Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

Phew, glad they seem to be back in order and on .cc

I have been immersing plastic in latex, whilst my arm and hand are approaching 'rightness' and so I decided to give the old moulds a better crack of the whip

Tried harder to get the bubbles out of the resin with bent nosed hypo needles of large diameter and got this result

Only two finicky little bubbles stuck around to mess me up, one on each side flange plate of the recce pack and the dome of the forward facing camera needed a little height building in, touched up with superglue gel

Sorted

I'll reshape them later and on checking the Palouste pod there is just a thin join line to dress up then it can have its pour spigot trimmed back so I am quite pleased with the results

P1010260.jpg

Flash flooded a bit, here is one without extra illumination

P1010262.jpg

You can see the setting superglue on this one, atop the camera dome

I am hoping the rubber will set at a decent pace today, might be able to get a couple of casts tomorrow then I can finish tidying this recce pack and cast a better version from it

Edited by perdu
  • Like 16

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

Tried harder to get the bubbles out of the resin with bent nosed hypo needles of large diameter and got this result

This is looking really good Bill.

On the bubbles front, my last efforts at casting were greatly improved after reading somewhere that vibration can help get bubbles to the surface quickly. So I had the idea of placing the vessel in which it is all setting (the resin stage) on top of my mobile phone which I had set an alarm constantly set to vibrate! I need to investigate a more permanent method/mechanism to vibrate as it sets, but this did work for me. A friend of has gone a stage further and uses a home made vacuum contraption which sucks out air as resin goes in - don't ask me how he got it to work, far too complicated for me!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 2

I use a wobbling device to extract bubbles from the latex whilst it sets, namely a battery powered Braun shaver with a knackered foil  It is sitting in a small red plastic basket along with the two casting boxes I put together yesterday, vibrating madly  :)

I dont bother with resin though as its set in fifteen minutes anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

A vibrating massager also might do the trick. I'm told it has other uses as well.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/6/2018 at 16:06, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And a buddy fuelling pack

Very reasonable Bucc buddy fuelling pod from Freightdog at an affordable £5 ish at Hannants

I do have Paypal and a pension, don't fancy reinventing the wheel ta Crisp

:)

Usual trepidatory thinking now overnight as I wait for the rubber to set

Vibrating massager?

Ever used a battery powered shaver?

Goshagolly that could surprise you that could

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Lots to do but this looks promising

Lubberly!!! Coming together bit by bit.

Silly question: did the S1's have the #5 vortex generator removed?

The photos I've looked at don't appear to be missing them.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Just for giggles

So we can see if we will get there

P1010263.jpg

Lots to do but this looks promising

Looks promising indeed!!!

And your casting is really good!!!

Happy your hand and arm are recovering!!!

• Thanks 1

A rough coat of acrylic to act as the discloser coat for the jet pipe, fairly pleased with this so far

P1010264.jpg

bay door opened with hinge plates added, stiffeners will probably be pencilled in :)

P1010265.jpg

When the painting is done there may be other panels marked but unopened, this is concept testing here

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8