Interesting Finnish Air Force link with film...1920s

John Masters

I was trying to find the Kari Stenman book on the Finnish AF from 1919 to the late twenties (no luck) and I cam across this very interesting page.  The read is good--nothing new, really, but well done, and the article has a link to a fascination 4-5 minute film.  Lots of Hansas on skis, a Breguet on skis landing and what I the was a brief glimpse of a Morane Saulnier A1 on skis taxiing.  Lots of snow and very brave pilots for sure.

http://www.alternativefinland.com/suomen-ilmavoimat-finnish-air-force-brief-history-first-half-1920s/

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, Sir. Excellent air to air shots in that film.

The parasol monoplane coming in to land is doubtless a Gourdou-Leseurre GL-22. This was a development of a French design near the end of the war which achieved extraordinary speeds with the 180hp Hispano-Suiza, Improved models after the war achieved some success on the export market. It's one I have considered scratch-building. Glad to find there is one preserved in Finland.

Not exactly Antti.  The one O was looking for had a Fokker DVII on the cover.  However, this looks like something just as good and covers the same time period. Perhaps it is the same book but with a new look?

Thank you for the link!

Hi all,

I think John means this book: https://www.librarything.com/work/8481111/members ?

Those are two different books. 1918-1938 is 30 years older and in smaller format. Biggest plus for it is camouflage drawings. Newer one has pålenty of more pictures including also Russian and German activities during 1918 and individual aircraft histories. Both have been sold out long time ago.

The Ilmavoimat 1918-27 is first part of a series. Second is 1928-40 and then yearly up to 1944.

BTW - monoplane fighters in the film are Gourdou-Leseurre B3s.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi John,

Go to "Palaute" (Feedback) and fill in lines:

- First name,

- Last name,

- E-mail,

- Phone,

- Your feedback. That you would like to buy this book, postage and matter of payment. etc.

Good luck!

AaCee