Hasegawa MFG1 F-104G, 1/48

Utterly fabulous F-104 and I especially like the 'Day-glo Orange' paint on the tanks which isn't easy to replicate in scale without looking too 'lurid'. What paint did you use?

Great model David!

Gary

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 6:00 PM, toniosky said:

Geez, perfect ! The best 104 I've ever seen !

If it was not for the background, some of your pics look like shots of the real thing.

Antoine

Cheers Antoine! I checked out your blog btw, the F-104 you are building looks fantastic, the cockpit and seat are perfect.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, Shaun said:

Outstanding model!, amazing detail and very nice painting...Like the touch up and faded paint areas...Is the underside silver or grey?, hard to tell just like the real aircraft...

Shaun.

Thank you Shaun, it did indeed start off a much more silver-grey rather than grey-silver, then after the weathering with oils and airbrush and final matt/satin varnish it luckily became this tricky to determine colour. From my experience when mixing the paint it is better to have it looking too aluminium/silver before all the weathering etc. otherwise in the end it could end up too grey.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

that is beautiful!

Cheers!

On 5/26/2017 at 6:14 PM, Starfighter said:

I have to say that is the most accurate model of an F-104G that I have ever seen ! The subtle weathering is spot on, especially the faded dayglo on the wing tanks, and if I didn't know i'd swear I was looking at pics of the real thing. You've made a "Zipper " fan very happy !  :cheers:    :goodjob:

Thank you Starfighter, glad you enjoyed the model! :)  It is not perfect for sure but the DACO book certainly made for a great reference to try and get things close to reality. 

On 5/26/2017 at 6:25 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

:wow:

Cheers Neil! :) 

On 5/26/2017 at 6:26 PM, jean said:

The Marineflieger had the best looking Starfighters. This one is a stunner!

Congrats

JR

On 5/26/2017 at 6:27 PM, fids said:

A thing of beauty, fantastic effort, fantastic.

Thank you JR and fids, glad you like it!

On 5/26/2017 at 7:19 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Beautifull, beautifull,beautifull,beautifull! :goodjob:

I still remember an early morning in a summerhouse on the shores of Flensburger Förde when my already heavy hangover was made even more explicit by the high pitched noise of a Marine F-104G flying low level above the waves! :winkgrin:

Cheers and thanks for the memories! :bye:

Hans J

Thank you Hans, lovely memory too, rather jealous (even with the hangover) as I never saw these in action! :) 

On 5/26/2017 at 7:40 PM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,David - In my opinion,this magnificent Starfighter is quite simply as close to reality and perfection as can be achieved.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thank you Paul for your comment, always far to kind, glad you enjoyed the pictures! ^_^

On 5/26/2017 at 7:46 PM, djos said:

Do not know what is better, model or pictures......fantastic work. Surface of the plane looks ...real.

Regards Djordje

On 5/26/2017 at 8:05 PM, baldwin8 said:

What an effort, nose to tail a real winner. The different effects of photography also look brilliant.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, basket said:

It looks like the real thing. Wonderful model ! Congrats to you.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, MikeR said:

Very sharp!:goodjob:

Mike.B)

On 5/26/2017 at 10:22 PM, Reini78 said:

top work, nice details :thumbsup:

Thank you Djordje, baldwin8, basket, MikeR and Reini78, much appreciated and happy you like it. 

23 hours ago, eng said:

#Best104ever! Jeez, that is awesome, what a stunner, incredible paint job there.

Gorgeous!

Eng

Thank you Eng, would have thought I'd bored you with Marine 104s now, glad you like the pics. :)

23 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Great build and possibly even better pics - both some thing to aspire to. Really like the last pic - could easily be Kodachrome,

22 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Ooooooh, I like that!

22 hours ago, Pinback said:

Nice one !

20 hours ago, aidy said:

That there is perfection! I've always liked the 104 in this scheme and you've done an amazing job capturing the look in scale. Perfect!

17 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Holly Crack a Molly!!! One of the finest model of F-104 I have seen in a while!!! super duper awesome!!!

17 hours ago, Screech said:

Looks like it just jumped right out of the time machine from the 80's!  That is gorgeous!

Jinxman, phildagreek, Pinback, aidy, tomthounaojam and Screech, thank you for the nice words!

17 hours ago, Troffa said:

That is an absolutely spectacular model, superb build, excellent paint finish,  realistic  weathering.

Awe inspiring.

Show stopper.

Cheers, Troffa.

Off to put his airbrush up for sale. :-)

Thank you Troffa, I have similar feelings with many of the fantastic builds on here!

15 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Really fine photography of a well made model.

13 hours ago, ModelMonkey said:

Gorgeous! Very well done - I've a Hasegawa one in the stash but struggling to find Luftwaffe decals without paying through the nose. If mine turns out half as good I'll be seriously chuffed! 😁

12 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

One Word....

MAGNIFICENT !

12 hours ago, Avgas said:

That is a superb paint job. Love it!

