Tamyia 1/35 Quad Tractor

I can see how that would impact on your modelling somewhat!! Shaking hands with the Queen will be a no no for a while.

Glad to see that you're back in the swing of it again, and hope the discomfort has eased. Nice job on the engine.

John.

• Like 1

Ah-hah - I wondered where you'd disappeared to - the pics say it all - a serious case of OUCHY. Hope that gets back to normal soon.

Engine's looking great. Keep smiling and keep an ice bucket handy for the occasional 'dousing' of the hand, perhaps?

Kev

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 9:37 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice going Mrs Stix, hope the hand improves soon.

Cheers Ozzy, it is a lot better - the swelling has gone down now and - much to Stix's relief I can now do the housework!!!

On 7/22/2017 at 11:57 PM, Badder said:

Ouch, the hand looks painful.

Reminds me, if I may divert from the thread, of a time when the band I was in supported the famous Welsh 70's-80's rock band BUDGIE for a second time and I was allowed to use the drummer's kit. It was huge, but aside from the fact that I was never going to be able to reach everything, his bass pedal was set extremely loose, so every time I kicked the pedal it bounced back off the drum skin and the nut on the back of the beater hit me on the top of the foot.

Within thirty seconds or so of our intro (with a lot of bass drum work) I was in severe pain, but that progressed to agony and then alternating agony and numbness, until the end when I got off the kit and could barely walk. To cut a long story short, I woke up in the morning with a foot swollen to twice the size, including my toes, and all was black, purple, blue and green.

A few hours with my foot in an bucket of ice water got the swelling down a bit, but not enough for me to get a sock or shoe on. And I was a self-employed taxi driver at the time. It was 5 days before I got back to work, but I suppose I was lucky because I could have lost my foot, or worse, to septicaemia.

The moral of the story... Always remember that just like peanuts, a BUDGIE's nuts maybe small, but they can cause serious swelling and possibly death.

ANYHOO.....

Great work on the engine, it looks great. it's a shame it's going to be hidden. Having said that, maybe this is an opportunity to try brushing it over with graphite powder from a 'sanded down' 3B pencil. If you don't like the effect you can always wash it off, but I think you'll like it.

It's getting very difficult to distinguish your work from your worse-half's. Carry on like this and you'll soon be giving HIM lessons!

BTW, are you planning on doing the 'Mickey Mouse' camo pattern, or just plain desert yellow?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks! I remember Budgie. Strangely enough Stix was a drummer in his younger days too.. he recalls using The Wilko Johnson bands drummers kit and finding it 'interesting' but not fortunately as painful as your experience was. I was his roadie for several years all that packing and polishing!... 

Love the graphite idea! 

Still not sure if will go with Mickey pattern... will decide later when It comes together a bit more.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 8:44 AM, Bullbasket said:

I can see how that would impact on your modelling somewhat!! Shaking hands with the Queen will be a no no for a while.

Glad to see that you're back in the swing of it again, and hope the discomfort has eased. Nice job on the engine.

John.

Yup,  thanks John. Back in the swing, tho' still aches if I hold things for too long. 

On 7/23/2017 at 9:39 AM, AndyRM101 said:

Hope the hand's on the mend. Good to see it's not held you back too much though. The engine's looking great.

Andy

Cheers Andy,  I've got on with it all a bit more this week 

On 7/23/2017 at 9:05 PM, Kris B said:

Ups, hope you get better soon. 

Cheers, Kris! 

On 7/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, SimonL said:

Ouch! I hope your hand heals up soon. Great job on the engine.

Thanks Simon! 

On 7/24/2017 at 9:56 AM, modelman182 said:

Ah-hah - I wondered where you'd disappeared to - the pics say it all - a serious case of OUCHY. Hope that gets back to normal soon.

Engine's looking great. Keep smiling and keep an ice bucket handy for the occasional 'dousing' of the hand, perhaps?

Kev

Hi Kev, thanks for noticing my absence! Glad to say things almost back to normal...  

On 7/24/2017 at 7:08 PM, clive_t said:

This looks an interesting subject, I'll be following along if I may :)

Your more than welcome Clive!! I've actually made some progress... 

