Tamyia 1/35 Quad Tractor

I've decided to cut my losses with the Schwimmwagen for now... I'm still determined to finish it, but it was proving too frustrating. I've followed robw_uk's build with interest as I had this kit in my stash and I fancied something a little bigger in scale Obligatory pics: 

Box art:
34098404724_1df14d171c_c.jpg

Contents:
34809251241_c4f7b34290_c.jpg

Individual sprues:
34941383995_d7c0fb462c_c.jpg

34809250481_c90cb1ba27_c.jpg

34941383435_ae1d338420_c.jpg

Body shell:
34809249581_bb09a834a6_c.jpg

Base:
34941383075_60d685bc38_c.jpg

Clear parts: 
34809252181_64b7d7a5cc_c.jpg

Decals:
34809249241_05d82a3ca6_c.jpg

Instructions: 
34941382545_91dd357a07_c.jpg

34809248941_72cfdb9d97_c.jpg 

Looking forward to getting started... Advice gladly accepted!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

looking forward to this - just dont use me as inspiration ;-)

Tough!:P - Cheers Rob! I am looking at some other nice ones that I've found as well...

• Like 1

Hope you enjoy it, Mrs P.

I've built a couple of these over the years, and have just snagged another one from Nick Belbin for my future enjoyment.

I shall watch quietly from the sidelines.

Kev

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Hope you enjoy it, Mrs P.

I've built a couple of these over the years, and have just snagged another one from Nick Belbin for my future enjoyment.

I shall watch quietly from the sidelines.

Kev

Thanks Kev, please feel free to make suggestions, etc. still getting used to modelling inorganic things! much easier to see seams on dinos!!!:smile: made a start today paint scheme seems fairly straightforward and is a change from grey...

• Like 1

As this is a fairly new venture for you, I'd just say do it OOB and enjoy the build. Eduard's PE makes it into a very nice model, but is fairly fiddly.

Only thing I'd add is some thread (painted with gunmetal) and a hook. The last time I did one I used one of the hooks from Academy's Tank Supplies Set 2, but that seems to a bit like hen's teeth at the moment (Amazon have one for over £70 - which is ludicrous as RRP is less than a fiver, IIRC!!). Maybe you could ask the folks here at BM if they have one of the straight chains and hooks they could spare you?? Then it's just a matter of cutting off the chain, drilling a hole in the hook with a pin vice and appropriately small drill bit, and wrapping the painted thread around the winch (fitted under the chassis) - run it through the guide rollers (fitted to the rear bumper)  and glue the hook on the end beyond the rollers. Just a small but 'finishing' touch.

For weathering, you can keep it fairly light. I cut two small arced segments of masking tape, fitted them to the front screen and then oversprayed the front windows with a light sand colour to simulate wiper tracks in the sand drifting onto the front. I then lightly sprayed the lower half of the body and the wheels with a slightly darker sand mix. Finally a dusting of the light sand over whatever equipment and tarps you have on the turtle back. Of course, you can leave it factory fresh if you like - saves a lot of time and effort ;):D

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had been planning to do the tyre painting last weekend, but, as usual, Life got in the way..One of the things I've discovered about 1/35 is the enhanced detail - as in the "Firestone" logo. 

35047602232_55dccd8e79_c.jpg

35172762086_82f97fe38e_c.jpg

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 7

On 6/10/2017 at 9:37 PM, Kris B said:

Great start with painting. 

Cheers Chris just glad to get started! 

On 6/10/2017 at 9:53 PM, Blaubar said:

Great paint job with the wheels! The vehicle does look quite ugly though^^.

Thanks for looking Blaubar, I like the slightly odd or 'interesting' shaped vehicles and have rapidly acquired a little stash containing an international selection of 'character' AFV kits...Having started out building dinosaurs, I wanted to carry on with different shapes.

2 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Very nice job on the wheels.

Ugly?! No, it's 'characterful' :wink:

Andy

Cheers Andy and well said! We can't all be super models!:lol:

On 6/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Bullbasket said:

Those wheels have weathered nicely.

John.

Thanks John, I'm getting to enjoy weathering, Stix has drummed into me the different stages of adding washes,targeted washes, etc.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2017 at 3:44 PM, modelman182 said:

As this is a fairly new venture for you, I'd just say do it OOB and enjoy the build. Eduard's PE makes it into a very nice model, but is fairly fiddly.

Only thing I'd add is some thread (painted with gunmetal) and a hook. The last time I did one I used one of the hooks from Academy's Tank Supplies Set 2, but that seems to a bit like hen's teeth at the moment (Amazon have one for over £70 - which is ludicrous as RRP is less than a fiver, IIRC!!). Maybe you could ask the folks here at BM if they have one of the straight chains and hooks they could spare you?? Then it's just a matter of cutting off the chain, drilling a hole in the hook with a pin vice and appropriately small drill bit, and wrapping the painted thread around the winch (fitted under the chassis) - run it through the guide rollers (fitted to the rear bumper)  and glue the hook on the end beyond the rollers. Just a small but 'finishing' touch.

For weathering, you can keep it fairly light. I cut two small arced segments of masking tape, fitted them to the front screen and then oversprayed the front windows with a light sand colour to simulate wiper tracks in the sand drifting onto the front. I then lightly sprayed the lower half of the body and the wheels with a slightly darker sand mix. Finally a dusting of the light sand over whatever equipment and tarps you have on the turtle back. Of course, you can leave it factory fresh if you like - saves a lot of time and effort ;):D

Cheers

Kev

Sorry for not replying earlier Kev, I've been reading up and doing some research, your ideas are going to influence some of the development of the build. Progress is slow but I'm trying to do something each weekend..

