Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I have a couple of the original shapes that I will try to adapt first-off but the pair of crates might just be better fully scratch built

You could always depict it in rotated / closed position!:lol:

• Haha 1

Last week I could have depicted it closed...

:rage:

If I'd had brains enough to ask for your assistance last week I would have simply built a more accurate one over the belly bay

Ho hum, at least we have been able to get a definitive view now

Where did I put that Milliput?

• Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks for the tip!  Any recommendations for RN 1/48 after-market decals?  Any (Naval) squadron will do!

^^^ Thankfully those helpful chaps above have supplied an answer.

Sadly I haven't ventured down that track as a Crab Air version is what I'm doing. The Tanmodel kit will become the RN version, featuring a EDSG / White scheme, whenever it gets released.

I'll probably take a decade to recover from this airfix abomination though, so am not hunting down decals at the moment otherwise they will have passed their use-by date when I need them!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I can send you  XV346/656LM of 736. Eagle and Lightning bolt on fin or XV358/107E of 800. White 'E' on red chevron on fin.

Chose one and Massimo can have the other 

That is extremely kind... but I have been a moron; I already have the MA Aerobatics Teams sheet (used for Gazelle and will be used for Seahawk).  I hadn’t thought about it for a Bucc.  So S2 of 809 appears sorted., and I already have S1 transfers safely stashed away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hairystick said:

Sadly I haven't ventured down that track as a Crab Air version is what I'm doing. The Tanmodel kit will become the RN version, featuring a EDSG / White scheme, whenever it gets released.

My next build when I can start again (contemplating it as we speak!) is going the same route! 

Intially I was going to do a Navy one but in 48th it is a lot of the same colour, will probably go for a very early gloss RAF one with the full colour roundels, in contrast to the many lovely weathered 'bricks' out there.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a lot of the same colour; but it's the right colour.  The Buccaneer was, after all, a Naval aircraft; however much our RAF cousins might have embraced it in later life, the fact remains that they spent several years pooh-poohing it and trying to kill it off, and only accepted it with deep reluctance following TSR2 & F111.

[Exit left, dodging irate crustacea and dancing a swift hornpipe]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes, it's a lot of the same colour; but it's the right colour.  The Buccaneer was, after all, a Naval aircraft; however much our RAF cousins might have embraced it in later life, the fact remains that they spent several years pooh-poohing it and trying to kill it off, and only accepted it with deep reluctance following TSR2 & F111.

[Exit left, dodging irate crustacea and dancing a swift hornpipe]

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

I've got plenty of big kits in the right colours, Sea Vixen underway, another to follow, Gannet, a Scimitar and Seafire down the line.  Then there will be 72nd Phantoms, Gannets and maybe a Bucc at some point (Tanmodels willing!), certainly enough to use up my stash of Humbrol 164!

I was considering converting the Buccaneer to an S.1, but I'm not bowled over by the available resin intakes.

I have also got reservations about the whole engine nacelles area from intake to jet pipe nib fairing, I think it was all different but trying to substantiate that is difficult.

Crisp, I need no persuasion, I'm one of the few that thinks that the TSR2 cancellation was good thing, apart from the Buccaneer, the RAF may have never got the Phantom, Harrier or Tornado either.  I think they appreciated the Bucc once they got their hands on it. 

And let us not forget the RAF exchange pilots that were flying Buccaneers off carriers from the mid 1960s.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

You can have any colour you want using combinations of EDSG and white :wicked:

There were also the two variations of the experimental Squirrel Grey colour, which I have considered!

• Like 1

Now I am beginning to rebuild a base for the new pack

P1010067.jpg

I will not be doing much more today

Upset the gaffer again, opened a tube of Humbrol Filler indoors

mistake :(

P1010068.jpg

Tomorrow I will build the base for the recce pack over this framework

ciao

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

A man of your experience!! :chair: 

:D  :D 

Nice structural job, Bill :clap: I noticed only now that this kit has raised panel lines; are you going to rescribe them?

Ciao

• Like 1

"Who dares... " Giorgio

On another day it would have set and evaporated the flashed off portions and I would  have got away with it

I cannot use PPP for every job, it just does not have the resistance to rubbing I need for the nose cone

To be honest I hadn't remembered how strongly its volatile parts smell

Not her fault, mine and I ought to have done it in the garage with the doors open

I am going to rub the lines off and give thought then about whether to replace them with trenches

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Just laughed like hell at that!

I will avoid using filler at all costs, I hate filling as a job, Id'd sooner chop the kit around to make it fit, or add in plastic.  However today I was pushed to using the very smallest dab of Humbrol filler for the first time in an eon.  My god, the earth shook and the air was blue - and it stank of filler!

This hobby can be hard work, for all the wrong reasons:dalek1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"I'm sorry, I have a cold..."

Never did a Python quote mean so much

I hadn't realised it has stunk out the upper floor of the Mansions

First opening of a new tube so all the spare solvent liquid was at the opened cap end

Mea culpa, would be surprised if I get dinner after that  :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

and "Squirrel Grey"? :think:

There is doubt that this actually existed.

Thought is that it was the EDSG painted over the white undersides which made it look lighter.

I have seen reports of  FAA Buccaneers painted an overall lighter shade of grey..possibly an experiment.

I'll check with my mate up at HMS Fulmar (as was). He is a Buccaneer guru and has every known publication on the aircraft!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Thought is that it was the EDSG painted over the white undersides which made it look lighter.

I have seen reports of  FAA Buccaneers painted an overall lighter shade of grey..possibly an experiment.

I'll check with my mate up at HMS Fulmar (as was). He is a Buccaneer guru and has every known publication on the aircraft!

Actually your comment has stirred the grey matter (no pun intended). I recall reading something about that a while back but cant remember where.

Look forward to the view from your man up at HMS Fulmar.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

This alludes to the experimental theory. I hope its true, cos I like the look! :lalala::lalala:

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XT281_files/S2_XT281a.html

• Like 1

My understanding is that one was applied in Squirrel Grey and had a uniform finish (as above), but a second one the grey was applied over both a dark top and a white bottom scheme which led to the two tone grey finish.

Question is, what was Squirrel Grey, and was it used elsewhere?

• Like 1

Mine, I say with immense gratitude, was brilliant

Cottage pie with mushroom and tom within the packed meat, a sprinkling of mature cheddar atop the tattietopping

Awesome flavour

Phew

But a sprinkling of grovel was required. 😰

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I will let you know how dinner goes!

It's probably in the dog (next doors if you don't have one)...!!

I'd be very interested in any findings on the veracity of the existence of Squirrel Grey. And if it did exist whether we can find a match for it...

Hope you haven't gone hungry Bill & James....!!

Keith

• Haha 1