Wright Flyer Stripdown, Aerobase 1/72

Some threads just mentioned the film "Those Magnificent men . . " and I found a trailer on Youtube with the Wright Flyer at the end. So good point to show my last finished stripdown, but not from Eduard as my others. This is the Wright "The Flyer" of the Japanese company Aerobase in 1/72.

This biplane was done out of the box, even the base plate was included. Also a thread for rigging was included, but I have used something thinner. The flyer was soldered as usual, but since the parts are thicker, it is much easier to build compared to the Eduard ones. So I can really suggest it as starter into this area. The painting was done with Gunze and oils.

The only funny thing was the rigging. According to the manual the task was done, but I found a lot of free rigging points on the model! After a research in internet I found manuals of other kits, e.g. in 1/16, and other sources which enabled me to finish the rigging and control wires completely according to the original Flyer. The pilot Orville was my first painting of a figure, and this in 1/72 :tmi:

Have fun and feel free to ask, if you have questions!

Frank

ouAfBZn9hMWTVc9Gcyx71pPRjIbVznyhbyZd35BH

Yu2PSDbWy-gam6Xo9nZB9vn8SLlwlhlBt8q7cT-L

V1b7QEd0ouvM6LGyCwlPqJCDwCfMo-sGnVHT9qYY

3dK5aH46k4kj0vuPQkKKifMmZH__Uz8GHOHp5Kap

0YEn8PtsNmNf-5ZxdjBiWc_c5-FlzrxKiacg8-We

0qHlyFXtHSxyns8Et_khl9hSTbq8UravVl3bOeuc

gL7b43LMkbapAyEY_TbwQtcOljmps9BEyLqxQZYF

MOXOhmR02DMPhJyipiYnNiH0Zev5YdF-t-a0N7DQ

959WbK22okgPQhC4eynFkoZIjNKKjAFOH5cAZM6U

q6o1_E6k0n9O2mxJiuoxbqjJUpAUPkhiRzRi7cu1

Engine and pilot:

v1_INbsZyNnwCCT6QvN_eZYZRZ4eWl-_V0fneY6N

See the tin solder:

6lwBOemVragtkCAr-3wCAxRWn89-bE1lqSQYwjmH

The ribs are individual parts:

lcUfUXa-H-DqLko_UT9x44vWf6yu7zme3CJVC9RL

• Like 20

Hi, that looks fabulous. I have built a couple of the smaller scale Aerobase kits (Flyer and Spirit of St Louis), and I have the Graf Zeppelin in my stash. I enjoy them a lot, although my results don't really compare with yours!

Several of the model stores i have visited in Japan have had display cabinets of the whole range built up....they look so intricate and detailed, but a satisfactory result can be deceptively straight-forward to achieve.

Having said that, yours is definitely a step up on the display builds. Nice work!

• Like 1

My brain is still struggling with the smallness/complexity of this! You've just confirmed my belief that you should be called 'Frankie Tweezer-hands'.

Compared with your models, mine look like the efforts of a toddler.

• Like 1

That is a superb representation. I have often thought about a scratch build of this in 1/72 scale, but this is in an altogether different class. Modelling skills of the very highest order here- many congratulations.

P

• Like 1

Thank you very much! Nice to here, that you like this one :bye:

On 5/27/2017 at 6:42 AM, F1xena said:

Several of the model stores i have visited in Japan have had display cabinets of the whole range built up....they look so intricate and detailed, but a satisfactory result can be deceptively straight-forward to achieve.

Having said that, yours is definitely a step up on the display builds. Nice work!

Nice info and big praise - thx! Years ago I have build the Spirit of St. Lois and the 1/48 Lilienthal is in my stash. The very small ones looks more toylike.

17 hours ago, spiton said:

mirror reflection in Backgraund looks fantastic 

The base was part of the kit, with protection foils on both sides. It looks good, but it is a electrostatic dust magnet! I have taken this model multiple times to exhibitions, but it is hard to clean afterwards.

8 hours ago, pheonix said:

I have often thought about a scratch build of this in 1/72 scale,

It do not reach the representation of the original like the Eduard stripdowns, but it could be a good base for further detailing. I should be also robust enough to cover it with paper like my Demoiselle.

Cheers,

Frank