Phillips Multiplane from "Those Magnificent men . . "

After looking at the wonderful Avro Biplane I thought I would show my own attempt at scratch-building.

Here is my attempt at the Phillips Multiplane - the Flying Venetian Blind, that crashes spectacularly in the film.

I did this several years ago, it is 1/72 scale and took quite a while to build as I had to produce over a metre of aerofoil 'wing' section from 4mm plastic strip.

I built a jig to hold it all in position while I attached the external braces/struts and then succeeded in gluing the whole lot to the jig!! Let's start again!

Another metre or so of sanding the strip and this time I was more careful and the results are here.

Fuselage built from 15thou sheet and the wheels are PE with slices of contrail tube for tyres, engine is a a few bits'n'bobs and the prop is scratched as well.

I was well pleased with how it turned out and I scored a third place in the Scratch Built Category at The Australian Model Expo competition 2007.

CIMG5515.jpg

CIMG5516.jpg

CIMG5517.jpg

The model has a 7cm wingspan, is 8cm long and 5cm high.

Cute init?

• Like 25

That's great!

How on earth was the pilot supposed to see anything :lol:?!

I want to watch the film again now.

You have great patience; the Venetian blind wings are lined up beautifully; it looks perfectly 'right'.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Bravo !  what an unique model and you have executed it to perfection :)

On 26/05/2017 at 7:30 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

How on earth was the pilot supposed to see anything :lol:?!

He just opened the blinds...!! :D

Some great scratchbuilt labours of love on here this week, and another cracking model from the dawn of aviation - wonderful stuff!

Keith