Here is my latest  foray into the world of Old Monogram. It is a 2007 boxing on the  F-101B Voodoo. This kit has long been on my list of 'wants' and  has been curiously hard to track down  so when Ian at Kits  for Cash had it  at the Southwell  show for a princely £9 I  bit his hand off. When I opened the box, not only were there two sets of canopies there were decals from two different boxings of the kit.

I had stocked up on a Master  brass probe, some Quickboost intakes and a gorgeous set of Caracal decals for a Four ANG machines prior to my purchase so they had to be used.

I decided early in the build not to re-scribe the panels lines just to knock back the raised lines with some light sanding to enhance the smooth and sleek lines of the original. This had worked well for my F-102.

IMGP6614_zpsdhxd01lz.jpg

Sadly after all the anticipation, I really didn't enjoy the build. I expected some fettling and filling but this had to be done in industrial proportions, the whole wing/fuselage/ missile bay  just fitted where it touched and I got fed up with the whole process. After languishing on the Shelf of Doom for a couple of months  I gave it another chance and this is what I came up with.

IMGP6613_zpspzto5ryh.jpg

O-70445 of the 179th FIS, Minnesota ANG. Both the kit and the Caracal decals were a joy to work with and even Photobucket has co-operated today.

IMGP6612_zpshplgaozo.jpg

I had planned to get another one to do as a Texas ANG bird but I doubt I'll bother, So on to the F-106....

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Kampartiger said:

Nice subject but i think you hv placed the front undercarriage at the wrong spot.

Oops. You are right  looks like I slide the bay in back to front. Too late to fix it now.

I love the old Monograms, pre C.A.D.  - pre everything, actually! They are easy builds, just a BIT of modelling required. They capture the look, the presence of those old jets. Just building a Tamiya Mosquito... "click", no glue , but the old Monograms are well worth the effort spent. And the raised panel lines are not wholly inappropriate, just knock them down with a bit of P800 paper before (or after) painting! Nicely done model, I'll put mine back on the shelf!!  :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RODH2 said:

I love the old Monograms, pre C.A.D.  - pre everything, actually! They are easy builds, just a BIT of modelling required. They capture the look, the presence of those old jets. Just building a Tamiya Mosquito... "click", no glue , but the old Monograms are well worth the effort spent. And the raised panel lines are not wholly inappropriate, just knock them down with a bit of P800 paper before (or after) painting! Nicely done model, I'll put mine back on the shelf!!  :lol:

Couldn't agree more, so far I've done  two F-80s, a Panther, 16 F-86Ds, 5 F-84E/Gs, a couple of F-84Fs and an F-102. All enjoyable but this one fought me all the way and seems to have had the last laugh...

2 minutes ago, camper1 said:

Another nice one Andy,should I question how much time you have?

Not as much as you Ian.

Hello,Andy - I'm pleased that you did persevere and that she didn't touch down on the shelf of doom.

You've made a beautiful job of your 'Voodoo' and she's a credit to you.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Most of the fit problems arise from the fact that the inlets are joined together, if you cut them apart it is easier to get everything to line up.  There are pictures of what I mean in my build log:

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/f101/1f101/1f101.htm

Ok,  That sounds logical, s o maybe I will try to get another one.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, Silver Fox said:

Oops. You are right  looks like I slide the bay in back to front. Too late to fix it now.

I'm sure you could.

The 'Doo had some great tails ....

All taken D-M - May 1979. My favourite last.

Martin

f101fcrop_zpsiqvrhdw8.jpg

f101dcrop_zpstskotsm0.jpg

f101bcrop_zpsw639kdxe.jpg

f101acrop_zpsqd9m7tpt.jpg

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1