Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

Regarding 'Squirrell Grey.

I have seen drawings and a decal sheet which give XT277/320H, XT280/323H and XT281/324H , all of 809 NAS,in the lighter grey scheme but have never seen a photo (cue for a plethora of them to appear)

There is a drawing of XV156/100E of 800 NAS with the lighter grey undersides but again I've never found a photo.

Good films of HMS Hermes off Aden with Buccaneers,Sea Vixen, Gannet and Wessex here: (all safe downloads )

http://www.faaba.co.uk/faaba/faaba_videos.htm

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

I was considering converting the Buccaneer to an S.1, but I'm not bowled over by the available resin intakes.

I have also got reservations about the whole engine nacelles area from intake to jet pipe nib fairing, I think it was all different but trying to substantiate that is difficult.

Crisp, I need no persuasion, I'm one of the few that thinks that the TSR2 cancellation was good thing, apart from the Buccaneer, the RAF may have never got the Phantom, Harrier or Tornado either.  I think they appreciated the Bucc once they got their hands on it. 

And let us not forget the RAF exchange pilots that were flying Buccaneers off carriers from the mid 1960s.

The nib fairing was certainly different; haven’t ever really noticed other differences in engine bay shape that would merit the re-work in either of our scales.

My comment re the Bucc was with a large amount of tongue in cheek (though it is true that the Crabs were very rude about it... until they got them).  

[But I agree with you re TSR2; binned, so in a perfect position where it can be - and often is - assumed that it would have effortlessly delivered everything that was hoped... and no-one can disprove it.  See also a lot of Luft 46 stuff]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Hi all - I found these Buccaneer photos on a plan I pulled from an Aeromodeller magazine a looong time ago - it is listed as Aircraft described Number 164 - sorry about the wrinkles on the photos but I had covered the plans at some time with clear plastic to protect them with mixed results - the forward fuselage dividing line between EDSG/Squirrel Grey is different on each Buccaneer - the old Modeldecal sheet no 20 could be used for this scheme too I think if you can find it anymore

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The nib fairing was certainly different; haven’t ever really noticed other differences in engine bay shape that would merit the re-work in either of our scales.

My comment re the Bucc was with a large amount of tongue in cheek (though it is true that the Crabs were very rude about it... until they got them).  

I did take it as such;)

The engine nacelle thing is hard to quantify, but to me it looks like the whole length of the underside of them looks more curved in profile on the S.1 and perhaps lower across the top.

Would love to overlay factory drawings of each type.

13 minutes ago, CJP said:

Hi all - I found these Buccaneer photos on a plan I pulled from an Aeromodeller magazine a looong time ago -

CJP

What a find, thank you, XV157 'E-100' even has the recce pack fitted

• Like 1

Well,I did tempt providence didn't I!    Of note in those photos,as @CJP states,is that the lighter grey follows the exact line of the two styles of demarcation between the white and the EDSG.

Regardless of whether or not the white undercoat made the EDSG look lighter,we have yet another  colour scheme to model.

In between my decorating I might just make a list of the variations in colours and markings.

Wonder if it's more than the 15 (and counting) for the Scimitar?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Dinner was fine, but then I did have to make it!

This is a handy pic showing how flush the recce pack was

65944_1173264681.jpg

Yes, when you look at an angle such as this (eye line just about flush to the lower fuselage line), this pack really doesn't bulge much if at all below that line. 

As for the Squirrel grey debate, I agree we have another colour to consider, be it deliberately different, or a consequence of a lighter underlying colour (white).

Why is modelling so complexicated?

:worry:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, when you look at an angle such as this (eye line just about flush to the lower fuselage line), this pack really doesn't bulge much if at all below that line. 

As for the Squirrel grey debate, I agree we have another colour to consider, be it deliberately different, or a consequence of a lighter underlying colour (white).

Why is modelling so complexicated?

:worry:

Well it beats Lego for me, although that rocks their boat for others

Just think though any model of, say, a Buccaneer for example will be of an unique entity

The next one down the line is different enough to be an entirely different prospect

Them Leggoistes can't say dat can dey?

😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I'll check with my mate up at HMS Fulmar (as was).

Quick reply:

Richard  :  -    Very brief reply ( pending some " digging " in next few days , & on the Manston & Usworth incidents ) ;  -  I can confirm from clear memories that XV156/100 E had a medium grey ( much lighter than EDSG ) underside in November 1966 ( back to white u/side by mid December 66 )  ;  -  also when I queried Aviation Workshop/Model Alliance about the colours for XT277/320 H on their decal sheet they assured me that their info was definite ; that it had a medium grey underside briefly in ( May ? ) 1966 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Haven't you finished these yet?......what the deuce are you playing at man!

Ahem. Bill, do you think I dare I mention a certain 1/48th Tornado (& even further back in dim & distant memory, a 1/48 British Toom...?! :P:D)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ahem. Bill, do you think I dare I mention a certain 1/48th Tornado (& even further back in dim & distant memory, a 1/48 British Toom...?! :P:D)

Keith

It might be worth a giggle

Of course it may bring back the old geezers gout and flaming apoplexy

Yes go on do it, has to be worth a giggle

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to mention a certain 1/24th Buccaneer....there, thought I'd say it before you did...

Of course it may bring back the old geezers gout and flaming apoplexy

Hang on...yup, yup, it did :angry:

& even further back in dim & distant memory, a 1/48 British Toom...?! :P:D

Funnily enough Keefy, I plonked some primer on the old thing last summer...latest from the front...it still breathes but is on life-support, apparently there is hope. Just to make you feel better someone kindly gave me a load of resin bits and decals for it recently too :bleh:

• Haha 3

Its about time you know yer sirship, let us we have some big Buccedness soon huh...

Anyway, here in a more gentlemanly scale I have been getting very dusty up here in my garret

P1010071.jpg

Roughing out began

0.160" of doubled up 0.080" cuts out a treat

and accepts the wonders of sihrsc willingly-ish

P1010072.jpg

Yes we have much to and further to go

P1010073.jpg

Soon be time to Milliput the intakes on

But that will be after this gets 'there'

I think the dimensions are about right now to get this on board

P1010075.jpg

This must have been a wrench for the guys who flew and loved the mighty banana

Close enough yet?

P1010076.jpg

I think maybe tighten the chamfer a bit more, but at that width and I can start adding details

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, perdu said:

Its about time you know yer sirship, let us we have some big Buccedness soon huh...

And I'd completely forgotten that one Bill! The General must have a huuuuuuge shelf of doom, eh, what....?! :D

Keith

I think he probably has a dis less used hangar allocated to his requirements at some vast Lincolnshire exWW12 airfield

A place where idle winds find their way quickly through all your layers of 'windproof' Camo DPM whilst you wander around listlessly 'guarding' his stash

:whistle:

• Haha 1

Ruddy Nora Bill.  :king: Three nights it’s taken me to catch up. But what a catch up. :o The Buccaneer isn’t a plane I considered but after seeing what your doing here x2 I’m adding her to my ever growing list.

I did see you were building this ages ago but must not have clicked the “Follow” button. I will now be following along with a massive grin, enjoying watching these come together. Did someone mention paint? :fool:

exquisite work sir.

John. 

• Thanks 1

Ah John I saw you dashing a spray of likeys along as you played catch up, glad you have enjoyed some of the drivel and taken in all the really interesting stuff the 'nana brings out of our colleagues

Thank you very much

The mighty Bucc seems to bring out the very best of our friends "I rememberitis" doesn't she

Paint, yes I expect a 'painting in the garage fest' in a day or so, first though to get the paint has to be my Gannet, she's been hanging around patiently for a few days now

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hendie said:

I almost bought a 1/48 scale vac form Buccaneer at the weekend but then saw the  nose  profile and thought better of it.

We are missing a treat now

The nose profile on the Matchbox isnt much to write home about either but there are things we can do

I'd love to see a Buccaneer get the Hendie treatment  :(

@hairystick, this Frog one is pretty well Rovex, only the intakes and bomb bay missing

;)

(Well probably...)

• Like 1