Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I do not claim master-hood-ship-craft ship Neil, I do like to see if I can get THERE from HERE sometimes though

All a game after all

This afternoon recovering from a bad day I had a go at doing a bit more, no need to say how today has been bad after all  :(

Did Roger mention I was going to be handling sharp tools? Correct Rog but  I wouldn't have minded just the one

Just one mind you

For now

I had to cut away the inside wall of the wheel well engine bay to make room for the engine frames and gubbinses

P1120902.jpg

The grey piece visible in the hole is the work top in shadow from my hand, the bottom length of blue plastic is part of the

actual airframe carried along the bay. It will act as basic stiffness member when its done

The huge hole in the kit part is copied over on t'other side

P1120904.jpg

Some additional structure needs adding to the wing section by the undercarriage pick up point

Look up there, this is a picture of a picture on the amazingly detailed link James (71chally) put up for us, all rights of the copyright owner acknowledged

All sorts of building to do

P1120905.jpg

Yes I admit I am quite happy to have a little bit more to do

Started today cutting out circles with my little swivel knife, I cant bear the thought of ever losing this

These circles will become the engine bearer rings later

P1120906.jpg

A swift tidy up with the "rat-tailed Draper rough" file, the local hardware guy who used to be a great tool seller went across to hanging card with tools vac packaged to them

No proper selection of files anymore, its disgraceful

Mind you as he says, "It's only you who has asked for decent stuff in the past ten years how can I survive on that?"

He does still have some of the useful nuts and bolts he was wont to sell in the olden days, no market for them either except the 'bay and he cant be assed...

Soon going to get them equalised

Edwood Woodwood wood

• Like 13

seems like everybody is cutting stuff up these days... or I'm just hanging out with a crowd of butchers.

It looks like it's coming along nicely Bill.  For those engine bearer rings, at that scale, I might have been tempted just to use some lengths of wire curved to shape.  (but then, I'm just lazy!)

• Like 1

Wire curved to shape

You have just described the nine or ten reinforcing rings round the heat proofing

5amp fuse wire over browny looking painted tubes

The bearer rings are part of the wider structure outside of them, they are similar shapes front and back and will not be full circles just the basics up to the fore and after frame wall, painted white

You probably missed them being taken in by the shiny rings

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, perdu said:

ah... I can't look past a new shiny object me !

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

The bearer rings are part of the wider structure outside of them, they are similar shapes front and back and will not be full circles just the basics up to the fore and after frame wall, painted white

now I got it !   I can be a tad slow at times

(and now I'm viewing this on a 22" monitor I can see the double cut in the styrene above.  My laptop is not the greatest for viewing details on)

• Like 1

That plastic

The blue stuff

In all my years of plackyhacking I've never found any polystyrene as damned well hard as that

Frog old blue placky?

Kids play

Airfix recent grey?

Pull it apart with your thumbnail

Itacraperi?

Fallaparteri

But the old blue plastic Matchbox used must have been cast from Port Talbot steel infused stuff

I was kinda worried about it being brittle too, but it seems to have a decent tool steel quality about it

Amazing stuff

Today I will be mostly casting a couple more brake tails and making a nose/fan assembly for a Gyron J.

If I get a decent master I'll cast some, tailpipe too then they can go either side of the undercart bay

If not

I'll just make two by hand...

I'd like two cast brake petals so I can skip this part on the fold-a-Bucc that's coming next year

Don't need to do this stuff twice after all

Today will also see me drilling right through the Maintrack intake moulding so the engine can push in from behind

Lots to do whilst is raining.   ☔

• Like 9

Are the main undercarriage bays deep enough Bill? Looking at the piccies I sometime think yes - I sometimes think no.

There's a sort of happy innocence and optimism about this hacking bits off the kit phase. To be followed by the more weary realism of the effort of correcting it.  Or maybe that says a bit too much about me :)

• Like 5

They should be Steve

On the S2 kit I'd say the space allowed would be marginal because the wheel tucks up ridiculously near to the jetpipe heat shields but on the original, Gyron Junior fit as shown above there's almost too much empty space for the wheel fold

I think the fold sequence is shown in one of James's clips back a page or two, significantly scary

The actual wing space allotted to the hinge bits on the kit is just about OK so it won't get a lot of fettling, just a minor trim to the separators at the hinge ends

I'll add that the bit of blue left behind is just about OK for the interior longeron that the mount rings hang off, well see

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Just had a wonderful parcel arrive in the post

Brian's S1 intakes for me to make a start with

Thanks Brian, really appreciated

The generosity of the BM massive is one of the most inspiring and touching things about this site.

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

There's a sort of happy innocence and optimism about this hacking bits off the kit phase. To be followed by the more weary realism of the effort of correcting it.  Or maybe that says a bit too much about me :)

That's interesting, as I am the opposite way inclined. I get really stressed out hacking chunks out of a kit, even though I can't do the sort of modelling I like without doing so. I only start to feel comfortable once I start filling the voids with white plastic card. There's nowt so strange as modellers I guess!

I am looking forward to seeing how the wheel wells come along.

Martian

PS: Will everyone following this thread please take note that in the foregoing at no stage were wing folds mentioned!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

PS: Will everyone following this thread please take note that in the foregoing at no stage were wing folds mentioned!

Duly noted. But I think Bill is going to re-state he's not doing wing folds, for the sake of it and also to reassure himself about that decision he took.... :):D

Ciao

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

Duly noted. But I think Bill is going to re-state he's not doing wing folds, for the sake of it and also to reassure himself about that decision he took.... :):D

Ciao

If he has to reassure himself then maybe he's not sure................:evil_laugh:

Martian

• Like 3

Ah. Heres the sensible ones.

Just popping in to ask:

Are we sure thats an omelette and not a pancake?

Jaguar ladders anyone... anywhere...?

Carry on.

• Like 3

I see

The children have been kept in 'cos it's raining, I suppose they have to go some place to play   ;)

I begin

P1120907.jpg

First u/c bay engine bearer in place

Didn't expect the full monte in there, out of sight did you?

P1120910.jpg

how much do you see now?

P1120908.jpg

except for the castings from today in the background being worked within th earlier pictures

Pics if that works out later

Have you met the de Havilland Gyron Junior turbojet engine?

Allow me

P1120912.jpg

Here's a pair of them...

And the rearmost u/c bay engine bearer brackets awaiting attention

Laters chaps

• Like 14

That is a very promising start to the U/C bays. I am liking the way this build is going already!

Martian (on his best behaviour) :innocent:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Are we sure thats an omelette and not a pancake?

Positively sure! :D

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

The children have been kept in 'cos it's raining, I suppose they have to go some place to play   ;)

Exactly, sir! :coolio:

That engine bearer really looks the part, Bill :worthy::clap: Very curious to see how the Gyron Junior comes out, too. :Tasty:

Ciao 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Shiny Kit Syndrome,a terrible affliction to have!

I missed them too and had to go back and look again.All is now clear.

Looking great so far Bill.

Richard

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

How it comes out?

It is already out, can you not see it?

Hmm this may call for a detention...

Oooops... I should have said "turns out", and went for a mere transliteration from Italian, instead... :banghead::D

Ciao

• Like 1