Base for P-39

Crossiant Oliver

I recently tried out my first tricycle wheel model, an academy, p-39Q, and I tried putting enough weight in and it's now a tail sitter because I didn't put enough. I want to know what's the best solution of this, and if it's a base, what should I make it out of. Any suggestions are good.

-Oliver

Oliver,

You might try popping the spinner off and packing lead shot or BB's into it- admittedly that's a pretty small space; if that's not enough, and if you don't care if the prop doesn't rotate, you could ream out the opening at the front of the fuselage where the prop shaft attached and pack suitable weight through the opening. On a model with a tricycle undercart like the Airacobra, you can drill a small hole in the bottom of the nosewheel and insert a small length of wire or a pin, which can then be put into a hole in the base which will hold the model in the proper stance, but which will still allow it to be removed from the base. Easier still- if you can find a white metal prop the right shape and diameter, that should be enough to keep it from being a tail-sitter!

Mike

• Like 1

If you decide to try it again, scale Aircraft Conversions has a white metal set for the Academy kit that, besides the landing gear, also includes the cockpit floor which is supposed to give you enough weight not to be a tail sitter.

Later,

Dave

Hello, Oliver

For a base a piece of plank or plastic, picture frame etc. will do. If it is going to be concrete or tarmac, just paint it in suitable colour. To simulate dirt or grass you can use saw dust, previously thoroughly soaked in watered-down tempera paints. Mask edges of the base, cover it thinly with white glue, and gradually apply saw dust of various shades.

Base_zpspmh8o7zp.jpg

To support a tail sitter you can use accessories like barrels or crates. I vaguely remembers several photos of P-39s on New Guinea with their tails being supported by such means during maintenance. Even if your kit is all buttoned-up, two or three figures of mechanics with tool boxes will create an impression that the work is just about to begin. Cheers

Jure

Hi, Crossiant Oliver,

I am a reluctant base-maker, but this is what I saw from friends.

For the "soil" you could use many materials (powdered corn wheat, cookies crumbles, powdered cat litter, volcanic sand, etc.) following the procedure above by Jure. The grass can be got at the railway modelling section of a model shop (here in Germany it would be the best section in any one). For a concrete runway you could use cardboard, and "mark" the edges of the planks making pressure with a ball pen.

To avoid tail sitting just glue the front wheel to the base.

Fernando