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

One of the best 104's I've seen built,first class job:worthy:

11 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

It doesn't get any better than that, brilliant build and presentation.

jeaton, Monkey, Tiger, Avgas, Steve, Farmer thank you for the kind words, happy you like it.

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

Accolades are truly deserved,not just a model, a scale replica,  really is beautifully done

Glynn

Cheers Glynn, if its half as good as your Yak I'm more than happy!

8 hours ago, Marv said:

Congratulations on an excellent build. The paint work is superb, and the added little touches really make this model a work-of-art...outstanding!

7 hours ago, Hamiltonian said:

That's a beautiful thing. I kept having to remind myself it was 1/48 scale.

Marv, Hamiltonain, thank you!

4 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Yeah. Just yeah.

:lol:

Jay

cheers Jay :winkgrin:

3 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Wow, that's a really good job!! Details, paint, pictures, everything is nearly perfect! :worthy:

:please: tell us more about the built and weathering.:beer:

Lolo

Thank you Lolo :) . I have linked the work in progress below that hopefully answers any questions and will explain things in more depth. Basically I spent a good deal of time shading and painting to look like what I saw in photographs, hopefully then it will look somewhat like reality. Instead of trying textbook ways of painting (like only pre-shading along panel lines) and following exact methods, I think if you make things simple and just try by any method you feel to copy what you see of the real subject, I guess hopefully you will be in the general ball park in the end. 

It also involved several layers of paint to get the correct colour to my eye (initially Xtracolor then over sprayed with Humbrol 89), for which some panel lines suffered a bit (the biggest flaw in the model imho) and each layer was shaded individually, I think this (completely unintentional) way of painting helped weather the surface too. 

3 hours ago, Jessica said:

Those are spectacular reference photos, but where's the model?

Thank you Jessica, glad you like it, high praise coming from your fantastic f-104 knowledge :) 

2 hours ago, redcap said:

Utterly fabulous F-104 and I especially like the 'Day-glo Orange' paint on the tanks which isn't easy to replicate in scale without looking too 'lurid'. What paint did you use?

Great model David!

Gary

Thank you Gary! Initially I used straight Xtracolor RAL2005 (the quoted paint) and I loved it but wow it is far too bright for a scale model, it nearly glows in the dark! So instead for a more scale appearance, after a base of white, used mixes of Revell enamel yellow, orange, red and some very thin layers of RAL2005 in places after to give one of the tanks a more dayglo appearance. Quite a lot of repeated attempts to get what I wanted and it helped having some pictures at hand to try and replicate the appearance. Then after decals some oils were used further to bleach and stain a few places, hopefully that makes sense!

1 hour ago, Snitok1983 said:

Very nice build! I have got a great plesuare to enjoy this work of art!

Thank you Snitok :)

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment/like and the very kind (too kind!) words, nice to see all these F-104 fans! 

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment/like and the very kind (too kind!) words, nice to see all these F-104 fans! 

David.

mirage iv ... possibly the record holder of "most quoted replies in a reply post". Unless someone else knows better ;)

Holy moly, it's a amazing the BM message board software didn't crash when you edited that lot! :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Cheers Antoine! I checked out your blog btw, the F-104 you are building looks fantastic, the cockpit and seat are perfect.

Thank you David.  So there are people actually looking at my blog :lol:

• Like 1

Hello Mirage,

Like mentioned above, just the background gives it away.

It looks exact like a replica of the real one.

Master-Modeler construction/finish. Photography excellent.

Highest Regards, Orion/The Netherlands.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, the MDman said:

That's absolutely one of the best 104's I've seen. Wonderful! 

13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

That's a bit good.:clap2::thumbsup2:

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

What's not to like .... beautifully built and a Starfighter!

Martin

MDman, Scarlet, Martin, thank you! 

11 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

mirage iv ... possibly the record holder of "most quoted replies in a reply post". Unless someone else knows better ;)

Holy moly, it's a amazing the BM message board software didn't crash when you edited that lot! :)

I had a similar feeling on the software Neil but gave it a go anyways so I didn't bump it a lot, seemed to work fine! :) 

11 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Simply stunning - love it!

Cracking photography too 

10 hours ago, batcode said:

great looking starfighter...

8 hours ago, NazarovVladimir said:

Sumptuously

Thank you Vultures, barcode, Nazarov!

3 hours ago, toniosky said:

Thank you David.  So there are people actually looking at my blog :lol:

Well I'll certainly keep an eye out from now on, hopefully you will share it on here when done?!

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I'll just re-iterate what's already been said above.

Thanks for showing is this

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Hello Mirage,

Like mentioned above, just the background gives it away.

It looks exact like a replica of the real one.

Master-Modeler construction/finish. Photography excellent.

Highest Regards, Orion/The Netherlands.

Scimitar and Orion, thank you, glad you like it. No master here though, got lucky with this one in that it looked something like I planned, which isn't usually the case! I mainly take the outside photographs because indoor photos never show what it looks like in real life, outside sure gets closer! 

Thank you for the nice words,

David.