Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

17 minutes ago, giemme said:

Fascinating this casting sorcery! :worthy: I very much envy you - and Fritag and Ced and whoever does it!

Even I can do it Giorgio, you would have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever! No sorcery involved at all, just very basic science!

Keith

• Like 2

Following this bit with more than the usual interest as I have Revell Great Eastern that I want to convert to it's original passenger configuration and will need to cast an extra funnel.

Martian the Attentive

• Like 2

Giorgio, as Keith says it is very simple

If you could scramble an egg or whisk it for an omelette that is as basic as it gets

I know some consider it a dark art which is why I have shown how simple it really is

I hope folks can get up the nerve to try it, it is not even very expensive, my present bottles of casting resin cost me £5 plus post and about £8 for the latex

Which reminds me to re-order today! I've plenty of resin but no latex left

• Like 5

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Giorgio, as Keith says it is very simple

If you could scramble an egg or whisk it for an omelette that is as basic as it gets

I know some consider it a dark art which is why I have shown how simple it really is

Absolutely Giorgio, but:

On 01/06/2017 at 5:58 PM, perdu said:

This is Wilko Blox which is inferior Legolike

It does not click solidly together so I like to seal the box before I cast moulds from it

Plasticene floor to seal the base edges  And then a coat of Johnson's Clear to seal the brick joints

Do invest in some pukka Lego first :D

• Like 4

Have you any idea how difficult it can be to get proper Lego bricks these days?

Mostly half a light sabre, bulldozer bladey, garagey doors kinda bricks lately

👅

Edited by perdu
  • Like 7

This resin moulding business is very informative & of great interest

to me as I have done push moulding of plastic card for fuel tanks etc but I've never used resin - always something new to learn on BM

CJP

• Like 1

Thanks for the step by step on casting Bill :thumbsup2: .

The more information on this the better. It looks like great fun and I now understand (I think) how to do the weights and measures.

Great stuff

TonyT

Bill and Steve, thank you :thumbsup: I must try this resin casting stuff sooner or later. I do have a good provision of regular Lego bricks, Steve - and I can certainly make an omelette, Bill :coolio:

As to not being expensive, I could use some advice on what it's best to get, because stuff I can find around here actually is pretty expensive :frantic:

(yes, I had already been investigating about resin casting :coolio: )

Ciao 

Edit: I can actually make an omelette

2017-06-03_02-01-25

:)

Edited by giemme
  • Like 5

272684970036 is the number of the resin on sale in ebay just now, its the kind I used yesterday £5 + £4 postage this one

250753625646 is the moulding rubber I just bought from the bay. Scarva brand from pottery supplies ltd £9.50 no postage fee for this

I'm sure you will like when you have had a dabble

b

• Like 2

I have had zillions of great pictures from our nautical helimeister, thanks Crisp, and an offer of unbroken intake parts from Brian so I'm going to try to get the more accurate rounded edges to the intake openings as well as produce the small intakes in between the fuselage and Gyron Junior intakes

I began building the airbrake blades from the blue tailcone section

The Airwaves tail blade shape is a very 'close' fit to the model parts but I may be able to use them

I hope you will all assist me when its assessment time, there will be pictures later but that will have to be when Bill has killed the Doctor...

Or not

I'm going to use the resin tailcone (old number one, we'll call it) to mould a curved plate to form the external stiffeners then I'll likely mould a few finished ones for this Bucc and the Frog one which has massively overstated ones on its own blades 

Work begins this evening. ;)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, perdu said:

.... when Bill has killed the Doctor...

What did he ever do to you...?! :whistle: :D

Ta for reminding me, shall have to watch on the laptop, SWMBO will be watching that BGT guff...

K

Started work on the airbrakes

panelled the inner edges of each cone piece

P1120881.jpg

ten thou plasticard cut roughly to shape then trimmed and stuck with 560 glue, it peels apart when necessary  ;)

P1120888.jpg

A bit to trim away I feel  :)

That ought to do it

P1120891.jpg those tatty ends now trimmed (yes I took the picture first then forgot to shoot the follow up, doh) :)

I've always  said that for a low extras model the Matchbox Bucc is rather sophisticated in some ways

The mainwheel well interior is a good basis to detail for a pretty good, accurate looking model

P1120892.jpg

A few pipes and ducts and assorted other gubbins gives you a nicely detailed bay with  the Spey engines inside too

But after Crisp  and James sent me pictures and links it has become obvious that in no manner does it represent a Gyron Junior in there

So out with the razor saw and begin..

P1120893.jpg

Dust, look at the dust

"How do you expect me to keep the place tidy if you are goi..."

P1120894.jpg

and out it cometh

P1120896.jpg

It's a start, (yet another start, I keep stopping and starting don't I?)

The engine bearers and other structures are very different, so is the hole, now

P1120899.jpg

I was only going to blow the bl...

Near enough OOB, where did that go huh?

BUT NO

No folded wings Martian

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks for the eBay numbers Bill - stored for future reference :) 

Same here, thanks Bill :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, perdu said:

Near enough OOB, where did that go huh?

Who cares, anyway? :D Great surgery, what a (re)start! :worthy:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

But after Crisp  and James sent me pictures and links it has become obvious that in no manner does it represent a Gyron Junior in there

oh goody!!!   That means lotsanlotsanlotsa the famed perdu scratchery

• Like 2

Very nearly a Michael Caine quote there.....looking forward to seeing how the post doors-off refurbishment comes out!

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

BUT NO

No folded wings Martian

I never said a word! and there's me about say what good solid progress you have made! You wound me Earthling, you really do!

Martian

• Like 3

Nice start looking forward to watching this progress

Roger

Would have put a pint on the bar for you but you seem to be using sharp things so I'll wait till later!

• Like 1