Lightning bits

Hi Gents,

I've been looking at photos of the tyres (main wheels) used on Lightnings in the 1980s. Some have a 3 groove tread and some a 5 groove tread. 

I suspect that the 3 groove one came later but I'd love to hear if this tyre replaced the 5 groove one or if they were both used simultaneously (e.g. tyres from different manufacturers, or made to a different specification?).

Also, does anyone know if the letters on the 1983 display F3 aircraft XP753 that read 'LIGHTNING AERO'S 83' (in light blue on the side just in front of the wing) had a thin white outline or were just solid blue in colour?

Thanks very much for any help, much appreciated.

Bob.

Bob,

I can't answer your question as regards the tyres. There are lots of photos easily found of XP-753 of the LTF, (which is why I haven't posted one of the many), It would appear to me that LIGHTNING AERO'S 83 was just in light-blue. I am basing my observation on the fact that FLT LT M L THOMPSON was only several inches above it, all in white and smaller and using it as reference. I saw no hint of a white outline when magnifying one of the images, including adjusting brightness, contrast, etc.

Here is a link to lots of pics of XP-753.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/107645514498566597638/album/AF1QipM7JXNq4p4k9JOfFNp1ALDnhZBRsRDqLqxRTdgq

Edited by TBC

Thanks very much for the link to the 753 photos, TBC, much appreciated.

Yes, in the shot of the cockpit area of the aircraft, it looks like light blue letters with odd random bits of lighter colour (as if it'd been worn off / chipped in places to reveal an undercoat?), but as you say no obvious outline.

Regarding the tyres, I can see quite a few of the 3 grooved ones in photos in the early 80s (82, 83, etc,) and on the LPG machines at Brunty, whereas the ones I've seen so far on operational late 80s aircraft (86, 87, 88) are the 5 groove ones 

(Hendon's XS925 has the 5). I'll keep looking to see if I see different.

***Update*** Just found a shot of an aircraft mid eighties which has the 5 groove one side and the 3 groove the other, plus a 1987 shot showing a 3 groove fitted, so looks like a mix and match to me.

Thanks again. Bob.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
  • Like 1

From my time on Lightning's I'm guessing your looking as new verses worn tyres. As for XP 753 F3 the Aero's jet it was a one off paint job for that season unfortunately it wasn't a lucky paint job as she crashed in Scarborough north bay carry out a unauthorised display Flt LT Mike Thompson perished in the crash too. I was on Gate guard that day watched her leave Binbrook. There was talk of a court marshal if he'd had lived.

accident report.

• Like 1

Thanks for that tweeky.

My tyre question was because my model is of a late 80s machine and I've not seen many photos of the 3 grooved tyres on these.

I've since discovered that the 3 groove tyres are Goodyears and the 5 grooved are Dunlops (see photos here).

I'd be very interested if anyone's got a photo of a late 80s machine with the Goodyears on.

Cheers Bob.

These are the Goodyear ones (3 grooved):-

1i1Hak.jpg

OAd3eM.jpg

...and these are the 5 grooved Dunlops

BByV03.jpg

FO2u2I.jpg

• Like 1

Here you go

Hi Mark..I'll have a look through my photos but if I remember rightly we had mainly Goodyear covers.... But did see Dunlop now and again ,interestingly that's my writing on that wheel..I first noticed it one my first visit to Brunty.........................I was wrong..quite a mix.
binbrook%20tyre%20bay2_zpslsxfoi8f.jpg
binbrook%20tyre%20bay3_zpszx6dkcv5.jpg

binbrook%20tyre%20bay1_zpstvve4wjo.jpg

Edited by tweeky
photos added instead of links.
  • Like 4

The photos are from the guy I mentioned, but when I was

on 5 Sqn we used to do a wheel and brake unit run once a day may be twice if it was a cross wind... I can still smell the place heavy rubber smell with a hint of OM15 (hyd oil)

Edited by tweeky