Aerodrome alumnae...?

John Masters

I am not sure if there is already a thread here, but are there any members who are/were members on the The Aerodrome forum?  I still am but got away from it when they stopped allowing models to be posted.

I had joined that forum about a dozen years ago.  Back then, just as today, I registered so I could ask specific questions - so not really a regular contributor.   Still a great place for researching, though some of my recent questions never did result in any responses, but views were in the hundreds.

regards,

Jack

I too joined, 10 years ago now, to ask questions that now go unanswered as Jack stated.  Like John, after the modeling threads were killed, I just go there infrequently.  I used to like the 'crash' thread too, but one snarky

bloke took the joy out of that for me....

Yep, I'm an ex-Aerodromer. Posted a series of articles on Methuen-RGB-commercial (Resene) paint matches, among others.

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 1

I used to be on Aerodrome as well, but I think every modeller who was on there have migrated to using the forum on WW1aircraftmodels.com

On 27/05/2017 at 6:41 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

I just checked that site.  It seems it is also dedicated to 1/32nd scale builds...

Not true. There is certainly a large number of 1/32 scale build threads but there are also many other scales represented too from 1/16 to 1/144. It also has sections of a wide variety of WW1 related topics, although naval is not represented.

P

It is interesting to see some of the same 'handles' here as on the Aerodrome site...the WW1 Modelling Forum too.  You all were so supportive of my early attempts to get back into the craft.  I missed that.  I can say that I have expanded beyond WW1, but still I try to keep my focus of the interesting and ground-breaking.

I do not, however, miss the Off-Topic thread that seemed to have little or nothing to do with aircraft or modelling and everything to do with political flaming.

• Like 1

i'm on there. signed up after the modeling section was closed. the impression i get is that it was closed because of bickering over PC-10. still a useful site, with a lot of genuine experts on there. 

Oh my...PC-10...it is always the little things.  And God help us concerning PC-12!  Arguing over quantities of lamp-black...

My oppression also was that the modelling thread was closed down because it became too professional and not as much a fun hobby.  I recall a certain modeller putting up incredible photo etch and resin work that seemed to all point to one manufacturer.  Maybe I am wrong--I often am!

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

My oppression also was that the modelling thread was closed down because it became too professional and not as much a fun hobby.  I recall a certain modeller putting up incredible photo etch and resin work that seemed to all point to one manufacturer.  Maybe I am wrong--I often am!

possibly, dunno. was before my time on there.

some of the PC-10 threads, while having some good information, got rather chippy. my goal when i mix some PC-10 is going to be to make something some will see as green and some will see as brown... 

Hi all,

I'm still there, not posting as much though.  Also the Great war Forum, Airfix Forum, UAMF, WW1aircraft models.com, and ATF.  More into WW1 than anything else, although anything else attracts me sometimes. BTW: when can we hope/expect to see a 1/48 RE-8 from somewhere? It's been a loooongwaite since aeroclub did one, I think.

Cheers

Bob 

Still a member there, and occasionally visit still.

The great modelling purge really ruined the place. There seemed to be an attitude there that 'we are researchers and historians, not mere modellers', and a complete blindness to the fact that it is modelers who are the predominant market for both the research and the history. Personalities entered into it as well. One older gentleman, an excellent modeller with an abiding interest in the Curtiss 'Jenny', seems to have gone a bit drifty and posted a great many threads more chatty than modeling, and a number of people got angry over it. Attempts to keep order got out of hand. This is just based on observation as it happened, mind, not inside information, but it is informed by having spent years as a moderator on a large political site --- policing is very much the same everywhere.

It always seemed to me a poorly run site in many ways. It was the only modeling/history site I ever saw that did not maintain a taboo on political comment and discussion. Its 'lounge' area was a vicious swamp in consequence. This frays any sense of community, and fosters hard feelings between regulars.

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

Yes... I remember you from the site as well.  I was always dismayed at the "off topic" thread.  I think that is what you are referring to as the "lounge."  

I recall your scratch built models were particularly well done.

I will always be indebted to those kind folks on the site who encouraged and guided me in my re-eemrgence as an adult modeller.  History, techniques, paints, hints and tips, etc...great support.

• 3 months later...

I joined briefly, but was put off by the bad "atmosphere" if you like. Too many "I'm right and you're wrong" posts. The "Great War in the Air" forum went the same way. Trolls posting all sorts of rubbish that they said they could prove but refused to because they " might publish it" or similar excuses. Then the modellers got kicked out and down went another useful forum....

Ian

If you think its bad try a certain forum where I was being b*ll*cked for punctuation mistakes, I'm not joking. He said foreigners wouldn't understand me ! I told him my arm was broken and can't use one of my hands,he gave me a few weeks and started on me again. In the end the pea brain used to edit my posts ! Tart! I gave him a broadside and told him to ram his forum. Another guy built the biggest dio of Waterloo, took up a hall ! Outstanding. He was new to the forum and Dutch and got a prompt rocket from pea brain to get it in the right forum/section.

Edited by bzn20

12 hours ago, Testerchild said:

Which site..go on, give us a clue...

Can't really but PM inbound,check your messages at the top right. I see you're a new member, not teaching you to suck eggs !

BTW welcome!

BZN20,

Not really new, just occasional posts. But thanks for the welcome anyway.

As to PM: my inbox shows no new messages, so it looks like it's lost.

Cheers

Bob