I've always admired the graceful design of the Gloster Gladiator. The RAF's last bi-plane fighter has some fascinating stories attached to its brief career as a frontline fighter, cut short in the build up to WW2 by the development both in Germany and the UK of faster monoplane designs powered by the type of inline, liquid-cooled engines that fascinated the public during the Schneider trophy era. Nevertheless, there are some absorbing stories associated with the a/c, not least the hectic struggles of Faith, Hope and Charity over Malta before the beleagured island was reinforced first by Hurricanes and later by Spitfires.

As a BoB nut, a few years ago I joined the Battle of Britain Historical Society and went on a few pilgrimages to crash sites with other members. Amongst these, I got to know the son of a family whose name is readily associated with the hilarious TV series following the exploits of Rowan Atkinson and his colleagues - Blackadder. My friend's father, William Francis Blackadder, joined the Auxiliary air Force in 1937 and in mid November 1939 flew with 607 (County of Durham) Squadron to France to support the BEF and the Allies against the German threat after the invasion of Poland and the declaration of war. At the time, 607 Squadron were still equipped with Gladiators, and Francis Blackadder flew to France in a/c registered as K8000  AFoF. Throughout the winter of 1939/40, the squadron operated their Galdiators but were fortunately re-equipped with Hurricanes just before 10 May 1940 when the German advance west started.

Gladiator K8000 was lost in March 1940 when the squadron was practising squadron attacks in France. It collided with another of the unit's aircraft when both pilots were killed. Francis Blackadder wasn't involved in this tragedy and after leave back in England in early May 1940, returned to 607 Squadron and eventually returned to England after Operation Dynamo. He flew Hurricanes with 607 Squadron through much of the BoB based at Tangmere near Chichester and was awarded the DSO and promoted to Flying Officer.

34763412422_03130de130_c.jpg

I decided to reacquaint myself with the frustrations of bi-plane construction and rigging, using Roden's 1:48 scale kit to portray Blackadder's Gladiator, the result of the build being the subject of this post. Not being blessed with particularly nimble fingers or great eyesight, it was a satisfying build but not without its frustrations. This is actually my 2nd effort. I made a fundamental error after completing the first one by spraying it overall with what I can only assume wasn't the right acrylec satin spray which produced an overall effect as if the model had been operating in a Finnish winter scenarion, covered in a white mottling. Impossible to correct, hence my second attempt where I fortunately managed the finish reasonably well.

34539968900_6e441f9d38_n.jpg  34763423862_96d80926d2_n.jpg  34116746143_3036361ba1_n.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time mixing a shade to replicate something like the texture of the weathered & singed stainless exhaust system of the Galdiator's radial engine after looking at the renovation that was then going on of a similar a/c up at Duxford. It was also one of my early efforts at producing some measure if the scratches. oil and exhaust stains that typified a/c in service generally. The radio antenna required a bit of ingenuity but turned out OK, as did the rigging with careful location of pre-drilled holes and that wonderful elasticated rigging material.

34763411842_bf56135156_n.jpg  34116747083_b881a40947_n.jpg  34116743233_2bbf08db25_n.jpg

I didn't complicate the build by adding too much detail to Roden's OOB offering apart from some etched seat belts, some fuse wire brake lines and the decals from various aftermarket sheets but I was quite pleased with the finished item. Any confidence I've developed in terms of bi-plane building will doubtless be completely eroded once I have a go at one of the WnW 1:32 scale offerings.

• Like 55

Paul that's a stunning Gladiator and as a Geordie I'm always  delighted to see a 607 aircraft modelled and so well too! Great job

on her.I wonder being from Gosforth if Rowan Atkinson had input on some of the Character's names the Percy's being a well known

Northumbrian Family name  although I'm alarmed by the fact that Captain Blackadder frightened Sarah Wallace with papier-

mache willie's as that's my Gt Grandmother's maiden name!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments. The Blackadder family of which William Francis was part definitely hail from your part of the world. The son I met is Robert who, like his father I suspect is a big, hearty type who lives in Shoreham and helps out at the Tangmere air museum, located on a remnant of the airfield where his father was based during the BoB. There was a TV show some years back where members of the Blackadder clan had been invited to enjoy clips and reminiscences of the TV series. I spotted him chortling away in the audience. Anyway, glad you like the model. There'll be more!! Paul

• Like 2

Hi Spaddad,

Not planning to carry on the Blackadder theme although I seem to recall there's one somewhere with AFoF markings. I've got a couple of Hurricanes to post at some point, one of which depicts one from another BoB Tangmere unit. More later.

Cheers

• Like 1

Lovely Gladiator, and interesting back story. It is always nice to see a connection with a model.

44 minutes ago, Pauls9cb said:

Not planning to carry on the Blackadder theme

Aw, and there was me thinking you 'had a cunning plan'!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Well done on this lovely model.  I have a soft spot in my heart for these Gladiators, used so courageously in so many different theatres...Malta to Helsinki to China...

Edited by John D.C. Masters
text

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent model and thanks for the back story.

Must admit I thought I'd see a WWI Sopwith or some-such.

To my shame, I was ignorant of the fact that a Blackadder family line had a true place in history.

Great opportunity to learn something new! B)

I have to say that when I first came across the family connection with the BoB, I thought it might have been some sort of jolly jape. Francis Blackadder's son let me read his father's diari (handwritten) from the early days of the war up to the retreat from France in June 1940. We talked about writing a book based on this diary but at the time the family thought Francis Blackadder would have preferred to keep it all private like so many pilots of that era, so I didn't manage that. I've subsequently seen a book more recently published that looks very much like the diaries I'd seen covering 607 Squadron's time in France during late 39/early 40 and the German push through the Low Countries in May 1940 when the squadron had recently been re-equipped with Hurricanes. Quite an interesting man and one whose diaries for the BoB I'd love to read.

Paul

Would this have been the same Blackadder who commanded 245 squadron from the early summer of 1941?

I doubt there were too many officers with that surname

Loverly job on the Gladiator

I hadn't gone much further in my research than his experiences with 607 squadron, but looking today at his service career, he was indeed commanding 245 Squadron at the end of 1941. As you said, it was probably a very good bet based on the humurous scarcity of the family name. My main interest has always been on the BoB down here on the south coast, on which I published a few books over the last few years. More recently, I've been drawn back towards my teenage interest in the air war over the Western Front in WW1.

Cheers