I have continued to work on the chassis; I have decided that I've got to embrace the attempted removal of seams - there seem to be quite a few on this kit... in fact on the instructions they haven't bothered to remove them on the photos - Stix is a stickler for removing them, so I'm trying. I really can't use the scalpel properly or safely! so I'm limited to the file and wet and dry. 

I'm quite enjoying chopping, filing and gluing without any painting - It doesn't help that I've got zero idea of how engines are constructed or work, let alone the terminology. (I can understand steam engines though, but that's a different story)

I deliberately left part of the sprue attached  for ease of handling, especially in the painting stage...

IMG_9116

IMG_9117

I did these bits yesterday had to widen some of the holes and use a bit of brute force - which upset the still slightly poorly hand. It worked out okay eventually! There were so many seams on the 4 weirdly shaped bits (sorry for use of technical terms):huh: which delayed matters quite considerably. I eventually settled for almost disposing of them because it was ceasing to feel like fun! 

IMG_9126

IMG_9127

Hopefully I can continue to make progress. 

I need to speed up if I'm going to be able to beat Stix in the Blitz build (he's determined to win as I'm leading 1:0 at present!!! - courtesy of the first build I made...):evil_laugh:

• Like 5

Hi Mrs Stix,

Good to see you're up and running again. Give yourself a clap o.... oh perhaps not.:D

I gather the four weirdly shaped bits are the leaf spring suspension units? Yeah, there's a fair bit of scraping and filing to do on the underside of the Quad, but very little topside you'll be glad to know.

It's one of those things where we modellers HAVE to remove seam lines, ejector pin marks etc and then paint everything realistically, even if it's all going to be completely hidden from view.

Personally, I love to see the undersides of such models as the Quad, and especially the Famo Half-track, but short of placing them in a diorama toppled over onto their sides it means NOT fixing them to a display stand... and allowing the viewer to pick them up and turn them over, and that's inviting trouble.

Having said that, I did once see some truck placed on supports over a mirror base.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Mrs Stix,

Good to see you're up and running again. Give yourself a clap o.... oh perhaps not.:D

I gather the four weirdly shaped bits are the leaf spring suspension units? Yeah, there's a fair bit of scraping and filing to do on the underside of the Quad, but very little topside you'll be glad to know.

It's one of those things where we modellers HAVE to remove seam lines, ejector pin marks etc and then paint everything realistically, even if it's all going to be completely hidden from view. 

Personally, I love to see the undersides of such models as the Quad, and especially the Famo Half-track, but short of placing them in a diorama toppled over onto their sides it means NOT fixing them to a display stand... and allowing the viewer to pick them up and turn them over, and that's inviting trouble.

Having said that, I did once see some truck placed on supports over a mirror base.

Rearguards,

Badder

:smile: Cheers Badder! Thanks for the heads up about the upper bits having less to clean up.  I am slowly coming around to Stix's view that it's quite mindlessly therapeutic to clean up seams... 

I suppose it's a matter of personal pride to create something as true to the original as it's possible to. 

Interesting idea for a mud ridden diorama...

Cheers,

Mrs P 

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 1

You're doing a great job, in spite of your injury. I'd be tempted to wait until I could wield a scalpel, though, before I tackled all the seams on this kit.

I pulled my Quad, limber and gun out of the stash to stick the PE in the box and had a quick peruse of it. I think I must've used the PE on the last one I built (for my late father-in-law, who drove one in North Africa in WWII) as the rollers I previously mention running the winch cable through are part of the PE upgrade to the rear bumper. Sorry if my earlier comments caused any confusion.

Keep on having fun (or is that outside the scope of 'mindless therapy'? ;))

Kev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 8:53 PM, modelman182 said:

You're doing a great job, in spite of your injury. I'd be tempted to wait until I could wield a scalpel, though, before I tackled all the seams on this kit.

I pulled my Quad, limber and gun out of the stash to stick the PE in the box and had a quick peruse of it. I think I must've used the PE on the last one I built (for my late father-in-law, who drove one in North Africa in WWII) as the rollers I previously mention running the winch cable through are part of the PE upgrade to the rear bumper. Sorry if my earlier comments caused any confusion.

