Sea Vixen Belly Landing G-CVIX

cathasatail

I think the tanks are actually compressed paper/resin construction, much like the old 100ig ranks the Sea Harrier used.

• 2 weeks later...

SVdamage.jpg

screen grab from a BBC Points West report showing some of the damage  -  "...still trying to ascertain the extent of it - at least a year to repair if repairable... and the cost to put her in the air again....hundreds of thousands "

If it comes to public subscription, then I'm guessing that the donations needed will be of an order of magnitude less than what was needed for the Tin Triangle.

Trevor

• Like 1

Looks like much more damage than first thought. They are saying 2 years to fix. I presume that is if they find the money to do it. Problem these days is there are far too many people after your cash for these type of things and some of it (not saying for one minute Navy Wings is included here)  is not as transparent as I would like,

https://www.navywings.org.uk/news-blog/sea-vixen-update-20th-june/

Julien

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

£2.3 million they are saying for cost and 2-3 years but I would say the cost could rise Navy wings are asking for a "White Knight" to help .

Richard Branson !!!!! :rofl:

Guy

Branson could pay the bills in one go, not miss the money amongst the small change and get his accountants to write it off as a tax loss for the UK element of his empire.  While he's at it I have a friend who's 16 year old daughter needs some frighteningly expensive cancer treatment in America.......(hoping for miracles here)

I have to agree with you T7 I would love to see her back in the air but maybe this is a hurdle to far (hope I'm wrong).

Guy

The videos of that landing made me whince. The pilot did as good a job as you could ask of a man but there's no getting away from the fact that skidding along a concrete runway does fearsome amounts of damage.

It almost angers me at the levels of ignorance when people who wouldn't know how to remove a spark plug from a car engine feel perfectly qualified to comment about how superficial such damage likely is commenting on Youtube videos.

I regret that I have never seen the Sea Vixen fly although I dearly wanted to. Its airshow attendance always seemed to deftly avoid mine. I do hope that G-CVIX is repairable and it is indeed carried out, but I personally believe that the aircraft's future as a flyer is uncertain at best.

• Like 4

According to their web page, they have cracked both tail booms, warped the main bulkhead in the engine compartment and damage to the gear box. This is going to take around 2-3 years if they get the funding.

rio

8 hours ago, rio said:

According to their web page, they have cracked both tail booms, warped the main bulkhead in the engine compartment and damage to the gear box. This is going to take around 2-3 years if they get the funding.

Funding being the keyword ! 2-3 years is an estimate could go on longer and the cost could rise and the rest of the fleet has yet to get sorted !

Guy

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It almost angers me at the levels of ignorance when people who wouldn't know how to remove a spark plug from a car engine feel perfectly qualified to comment about how superficial such damage likely is commenting on Youtube videos.

Very well said Jamie. On the head of the nail.

Best Regards,

Antti

I'm so pleased I saw it at Duxford that day.  I'm another one who seemed to go to every airshow this aircraft wasn't present at. It was a a great performance that day. I too wonder if it can be reasonably fixed but I fear the worst. How's that Sea Fury doing after its belly landing the other year? I hope they can fix both but the cost is enormous and I can't see it ever happening sadly. :nah:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HP42 said:

I'm so pleased I saw it at Duxford that day.  I'm another one who seemed to go to every airshow this aircraft wasn't present at. It was a a great performance that day. I too wonder if it can be reasonably fixed but I fear the worst. How's that Sea Fury doing after its belly landing the other year? I hope they can fix both but the cost is enormous and I can't see it ever happening sadly. :nah:

Sea Fury T.20 VX281 is with Kennet Aviation at North Weald and is progressing well it had it's engine ground run on the 20th June , it was hoped that it would be at Yeovilton this weekend for the Air day but I don't think it's flown yet. Sea Vixen and the Sea Fury are not part of the same organisation .

Hope this helps.

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...