Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I have been wittering on about this so I'd best get on wi' it

The Matchbox S2 Buccaneer with the Maintrack resin conversion intakes to make an S1 from it

The usual

P1120790.jpg

Lucky me got two sets of rather bleagh (unusually for Matchbox back then I always thought) transfers

Of course none of them is relevant...

P1120791.jpg

In a moment of convivial community modelling I had this with me at club and decided to begin the conversion, hacking away at the front of the intake area and the forward wing roots

Here is what I got in my bag from a gent on 'the  'bay'

P1120793.jpg

well no, not the Airwaves etch.

That came from Big H and may be of use later

A hunting the web session got me some drawings that needed careful rescaling

One good, others to follow suit if the accuracy bit bites me in the sittupon

P1120794.jpg

I think they will be fine to work the rough changes from but when I need 'right' I can cope with a reset

Here is the freshly reshaped forward fuselage ready for the intakes to be added and faired in

P1120795.jpg

As you see the bulgey bomb bay door is off and the new resin one about to be modified rectified

I WAS going to hack out the engines that Matchbox moulded in but I have had a think and decided there will be enough beggaring about with the basics without adding extra angst...

I don't think they look too awful anyway

P1120796.jpg

A bit of additional pipe details and some additional ducting, you won't even notice...

Probably

Look at this for instance

Airbrakes to detail

If I can work out how to separate the two horizontally sliced parts vertically

Realistically

P1120797.jpg

I'm off now to research the Martin Baker Mk 6s which might be needed if I can make a floor and wheel well roof

night all

edit to add I hope this build doesn't get too bogged down but I already have a list...

• Like 22

Another Perdu masterclass mind if i take a seat in the corner and follow along?

Always liked the brick so will take an interest and hope to learn a bit more about the Bucc as it progresses

Roger

30 minutes ago, perdu said:

Look at this for instance

Airbrakes to detail

If I can work out how to separate the two horizontally sliced parts vertically

Realistically

I love Matchbox, but that is  a 'classic' even for them!

Like the way that the kit already comes in the right colours!

Looking forward to this conversion and build.

• Like 1

Hi James, I'm thinking 'stick both halves together then cast the tail in latex and then cut the resins to suit,' might just be a way of moulding in some of the details later

I have a Froggy one to make too as an S2

I am trying not to cannibalise the Frog brakes for this one, there's over thick strengtheners to remove from THAT one...

Ho hum

• Like 1

Bravo Buccaneering Bill! Looking forwards to seeing how that Airwaves set performs on this with particular interest.

Best o' luck sir.

Tony

• Like 1

Take your time.

I have to change the wicks for the steam catapult boilers.

And refresh the for'ard deck anti slip paint, which takes ages to dry....

This bar you mentioned, any peanuts? (fed up with popcorn).

• Like 1

KP in the little blue packets up there near the optics, somebody said there were Pork Scratchings coming too

I took many pictures of the airbrakes at Hendon in April, blimey, there's milliards of rivets

I might need rivetting lessons...

• Like 2

A Bill and a Bucc a match(box) made in heaven :whistle:

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I might need rivetting lessons...

I know a man.

16 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm thinking 'stick both halves together then cast the tail in latex and then cut the resins to suit,'

I reckon that's a good plan.

• Like 1

Airwaves

I know Ian, been here before tha knows

I did a Scout once

And wasn't it a Wasp?

None of the etch was sized to the kit, I believe they must have worked off drawings instead

Who knows?  

😠

• Like 2

Great to see this; I am definitely propped up in the corner somewhere.   A strong candidate for the best Naval strike aircraft of all time - and a runaway winner for the best British Naval aircraft (strike or anything else) of all time.  Even our Crustacean cousins came to love it in the end, after an inexplicable period of being snooty about it.

I have a fair number of photos of XN964, the S1 at Newark Air Museum so give me a shout if you want anything.  [I have 2 Airfix 1/48 Bricks, one of which is destined to be an S1 in a future build, so I have taken lots of pics to help with research later].

For instance, have you noticed that the "pen nib" fairing that fairs the Gyron Junior exhaust into the fuselage is shorter on the S1 than the Avon version? S1 models often get this wrong, and it's one of those "once you have noticed it you cannot un-see it" details.

Rivets, you say...?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great to see this; I am definitely propped up in the corner somewhere.   A strong candidate for the best Naval strike aircraft of all time - and a runaway winner for the best British Naval aircraft (strike or anything else) of all time.  Even our Crustacean cousins came to love it in the end, after an inexplicable period of being snooty about it.

I have a fair number of photos of XN964, the S1 at Newark Air Museum so give me a shout if you want anything.  [I have 2 Airfix 1/48 Bricks, one of which is destined to be an S1 in a future build, so I have taken lots of pics to help with research later].

For instance, have you noticed that the "pen nib" fairing that fairs the Gyron Junior exhaust into the fuselage is shorter on the S1 than the Avon version? S1 models often get this wrong, and it's one of those "once you have noticed it you cannot un-see it" details.

Rivets, you say...?

Avon version? New one on me, Always thought the S2 was fitted with the Spey!

Selwyn

(Wondering if its a typo or grey cell hiccup?)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Avon version? New one on me, Always thought the S2 was fitted with the Spey!

Selwyn

(Wondering if its a typo or grey cell hiccup?)

Grey cell Red caption!  Spey, obvs

• Like 2

Hiccup Selwyn, must be

That hoary old sailor's head is so crammed full of info the file system must be taking a hammering

Hiccup

Crisp I will certainly be hoping to draw on your impeccable resources please sir

I know there must be such obvious differences and I'm glad your help with this has already begun with this pen nib fairing

• Like 1