to get some decent info for the box's internals, but that will come

I will be opening the comedy airbrakes, must be worth a laugh if nowt else

Adding cockpit thingys of course

And weapons stuff, waste of time making a bomber that cannot carry a bomb or a few

vortexy doohickeys, lines and lines of the blarry things, yes they will be there

I will not be

Adding wing fold details

So no folded wings, the wings ain't getting folded even though Matchbox gives us two piece wings for the model

No wing folds

laters guys

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, perdu said:

2 hours ago, CedB said:

The tension is killing me... (boozy lunch!) :D 

Keep an eye out Ced. If a fourth dot appears he might be trying to signal us something.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, perdu said:

I have been grazing in the Groves Of Academe, or the interweb thingy today

I have made decisions and identified goals for the build

Sounds a bit corporate for you Bill, got me a little worried for a moment.

20 hours ago, perdu said:

And weapons stuff, waste of time making a bomber that cannot carry a bomb or a few

vortexy doohickeys, lines and lines of the blarry things, yes they will be there

Ah that's better, feeling reassured now: bombers carry bombs! Not much point otherwise!

• Like 1

I made it in time for the second page :).

Scampering all over BM at the moment. Dropping instructions, transfers blowing out of my hand, slipping on plans, treading on dropped canopies :frantic: .

Glad to have made it. Got an armchair by the fire, a nice notebook and pen,  and a pint of Mild :cheers: .

Original Matchbox kit in all its multi colour glory, a Buccaneer and the prospect of much detailing and learning.

Just marvellous :).

Best regards

TonyT

You might have noticed that there is no update yet, but there as been no serious work either

The Matchbox nose wheel bay is at odds with the drawings I'm using so I've moved the hole back a tad (tad and a quarter actually but you'd never notice) and am ready to begin building the new 'box' but that can wait til tomorrow

Tuesday is our night out for Steak and Chips and the odd libation so I am reluctant to handle knives and razor saws 'under the aflluence'

Still the hole is cut out ready for walling and roofing  :thumbsup2:

I am about to undertake a search now for decent S1 drawings, the best I have at the mo' are for the S2 which it seems is less relevant than it might have been

;)

• Like 5

Hoorah

CJP has sent me the best S1 plans I could have wished for, thanks Chris

So now we're off

Work commences later today, nosewheel bay first, cockpit next

• Like 5

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Tuesday is our night out for Steak and Chips and the odd libation so I am reluctant to handle knives and razor saws 'under the aflluence'

I can't decide whether you're telling us that the steak is usually very tough where you go, or that you generally end up eating with your fingers on these occasions Bill.

Not that I haven't experienced both conditions myself...

• Like 2

Tony the sirloin was melt-in-the-gob wonderful

As was the 1664 which necessitated a strict limit, there and a few/many top ups here at home later

Tuesday is sacrosanct, steak and beer/pinot night for we poor old pensioners at JB Ws place

• Like 6

Wednesday was research day

I went from front to back of Melchie's Bucc thread hoping to crib his nosewheel bay

Oh well

I've glued the very weird tailcone together in order to begin cutting it up

I've decided to cast the weirdness as it is, then using a couple of castings begin to make new airbrake blade/cones 

I haven't had time to do pictures but at the moment I have cut the brake end off ready to mould a new one today

Once the mould is ready to cast new bits I'm going to start cutting the kit bit to clean up the skew-whiff conical ends

I'm not sure why I used to think this part of the kit was OK. Dohhh. :(

I've cut out the nose wheel bay ready to box in and yes, I did get lots of fine detail from Melchie's cockpit area to plagiarise

His ejection seats are blimmin magnificent, not sure I can make anything that good but I've a couple of MB mk4s I can use as a start

I understand the mk6 thingy is a remodelled early version

But that's another day's research

Off to look up Bill's magnificent S1 build now after sorting the mould unit

Laters folks

• Like 8

Have you checked out Neomega Resin, they have some nice Buccaneer stuff, cockpit, undercarriage, ejection seats.

Robert

• Like 1

Glad you had a good steak. Looking forwards to seeing the fruits of the casting.

Bung ho!

Tony

Ps. I noticed that you'd previously like this posting over on NavyBill's S1 thread, but this has to be one of my favouritest aircraft photo ever ever:

CAz87q-WcAAO6GQ.jpg

Image credit: Rowland White https://mobile.twitter.com/RowlandWhite/status/580116554219700224

• Like 8

Mine too

I like the Neomega stuff Robert but my usual penny pinching way is to see if I can't get close enough with Mr Swann and his mate Mr Morton first

We old pensioners you know

(Come on you lot, who is first violin this morning?  Plaintive. OK!)

Joking apart I usually try diy because I've been disappointed before, I had an after market that didn't fit the Jagwarr I was building, put me right off

Edit

Thanks for the link Geoff, that would have been high on twenty one quid for a seven pound old clunker I picked up at Telford, before I get round to adding stores.

😀

I think I'll see how I get on ta

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Joking apart I usually try diy because I've been disappointed before,

More fun for us as well Bill.

With the seats - might I suggest taking the same approach as for the tail?  By which I mean mod-up a Mk4 or whatever you use as the base seat and then use that as a master to cast a couple of seats that only need belts adding?

Nice big open cockpit the buck - and the seats will be highly visible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

We old pensioners you know

(Come on you lot, who is first violin this morning?  Plaintive. OK!)

Joking apart I usually try diy because I've been disappointed before, I had an after market that didn't fit the Jagwarr I was building, put me right off

Dad tries that line quite a bit but as no one sees him going without anything he wants, sympathy is a bit thin on the ground!

I heartily agree with you about the DIY approach. One can waste a whole heap of money on the after market stuff only for it not to fit.

Martian

• Like 1