This weekend I got more painting/weathering and even gluing done! Progress, I then discovered that I'd missed painting the inner section of the tyres... didn't notice until Stix had photographed them - so it was out with the Anthracite and weathering washes again...

Here's the results:

35000840620_6d8ebf8f71_c.jpg

• Like 5

Those axles look lovely, Mrs P. I've ordered the Eduard PE for my kit, the Gun stuff has arrived, but I'm still awaiting the Tractor stuff. Lord only knows when I'll get round to doing the kit, though! Lots of stuff that HAS to be done before I can start on the Quad and Gun. :D

Just keep enjoying this build, I'm sure the end result will be an object of delight and pride.

Kev

• Like 1

Nice start on the Quad. 

I have the kit with the 25pdr which is 99.9 percent finished, although in dark green for the European Theatre, just to be different. It's a nice easy build with only a few areas of minor concern, those being the fit of the bonnet/engine compartment parts, the fixing of the glazing (always an issue with CA and capillary action overspill) and the drive shafts. But as I say, they are minor issues and only stand out because everything else is so very very easy.

I did think about adding seated crew behind the driver but that turned out impossible as they'd have to be severely deformed in order to fit. I'm thinking the interior seating arrangement is entirely inaccurate.

There's not a lot more I can add really. I'm sure your Quad will turn out luvvverly!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2017 at 9:19 PM, Carius said:

Great paint job indeed 

Nice progress :popcorn:

Cheers! I've been out of action for a while -see latest post for explanation! 

On 6/19/2017 at 9:19 PM, modelman182 said:

Those axles look lovely, Mrs P. I've ordered the Eduard PE for my kit, the Gun stuff has arrived, but I'm still awaiting the Tractor stuff. Lord only knows when I'll get round to doing the kit, though! Lots of stuff that HAS to be done before I can start on the Quad and Gun. :D

Just keep enjoying this build, I'm sure the end result will be an object of delight and pride.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm just back to getting on with the build - may look to develop it depending on progress! 

On 6/19/2017 at 10:15 PM, Kris B said:

W like the effect you achieved. Have you used a dry brush on it? 

Hi Kris, sorry not to have replied sooner, yes all brushed by hand  

On 6/22/2017 at 6:17 AM, Badder said:

Nice start on the Quad. 

I have the kit with the 25pdr which is 99.9 percent finished, although in dark green for the European Theatre, just to be different. It's a nice easy build with only a few areas of minor concern, those being the fit of the bonnet/engine compartment parts, the fixing of the glazing (always an issue with CA and capillary action overspill) and the drive shafts. But as I say, they are minor issues and only stand out because everything else is so very very easy.

I did think about adding seated crew behind the driver but that turned out impossible as they'd have to be severely deformed in order to fit. I'm thinking the interior seating arrangement is entirely inaccurate.

There's not a lot more I can add really. I'm sure your Quad will turn out luvvverly!

Rearguards

Badder

Cheers Badder! - sorry not to have replied sooner, I'm finding it fairly straightforward so far as my first 1/35 vehicle build.

• Like 1

Some of you may have noticed my absence recently - I managed to have a fall at work - those of a squeamish nature look away now!

IMG_8779

one week later:

IMG_8813

I had an accident whilst out on a trip - I got the loop of my trainer hooked on a tilted up chair leg, which resulted in a spectacular face plant, with my hand getting rather a large lump and bruise. I also bruised my knees and foot. 

Yesterday I managed to get some work done on the engine - it's painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite and dry brushed with Humbrol's Gunmetal

IMG_9038

IMG_9041

IMG_9042

IMG_9043

IMG_9045

I've just started work on the chassis - well seam removal and such...

• Like 4

Ouch, the hand looks painful.

Reminds me, if I may divert from the thread, of a time when the band I was in supported the famous Welsh 70's-80's rock band BUDGIE for a second time and I was allowed to use the drummer's kit. It was huge, but aside from the fact that I was never going to be able to reach everything, his bass pedal was set extremely loose, so every time I kicked the pedal it bounced back off the drum skin and the nut on the back of the beater hit me on the top of the foot.

Within thirty seconds or so of our intro (with a lot of bass drum work) I was in severe pain, but that progressed to agony and then alternating agony and numbness, until the end when I got off the kit and could barely walk. To cut a long story short, I woke up in the morning with a foot swollen to twice the size, including my toes, and all was black, purple, blue and green.

A few hours with my foot in an bucket of ice water got the swelling down a bit, but not enough for me to get a sock or shoe on. And I was a self-employed taxi driver at the time. It was 5 days before I got back to work, but I suppose I was lucky because I could have lost my foot, or worse, to septicaemia.

The moral of the story... Always remember that just like peanuts, a BUDGIE's nuts maybe small, but they can cause serious swelling and possibly death.

ANYHOO.....

Great work on the engine, it looks great. it's a shame it's going to be hidden. Having said that, maybe this is an opportunity to try brushing it over with graphite powder from a 'sanded down' 3B pencil. If you don't like the effect you can always wash it off, but I think you'll like it.

It's getting very difficult to distinguish your work from your worse-half's. Carry on like this and you'll soon be giving HIM lessons!

BTW, are you planning on doing the 'Mickey Mouse' camo pattern, or just plain desert yellow?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1