1/48 dh venom

Pilot Replicas in Sweden are planning a NF.3 and Sea Venom

Aeroclub did multi media Venom/Sea Venom kits.

And, Mike, as you are in the US I'll bet you CA Venom kits  are easier to get than in the UK ;)

HTH

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch the CA kit again with a 40 foot barge pole.

Hopelessly inaccurate, even worse given that we offered full access to both our aircraft 

but CA chose to play games instead.

Aeroclub is good but will keep you honest.

I heard Pilot Replica's have first class reference and technical information B)

looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if we will see the Venoms from Pilot Replicas.  The 1/48 Saab J21 and J29 kits seem to have disappeared, Hannants and Spruebrothers do not even list those at all.

Does anyone know what's going on with this company? 

• Like 1

On 2017-5-26 at 10:16 PM, NAVY870 said:

I wouldn't touch the CA kit again with a 40 foot barge pole.

Hopelessly inaccurate, even worse given that we offered full access to both our aircraft 

but CA chose to play games instead.

I have the CA kit and intent to build it (one day...!)

Do you have a link or details of what exactly is wrong with the CA Venom? Even if I can't do anything about the inaccuracies, I like to know where they are :)

Cheers

Jon

16 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Do you have a link or details of what exactly is wrong with the CA Venom? Even if I can't do anything about the inaccuracies, I like to know where they are :)

Cheers

Jon

Personally, I found the CA kits to be pretty good.  It's a while since I built one but I seem to recall that there is an issue with the boom part numbers & best not to follow the instructions but go with what fits!

Found the old article I posted in 2008!  

And see what I mean about the booms.  They are handed & if you assemble as per the instructions, the horizontal connecting plane does NOT fit as the short stubs on the boom halves are NOT the same length, being slightly longer on the outsides (where the short outer parts are attached) than on the insides.  Look at the parts & it should be obvoius.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Cheers

Jon

Biggest issue is the cockpit, the kit is supposed to be either a FAW.21, a 53 (my own WZ.897) or a FAW.22

Unfortunately due to appallingly sloppy research what you get in the box is pure FAW.20 which is a far different beast to

the later version both internally and externally.

You cannot build an accurate model from the box since the insides are wrong for the given versions and the outsides are wrong

for the inside bits.

Tail cone shape is way too fat, booms are short.

Wing fence's are off

Lots of little detail things that wont matter to most but annoy the snot out of me.

As I remarked earlier, I offered full access to CA of both our aircraft and library but for reasons known only to them

they were extremely rude and dismissive, not one of my favourite manufacturers.

I wont say to much about the Pilot Replica kit (the reason for its delay is my fault,) but having worked with them on it for some time now

I believe it will be truly the ducks guts

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers above. I have the FB.4 (and I will be making it with the canopy closed) so I assume some of those errors are not applicable to the single-seater.

Cheers

Jon

On 5/26/2017 at 5:58 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I still have it on preorder with Hannants. Presumably it will turn up at some point.

Hannants does not list any of the Pilot Replicas kits anymore, not even for pre-order.  Only the figures, trucks, and assorted accessories.

Spruebrothers still lists them as a manufacturer but the page is blank. I asked them why and they said "No Availability".

1 hour ago, dobk said:

Hannants does not list any of the Pilot Replicas kits anymore, not even for pre-order.  Only the figures, trucks, and assorted accessories.

Spruebrothers still lists them as a manufacturer but the page is blank. I asked them why and they said "No Availability".

I just checked, it's still on my backorder as temp unavailable.

12 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Biggest issue is the cockpit, the kit is supposed to be either a FAW.21, a 53 (my own WZ.897) or a FAW.22

Unfortunately due to appallingly sloppy research what you get in the box is pure FAW.20 which is a far different beast to

the later version both internally and externally.

You cannot build an accurate model from the box since the insides are wrong for the given versions and the outsides are wrong

for the inside bits.

Tail cone shape is way too fat, booms are short.

Wing fence's are off

Lots of little detail things that wont matter to most but annoy the snot out of me.

As I remarked earlier, I offered full access to CA of both our aircraft and library but for reasons known only to them

they were extremely rude and dismissive, not one of my favourite manufacturers.

I wont say to much about the Pilot Replica kit (the reason for its delay is my fault,) but having worked with them on it for some time now

I believe it will be truly the ducks guts

What !!!!!! there may be a kit become available YOU approve of !!!! ye gods Steve !!!! i'll believe that when i see it ( or read about it)

LOL

8 hours ago, Norman said:

What !!!!!! there may be a kit become available YOU approve of !!!! ye gods Steve !!!! i'll believe that when i see it ( or read about it)

LOL

Lots or kits I approve of.

I'm just a bit rabid on the ones of aircraft I've spent a bit of time on (37 years on deHavs finest)

• Like 1

On 27/05/2017 at 1:29 AM, Don McIntyre said:

If you do get the CA kit, do not use thin cyanoacrylate glue to attach the resin interior bits to the fuselage halves. The fuselage will just crumble... :swear:

Ohh yes, as I found to my cost!

I have the 1/48 CA venom fb.4, just acquired via eBay. A wonderful fellow (Viking) is sending me the Aeroclub clear vac canopy for the Vampire.  :like:

I also have the Alley Cat 1/48 Vampire mk 6 (Swiss) on order.  

I am eyeing the Sea Vampire prototype from CMR in 1/72. 

Does anybody know if CMR is/will re release some of the discontinued vampire/venom kits? 

Would love to have an NF-10 or NF-3...would not touch the cyber hobby kit with a 10 foot pole!:tmi:

Edited by Mike Esposito