Keep on having fun (or is that outside the scope of 'mindless therapy'? ;))

Kev

Thanks Kev, no problem about the PE, I'm just going to stick to basics... Definitely fun!!!

8 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great to see you back Mrs P,glad to see the hand's improving....

Cheers, Vince. Yup the hand is definitely getting better and stronger, thanks!

• Like 1

I got around to doing some painting on the chassis, even though little will be seen eventually, it's a good opportunity to practice techniques and though I know absolutely nothing about vehicles I'm finding it fascinating. fitting the wheels was exciting - especially as they are rolling well!!
Chassis - right way up

IMG_9484

and 

IMG_9491

Then from below: 

IMG_9493

IMG_9494

IMG_9487

I hope to get it all a bit more weathered, but time will tell! 

Comments and advice always welcomed, it's the only way to learn! :smile: 

• Like 2

Well, Mrs P, you may not know much about vehicles but you certainly know about painting and weathering. That chassis is one to be proud of. Even if it will end up hidden from view - WE all know it's there!

Only thing I'd suggest is perhaps a drybrushing of the exhaust (ask Mr P - he'll point out the bit I mean ;)) with some rust colour and perhaps a bit of blackening of the 'open' end of it. Not essential, as it won't really be seen, but it's a chance to practice rusting up an exhaust for later AFV's which I'm sure we shall see from you.

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Mrs Stix,

With the North African Theatre there's plenty of opportunity for some 'chipping' on your Quad's underside at least, and some heavy wear and rust. Go on! Go for it!

But I have to say your chassis looks smart. Maybe it's only just come off the ship? I can see a dockside diorama.......;)

Oh, I just have to correct a slight misconception.... There are parts of the 'underside' of the Quad that can be seen when viewed 'on the level' and this is due to it having a large ground clearance.

So, the front and rear axles and diffs, the drive shafts, transmission, steering linkages, exhaust pipe and inner wheel arches can all be seen to a greater or lesser extent, while the wheel inners can be seen from a very high angle and all need to be painted with this taken into consideration.

I'm looking at the underside of my 99% finished Quad now, and I'm stunned at how little I weathered it! A bit of rust, a bit of grime, but no mud anywhere! It may get a good seeing to before I get round to finishing it.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Well, Mrs P, you may not know much about vehicles but you certainly know about painting and weathering. That chassis is one to be proud of. Even if it will end up hidden from view - WE all know it's there!

Only thing I'd suggest is perhaps a drybrushing of the exhaust (ask Mr P - he'll point out the bit I mean ;)) with some rust colour and perhaps a bit of blackening of the 'open' end of it. Not essential, as it won't really be seen, but it's a chance to practice rusting up an exhaust for later AFV's which I'm sure we shall see from you.

Kev

Cheers Kev, sounds like a good idea so will do!! - instructions seem to show it to be all a sandy colour apart from the engine - which doesn't seem to be right, but I need to do some more detailed research... :nerd: at some point, it's getting embarrassing that I know so little  - 

Edited by Mrs PlaStix

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Mrs Stix,

With the North African Theatre there's plenty of opportunity for some 'chipping' on your Quad's underside at least, and some heavy wear and rust. Go on! Go for it!

But I have to say your chassis looks smart. Maybe it's only just come off the ship? I can see a dockside diorama.......;)

Oh, I just have to correct a slight misconception.... There are parts of the 'underside' of the Quad that can be seen when viewed 'on the level' and this is due to it having a large ground clearance.

So, the front and rear axles and diffs, the drive shafts, transmission, steering linkages, exhaust pipe and inner wheel arches can all be seen to a greater or lesser extent, while the wheel inners can be seen from a very high angle and all need to be painted with this taken into consideration.

I'm looking at the underside of my 99% finished Quad now, and I'm stunned at how little I weathered it! A bit of rust, a bit of grime, but no mud anywhere! It may get a good seeing to before I get round to finishing it.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks Badder, great to get advice from someone who's building one. I quite fancy practising a bit of 'chipping' especially somewhere not too obvious! B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carius said:

Mrs PlaStix I hope you get better now.

Lovely progress with the kit :popcorn:

Cheers from Brazil

Cheers Carius, hopefully I'll be able to make more progress...:smile: