VA-52 Skyraider stripe colours?

Greetings All,

Two photographs attached for your coments / suggestions.

I'm trying to establish the likley colours for the additional 'thin' bands as applied to VA-52's Skyraiders during the Vietnam War.

There are many reditions and kit decalks for VA-52's CAG bird '300 - 34569' however not as many (if any) exist for the Non-CAG work horses of this unit.

My inclination that that the Blue Fuselage band is bordered by two additional thin blue stripes, whilst the blue fin tip has a thin stripe painted black?

Just seeing here if others agree with my assumptions of blue fuse & black fin stripes. The addional photograph below appear to be both black edged, however I'm not quite sure, hence this post.

Appreciate any advise and / or further colour photographic evidence to assist in a possible future modelling project.

Cheers.. Dave

image164_zpsnnzl6nyj.jpgDouglas_A-1H_Skyraiders_of_VA-52_in_flig

Thanks Jari,

The middle (often modelled) CAG aircraft is what I'm trying to avoid. It seems to be done to death IMO.

This photograph, however does show the Dark Blue underwing pylons which were painted on all VA-52 Skyraiders during their last (of three) Vietnam deployments.

I've read that this was applied to pay homage to their fellow Skyraider compatriots that took part in the Korean War.

Ideally a non CAG VA-52 Skyraider, with Dark Blue pylons is one which I'd consider modelling, however I'm not 100% sure of the additional fuse and fin stripes.

Cheers.. Dave.

If you've not seen already, Z-M has it in 1/32 decals with the thin black striping. The pics you show seem to support black thin stripes on both the tail and fuselage.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/download/sws03d03_302_ee.pdf

http://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=802

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • Like 1

Thanks Ziggyfoos,

Apologies for the grainy image below, however this now seems to settle the score I reckon.

Thanks to the Z-M links above, I've managed to copy and enlarge this decal sheet image to 'confirm' by previous assumptions.

Actually, enlarging the photo's on one's phone / tablet, also seems to confirm the black edging to these blue VA-52 bands.

I'll now purchase the new CAM 1/72 Black Stencil Letters and Numbers Part II # 72A07 in order to replicate one of these non-CAG Skyraiders.

Appreciate all your help and efforts.

c9b59011-61a2-49a8-9410-5d3b0d4e64e9_zps

The squadron trim colors of USN aircraft should have continued from the pre-war schemes of Red, White, True Blue, Black, Willow Green, and Lemon Yellow. Added to these are silver, orange, a dark green, and a powder blue. Typically these added trim colors could have been mixed 1-1 from two of the other colors, except for silver of course. It is how VA-22 mixed their powder blue trim colors in the early '80's when I was there: 1-1 mix of True Blue and White. When we couldn't get True Blue we used Insignia Blue which resulted in a darker blue, but still lighter than True Blue. Eventually we shifted to Insignia Blue simply because it was easier to get, but at the same time we shifted to the all gray Tactical Paint Scheme which obviated the need. 

Some of those colors may have simply been a misunderstanding over the years of the correct color. Dark green supplanting Willow Green because it wasn't easy to get for a period. Just a theory of mine...based on my experience with VA-22. 

So unless I know the specific color of the trim, by specified FS value, then I'd would go with one of the official trim colors for USN aircraft in overall Glossy Sea Blue or Light Gull Gray over White schemes. 

• Like 1

Interesting notes above Greenshirt.

I assume Black would have also been a typical 'on hand' colour so can see why we have come to this conclusion regarding VA-52.  

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.. Dave.

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Interesting notes above Greenshirt.

I assume Black would have also been a typical 'on hand' colour so can see why we have come to this conclusion regarding VA-52.  

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.. Dave.

Black does not appear to be one of the air wing colors...they would be green, orange, yellow, red and blue; blue being the VA-52 trim color; based on the accent colors on 300. The black striping is just for accenting the blue on the rest of their aircraft. There was likely only 5 squadrons in the air wing (19) on Ticonderoga when they were flying Skyraiders in 1966. VA-52 having 3XX codes was the third squadron and True Blue is likely their trim color. In my squadron (VA-22) it was the third as well and True Blue was its color (albeit at one point they used a powder blue).