hurri op torch how to mark lines and panels

Davide Calzolari

2ypat6e.jpg

where i'd mark some line of weathering with darker colors or... or where i'd could enlight soem panel to enfatize deepness of perception?

the model shows obviously  the old 32 sc revell hurri modified by me in op torch N.A  MK II b (i shall scratchbuild the vokes filter that in the old box of MK I is  not included ),so being with raised scale rivets,,there are not engraved lines that i'd use as guides

any suggestions?

thnx in ad

davide form northrn italy

nb : i've to finish the smoke trail at the motorside,so as now is not completed :) 

I'm plotting a quick (by my standards) build of the old 1/72 Airfix Mk.I Spitfire. It has raised panel lines and I was going to try running an H4 pencil along the ridges and see how it turned out. Roundels etc on first, of course.

John.

• Like 1

Hi, italian intruder,

Do you mean panel lines, rivets and other recessed detail?

After the model is thoroughly gloss coated (in acrylic is safer), try run a wash made of a mild thinner (Humbrol works, turpentine would be another option) and Black or Raw Umber (a very dark brownish concoction) inside the lines, with a suitably fine-pointed brush. You can wipe out any excess with a q-tip or a wider brush just dampened in the thinner. On very light surfaces and only for panel lines, a soft pencil as described above is also doable.

Fernando

• Like 1

You could try an overall wash of burnt umber oil paint mixed with lighter fluid or other thinner. Wipe off once dry and then gently dry brush the raised areas with a lighter colour of the base shades.

• Like 1

Kits with raised panel lines may be tricky to weather according to the latest fashions, however there are some techniques that can be used.

For a starter, a lot depends on your tools: airbrush or not?

If you have an airbrush, you can start with a lighter version of the final paint (just add drops of white or light grey, if the colour changes too much you may need other colours to bring it back to the way it should look). On top of this you can spray thinned coats of the original colour, applying more along the panel lines or areas that may look darker for some reason (areas in shade, recesses etc). If you struggle with highly thinned paints, like I do, an alternative is to mix the paint to a clear one. In the end you'll have darker and lighter areas blending together.

To highlight the panel lines, you can use the dry-brush technique on the raised lines. It's not difficult but can be tiring, fortunately your kit doesn't seem to have too many panel lines.

If you only use brushes, then applying the lighter and darker areas can be more difficult. It can be done using again the drybrushing technique, alternatively you can use the techniques used by some figure painters, using highly thinned paint to apply many very light coats of paint of increasingly darker paint

24luhhj.jpg

24c87rs.jpg

giorgio ciao i've done some improving,with some "liquid brush", simpli a coat of very diluit orange shade on all the sup surfaces,the effect now seems to me more ok

obviously remain the problem of the area where to make some trace of more darker color,as seen the raised lines thre are not..aside the rivets,of course..

Edited by Davide Calzolari

• 2 weeks later...

Italian intruder, my friend,

If the pictures show the finished paintwork, I would respectfully suggest you should work to improve your painting technique before even start thinking about panel lines or even weathering.

You obviously paint with a handbrush. I would try to get more flowing lines; Brit planes were painted with masks, so hard edges will look correct. When possible, paint with strokes in the direction of the airflow, or up/down (in the fuselage, for instance) For the exhaust stains, I would try powdered dark pastels applied with a brush, instead of straight paint. The same powdered pastels, could be used for dark spills or shades; in light grey or sand colors, could be used to weather or fade the paint to an extent.

Hope you take this as "an extremely good-intentioned advise".

Regards,

FErnando