1/72 Hasegawa Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VI ****FINISHED****

AndrewE

Here is my entry for this GB.  I shall be doing the Hasegawa  Beaufighter  incorporating an Aires cockpit set and Aeroclub exhausts (to replace the kit ones which are completely devoid of any detail).  I shall be doing it in the night fighter scheme so may use the kit decals or  Print Scale decals which also have a similar option on the sheet.

96467e27-a316-4f55-9971-490d60f2cc5d.JPG

• Like 4

A slow start but at last I have the resin cockpit in place and painted all ready to zip up the fuselage.  This build has certainly confirmed one thing,  I like resin cockpits but not the photoetch that goes with them! The throttle levers were far too small to fit (I did try!) and the bits I did use (seat belts, instrument panel and a couple of other pieces) did eventually stick in place but most will be lost to sight as the canopy will be closed.

I added some ribbing and seatbelts to the navigators seat area as well although again I do not think much will be able to be seen once the fuselage is closed and canopy put in place.

resized_f3ebfd46-8232-4161-acd3-5a7cae74

c270ba7f-5a2c-4157-8398-eb942b374281.JPG

• Like 6

Well, this interior looks really busy and convincingly so. Super job. Are you going to add the bright red hand rail that runs on both sides of the fuselage behind the pilot?

This model is definitely going to look great when finished!

JR

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jean said:

Well, this interior looks really busy and convincingly so. Super job. Are you going to add the bright red hand rail that runs on both sides of the fuselage behind the pilot?

This model is definitely going to look great when finished!

JR

Thanks.  I did try and install them as they came on the etch set with the cockpit but after a couple of attempts to attach them I gave up since I knew they would not be visible once the fuselage was closed up.  I feel slightly ashamed now, must be getting lazy in my old age!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage all zipped up now, filler and primed with Halfords plastic primer. I purchased a set of Eduard canopy masks last week as well, not a perfect fit but they are worth every penny in time saved. I have tried some pre shading with some roughly applied acrylic black using a brush rather than air-brush.  I put a coat of Xtracrylix Mid Stone on this evening and it looks OK, with the black just visible through the mid stone.  I hope to get the dark earth and black on by Friday if all goes to plan.

resized_b3f306ca-1d55-40f9-a288-397a72b6

resized_1500d9b2-3aff-49e9-a1c4-754b7065

• Like 2

I feel like a right plonker!  I purchased a paint mask for the Beaufighter, never used them before and it was on offer so I thought I would give it a go.  Even if I never used the mask itself I thought the mask pattern would be very useful.  What I neglected to do was work out which order you need to spray the colours on for them to work!  Turns out that for the scheme I am doing the masks are designed to paint the black then the dark earth and finally the mid stone. Great! except of course I always start with the lighter colour and work through to the darkest.  Well the short story is that I tried to use a mirror image of masks photocopied onto paper but in the end went for the trusty blutac which has turned out very well.

resized_3627ae4a-da15-4713-89aa-6ce64851

resized_eb9c74b1-860a-45d3-beef-2f1546c4

• Like 3

All coming together nicely now, managed to get the underside painted black (slightly lightened with grey) on Friday evening, undercarriage on yesterday and decals on this morning.

resized_3c9f4acf-61a9-44cf-bdd8-835b41d8

resized_3eab2540-06c2-4b22-bcc6-c6cfaa6a

resized_fa9aa127-7ef5-4529-9c13-472daba6

• Like 7

All now finished.  Very pleased with the result except maybe the colour of the red in the Print Scale decals which seem rather to pink, I shall have to put it down to weathering in the Mediterranean sun!

The kit decals were slightly off register so I did not put any of the stencils on the undersides, not sure what the codes were like, although the red looked better than the Print Scale ones.  Until I started to put the decals on I did not realise that there was nose art to this option either which is an added bonus for sticking with the Print Scale markings.

"Slippery Ship II" is a 89 Squadron machine based in North Africa/Malta in 1943.  Piloted by Flying Officer M C Shipard and Pilot Officer D Oxby who claimed 13 victories whilst flying together.  Shipard was the top scoring RAAF nightfighter ace of the war.  Oxby went on to increase his score to 21 making him the top scoring RAF nightfighter navigator/radar operator of the war.

resized_eefdddfb-6153-4062-a857-df30588c

resized_ead243d6-2793-4069-8217-2367fdbb

resized_39653659-566c-4156-a3f9-5c26de5c

resized_32f84057-43da-42c1-9feb-f47e3af0

ca4cb181-17f4-4b18-af1a-f65b7cfa2cd1.JPG

resized_1e48c510-77f6-4c1d-b448-dceab920

resized_107ea4a5-1b23-4064-85f6-a0091834

a0cbba8e-112d-4986-9d6a-6c4458ccdb1a.JPG

fb444d7d-652e-4533-99ce-6cdbec749992.JPG

• Like 10

21 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Very nice.

As a note, the prop hubs shouldn't be silver. They should be painted the same black as the prop blades.

Chris

Thanks for the comments, and pointing out the error with the colour of the prop hubs, all sorted now and pics reposted.  Note to self - check the references and don't just follow the painting call outs on the instructions!

• Like 1

Very nice beaufighter. The camouflage looks superb and the base is the perfect finishing touch.

:goodjob: 

TonyT