Minicraft Douglas DC-4 1/144

I'm on a bit of a classic airliner kick at the moment. As well as the 737, I'm having a go at the Minicraft Douglas DC-4 kit. It's a fairly modern kit (1990s) so fits well and has nice recessed panel lines.

The kit is available with in different boxings with a number of decal options. This edition comes with a very nice set of 1950s Pan Am markings. However, I want to do the model as an Irish Aer Turas DC-4 operated in the 1960s.The aircraft involved is EI-AOR which was used in the 1965/66 period. It's before my plane spotting days so I don't remember this one at all - although I do remember EI-ARS which Aer Turas flew until 1976.

WIVwxKmf.jpg

WGa0j8ki.jpg

REZe2Mic.jpg

D5DezPsO.jpg

t0nep22R.jpg

First job was to add some weights to the nose. I've used some nuts to provide the weight and applied some PVA glue to keep them in place. The full size DC-4/C-54 had a tendency to sit on its tail so they often made use of a tai9l prop when parked or being loaded to prevent any embarrassing see-saw moments.

9bvbY8W3.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice to see another thread about my favourite airliner kit but if you're planning to keep us updated on your build I wonder if it might be better in Work in Progress?  It's a while since we had a proper airliner WIP.

I assume you've seen this?

I hadn't seen that build. Now that I have I'm not sure if it's encouraging or discouraging :).  That is one neat rendition.

To make mine a bit different, I'll try and add a bit of weathering as the pictures I've found of the real EI-AOR does show that it wasn't exactly pristine.

With so many places to post builds on forums, I'm never 100% sure what the best location is for in-progress reports. The Classic Airliner sub-forum here can be a bit quiet but I'll keep the build reports here but will put the finished result in the mainstream finished model forum.

Made some good progress on the DC-4. Main components assembled, primed and undersurface spayed with Alejo Aluminium. I've now masked
off the metallic areas so I can spray the upper fuselage white. It looks a bit like a demented pigeon at the moment -

52TCGCjT.jpg

• Like 1

That's got to be the worst attempt at building a wing !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...