Cosford Airshow 2017

cathasatail

*sigh* and so the CAA regulations kick in:

"

Statement from the RAF Cosford Air Show:

Due to recent changes in display flying regulations, the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, and the Royal Air Force Typhoon Display will both be performing their flying displays on an alternative display axis at the RAF Cosford Air Show on Sunday 11th June.

The Royal Air Force has concluded that the nature of the display sequences of both assets combined with restrictions on their Public Display Authorisations, requires their respective displays to be shifted to a new axis. The change in display axis for these two display items will enable them to both perform their full displays to the west of the airfield.

This alternative display axis requires a small section of the A464 to be closed to traffic between the hours of 1.45-2.45pm on Sunday 11th June. A diversion will be signposted.

The RAF Cosford Air Show is an exciting and educational family day out, with a vast assortment of world-class flying displays combined with award winning ground attractions.

"

Sam

18 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

With regard to the RAF statement, why then were the routines signed off in the first place knowing of the restrictions likely to be placed on them? At this rate it will be easier to get a good view of them from Worcester.

I know, regardless there's nothing that we as the public can do, sadly. :(

On a positive note, B52 flypast announced!

Edited by cathasatail

Well worth coming for a look/see - assume the B52 will have to transit across Albrighton at some stage though?  Might have a look from the bowling club - anyone know if this is still allowed to open up for the show?

I think the cricket club shuts down now due to it being under the display of some of the larger aeroplanes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Well worth coming for a look/see - assume the B52 will have to transit across Albrighton at some stage though?  Might have a look from the bowling club - anyone know if this is still allowed to open up for the show?

I think the cricket club shuts down now due to it being under the display of some of the larger aeroplanes.

Look out for this, as well: :P

kljlkjkljkl.png

• Like 1

B-52 was at last years Cosford Air show, but due to cancellations, it arrived 30 mins early.............plus, due to bad weather and low cloud it arrived 30 mins early and above cloud!!!!!  I hung around to see the B-52 when somebody relayed these facts to me........no mention on the tannoy system from the organizers about this minor point.............plus, well noted, an absence of many regular stall holders.............this year, I shall be giving it a miss 

B1 did a flyby in the rain, B52 did one at the same time as Sally B was displaying, :o , and for me the Italian Tonka stole the show by a country mile.

The closure of the A464 meant that the timing of the Typhoon display corresponded with low cloud and rain - it ran in, punched through the clouds in afterburner and departed....a shame as no doubt a lot of time and effort has gone into practice over Coningsby recently.

Nice to see the Whirlwind,  and the B17 looked great, hopefully we got a few pics despite the wind and cloud...

Whether it all fitted within CAA rules, I couldn't say.

Well that was jolly good: highlights for me included the B-52, B-1, Tornado, Red Arrows, Apache, Chinook and Typhoon (despite the single pass). All the other acts were quite nice and relatively close considering the new changes from the CAA.

Although the Red Arrows were positioned of to the right, it didn't change the viewing experience greatly as it still looked superb!

-As for photos, I was trialing my first DSLR ( :D ) got some moderately OK photos with my short lens (only got a blurry video of the B-1 but it still looks menacing!)

And finally, the traffic management was spot on; no major delays getting in or out at all.

Sam

I thought they announced that the Typhoon pilot had experienced a technical problem that prevented him from properly displaying.

For me the best display was the Italian Tornado, the B-52 flypast and the P-51.  Did he actually loop it? Whether he did or didn't, it was a much more energetic display than the other warbirds.

• Like 1