Minion's therapeutic Mig

Cheers guys.

Well this one has been progressing quite nicely and I'm afraid that I've not kept up with pictures but I can report a trouble free build so far with no more than a tiny amount of filler on the wing joins and a some sanding on the fuselage join but other than that this has been one of the nicest trouble free builds I have ever done.

I have given the entire airframe a coat of Vallejo Duralumin which has gone on very nicely and will act as a primer and when I rub down the camouflage some will be revealed on areas like the leading edges etc. Here are a couple of pics of the upper and lower surfaces.

35648110155_441a3ba927_b_d.jpg

35608415646_6220d6e9fa_b_d.jpg

And here is a close up of the area where the front and rear fuselages and the spine all join up.

35608413836_661cceb24c_b_d.jpg

Not a bad result for an area with 3 different joins. I have also assembled one of the drop tanks with a view to hanging it on the centre station instead of the gun pod and with a pair of AA-2 Atolls under the wings, what do you guys think? Anywhere here is the tank.

35261182210_b4408ed27b_z_d.jpg

I will apply a couple of other shades to break up the uniformity of the single colour.

That's it for today, hopefully I can make a start on the camo scheme tomorrow. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 7

This is batting along at fierce pace craig, looking splendid in silver , for old kits they do go together well, look forward to the camo scheme, looking at yours has given me the k,u,t,a to mask and contrast the panels on mine  now,:yes:

Glynn

• Like 1

Goodness me even your metal primer coat is awesome as well as a perfect frame! I don't know how you lot do it, but always great to watch!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated.

Between working very long shifts and now extremely warm weather (don't get me wrong I'm not complaining but it does drain the will to do much) I haven't got as much done as I would have liked but I have made a bit of progress. The undersurfaces have been given a coat of Gunze RLM-65 which seems to be a very good match for the pale blue/grey used by the Egyptians, I should have taken a pic of it before I applied the masking so that I could start on the upper surfaces but I didn't so hopefully you can see enough of the colour through the masking.

35261185020_456fe9eaca_z_d.jpg

I have given the upper surfaces a coat of Revell acrylic sand which matches the Egyptian colour quite well, here are a couple of pics so that you can see for yourselves.

35479473842_879b2c6220_b_d.jpg

35517677731_49454c1abb_b_d.jpg

For some reason the camera has given it a washed out look but in real life it does look very close to the real thing. I have a fair amount of masking ahead of me now but I hope to have the upper surfaces done by the end of the week.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Those first two colours have gone down nicely craig,revell thats another one of my no no's through my air brush i can never seem to get the right balance of thinners to paint with those,, good job though ,look forward to more,

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Managed to get some quality time with the airbrush ( after doing a fair amount of masking) and I now have all the main colours on, they need a little bit of touching up here and there but it has gone quite well and I am happy with it so far. Here are some pictures of how she looks at the minute.

34838931593_6995547142_b_d.jpg

34838933383_1f1d83779c_b_d.jpg

34838934903_6edd07c5f3_b_d.jpg

I am glad I chose this colour scheme as it quite striking and has really grown on me. As it stands the colours are much too clean for my liking so now I will start the fading and weathering process, the really fun part!

Thanks for look in in.

Craig.

• Like 6

Ohh very impressive , I like it Craig you've done a great job on the camo scheme, top marks, the time spent masking was well worth it 

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

That is a lovely camo scheme. Again clean crisp work...

Thanks Valkyrie, I aim to mess up some of the cleanliness with some weathering.

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking brilliant Craig! Excellent camo work. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, all I need now are perhaps a couple more aircraft and a vehicle or two and I will have something approaching your fantastic dioramas!

5 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I love that camouflage scheme! Will look great with the markings in place.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I might well add the markings before I do any weathering, they do need weathering as well as the camo paint.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Ohh very impressive , I like it Craig you've done a great job on the camo scheme, top marks, the time spent masking was well worth it 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn I'm glad that you like it so far.

• Like 3

Simply amazing painting, that has to be the best scheme I've seen you do yet Craig on here! I love that scheme but crikey it really does confuse my eyes, very effective and perfectly executed on your model, a huge well done. Can I ask how you spray the Revell acrylics, the finish you get is the smoothest I've seen, I tried recently and I was hopeless with them :doh:

David

• Like 2

Thanks Jabba and David.

David I mix the Revell acrylics with distilled water to a consistency a bit like milk and then it seems to spray without any problems, it's definitely a paint that likes to go on thinly and build up the colours but I like it and it covers well. Really glad you like the scheme, there seems to be an interesting range of schemes available for Egyptian Migs and I'm sorely tempted to do another, if it wasn't for the Mirage and Mig-29 GB's starting soon that I have also signed up for I definitely would.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Jabba and David.

David I mix the Revell acrylics with distilled water to a consistency a bit like milk and then it seems to spray without any problems, it's definitely a paint that likes to go on thinly and build up the colours but I like it and it covers well. Really glad you like the scheme, there seems to be an interesting range of schemes available for Egyptian Migs and I'm sorely tempted to do another, if it wasn't for the Mirage and Mig-29 GB's starting soon that I have also signed up for I definitely would.

ok thank you Craig. Is there a particular pressure you spray at? And how many layers do you usually do? I know, Egyptian Mig-21 schemes all look fantastic,  I'll tackle a Mig-21RF some day!

• Like 1

Thanks John, David and Tony.

David I usually spray at 20 psi (about 1.4 bar) and it seems to work okay for me.

I have managed to get a bit more done and have completed the weathering, at least as far as lightening the upper surface colours and applying scratches and rubbing down paint etc. I was unsure if I had gone too far so I took it along to my model club and they all thought it was okay and pointed out how weathered and worn aircraft in Egypt got in the early 70's and they are right so rather than replicate exactly the finish as seen in one of the pictures at the start of the thread there is a touch of artistic license in that mine is more weathered, anyway here's a couple of pictures starting with an over all shot of the upper surfaces.

34838939793_5e618de39c_b_d.jpg

And a closer look at the port cockpit side area.

35517693491_803301b8b7_b_d.jpg

And just to prove that the under sides haven't been forgotten here's one of how they look at the minute.

35517695941_b45fc4cb7b_b_d.jpg

I have now given the model 3 coats of Klear and have a nice shiny (if not dry at the minute) surface ready for me to start the decalling. Once the decals are all fixed in place I will give the model some washes and also weather the markings to match the paintwork.

That's it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Ahhh that is a master class weathering job. Perfect, it's got everything, scrapes, scratches and different shades in the panels which looks hard to do. Good scheme, shel look great when done...

• Like 1