Flying Bulls Cobra is kaputt! - new vid added

Reini78

After an airshow yesterday in Tyrol/Austria the pilot wanted to land and refuel. When the skids already touched the ground a sudden wind squall pushed the chopper towards a building. The rotor blades hit the building causing severe damage on the Cobra.
Luckily nobody was hurt. If the Cobra N11FX (fully restored by Chuck Aaron in 2002, bought by Red Bull in 2004) will be repaired isn´t sure yet. At least Red Bull could afford it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHCbGmsuX4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEvCGZ4TMY

http://www.krone.at/oesterreich/red-bull-hubschrauber-stuerzt-bei-landeanflug-ab-gebaeude-touchiert-story-571162

here´s a new video that was posted today on youtube, showing more of the accident

I  thought it was a "no no" to take a helicopter too close to any vertical surface, be it building or cliff face? Hope that I am wrong , but that looks like scrap to me. Perhaps they could donate the bits to the helicopter museum in Somerset, I understand that they can't get one.

On 2017-5-26 at 11:02 AM, noelh said:

Reminds me of the twit who tried to land a Gazelle next to a pub. Bet he needed a stiff drink after that!

Or the other idiot who tried to land at the Neptune Hotel Bettystown in his S-76 

• Like 2

Read in the newspaper today that the chopper will be repaired.

I bet the pilot bit his a$$ that such a mistake has happened to him. He´s an experienced pilot, one of two that were allowed to fly the Cobra. He flew rescue helicopters for 21 years, is a flight instructor and has won the helicopter aerobatics worldchampionship two times.

2 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Read in the newspaper today that the chopper will be repaired.

I bet the pilot bit his a$$ that such a mistake has happened to him. He´s an experienced pilot, one of two that were allowed to fly the Cobra. He flew rescue helicopters for 21 years, is a flight instructor and has won the helicopter aerobatics worldchampionship two times.

To quote Bill Bedford, former Chief Test Pilot, Hawker Aircraft:

"Even a monkey can fall out of a tree."

That's an expensive gust of wind :owww:  Good to hear that it's to be repaired.  Looks like it was in great condition beforehand :)

Oh dear. That's pretty much a total rebuild. The main rotor transmission was torn out of its mountings, and without those being in perfect condition a helicopter simply cannot fly. There's not going to be much left of the original helicopter if this one ever gets back into the air.

13 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Or the other idiot who DID land on the top level of a multi-story car park in Athlone town centre

AAIU report

Indeed to get a set of keys cut IIRC  or the clown who flew through Dublin CTA with no flight plan, Oh  the joys of the "Celtic Tiger"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Good grief, the person recording that video was very lucky not to be injured (or worse.)

I suspect there is a lesson there for anybody who likes to get as close they can to the action :think:.