I built what I thought to be one of my best yet, an Airfix 1/72 Hurricane, and was even prepared to show it on here.

A final coat of flat varnish and.....

It went into a flat spin as it left my fingers. 

Too low to recover,  it smashed into the ground (carpet actually) and bits scattered far and wide from what was the undercarriage.

Fatal?  Not quite.

Cry?  Nearly.

Swore?  Dearly........

Now once I can face it, I will send it back to the MU (workbench) and see if I can repair it......

Ho humm

• Like 2

I feel your pain. We have all been there as fumble fingers conspire to destroy months of work.  The worst incidence I ever had was in my office. I had a 1/24 Airfix Stuka on display in one of my bookshelves.  One of my clients allowed their monster child to climb the back of a chair, reach up to get the model and then let him throw it across the room to watch it "fly".  This happened a few years ago and I still can't bring myself to comely try to put my Humpty-Dunmpty Stuka back together. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

I feel your pain. We have all been there as fumble fingers conspire to destroy months of work.  The worst incidence I ever had was in my office. I had a 1/24 Airfix Stuka on display in one of my bookshelves.  One of my clients allowed their monster child to climb the back of a chair, reach up to get the model and then let him throw it across the room to watch it "fly".  This happened a few years ago and I still can't bring myself to comely try to put my Humpty-Dunmpty Stuka back together. 

Hi George,

my home is perfectly designed to deal with hooligans, young and old. There is a 70 feet (very) steep bank at the end of the front lawn, and at the bottom there is a pool where several king size crocodiles reside. This is one of the reasons I do not drink outside. But sadly, accidents do happen.

Had someone done that to my model, an accident may have happened. 

Can you still clip little monsters behind the ears in today's US of A?

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi George,

my home is perfectly designed to deal with hooligans, young and old. There is a 70 feet (very) steep bank at the end of the front lawn, and at the bottom there is a pool where several king size crocodiles reside. This is one of the reasons I do not drink outside. But sadly, accidents do happen.

Had someone done that to my model, an accident may have happened. 

Can you still clip little monsters behind the ears in today's US of A?

Cheers

JR

Sadly, all sorts of bad things will happen if you try to physically discipline a child these days. However, the cost of my retainer to provide services to these clients went up a couple of thousand dollars. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Now once I can face it, I will send it back to the MU (workbench) and see if I can repair it......

Ho humm

I believe I have an Airfix 1/72 hurricane in the stash if you need some replacement parts. 

2 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Sadly, all sorts of bad things will happen if you try to physically discipline a child these days. However, the cost of my retainer to provide services to these clients went up a couple of thousand dollars. 

Way to go re the retainer!

Africa is still a great place to discipline your kids, and thank god I don't have any..... and caning is still common practice in schools. All this makes for very well behaved and polite kids, mostly. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Not sure if a Like is appropriate.

Hopefully Chiefy will get her airborne again.

Pete

Understood.  Thanks.

17 hours ago, rio said:

If you need any undercarriage bits let me know.

Rio

Thanks for the offer.  I think I can fettle what's left into something that'll resemble an undercarriage.

Fat Fly Half

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spellin eror!

15 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I believe I have an Airfix 1/72 hurricane in the stash if you need some replacement parts. 

Thanks for the generous offer.  I think that I can make something from the wreckage.

Fat Fly Half

If the u/c is unfixable sounds like you've got the makings of a "wheels up landing" diorama.  Bit of gentle heat to bend1 the prop. blades back and sorted. ;)   Hope it's fixable thobbut.

1 - Mind you if you modelled a wooden bladed version it's going to be a wee bit more challenging modelling splintered prop. blades.

• Like 1

I've done something similar. 

Tripped over something, dropped a KP Yak-23 on the floor then landed on top of it...

a squished Yak-23 does not look pretty...

Yak-23-21

still got the wreckage, can't bear to throw it out just yet...

Edited by Ryan Hothersall
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

I've done something similar. 

Tripped over something, dropped a KP Yak-23 on the floor then landed on top of it...

a squished Yak-23 does not look pretty...

Yak-23-21

still got the wreckage, can't bear to throw it out just yet...

OOH!  Nasty.  It makes my Hurricane woes seem trivial.

This has happened to the best of us... and will happen again.

Ryan, chuck the wreckage. Very bad for the mojo.

JR