Scratch built Avro Type D biplane 1/72

34709993322_e12efea76d_c.jpg

In the mid/late 1960's Inpact produced kits of 6 pre-WW1 aircraft in 1/48 scale which had been constructed for the film "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines": I bought and built all of them. My favourite was the Avro Biplane which I found the most aesthetically pleasing although I do not know why. The kits have since been re-released under different labels and I understand can still be found with a bit of patience. Nowadays I only build in the Gentlemen's scale because I do not have too much space, so if I wanted a model of one of these machines the only option open to me was to build one myself. I had the original instruction sheet but this did not have drawings, so a trawl of the net was needed. I also found several photos which were very helpful including one of Roe standing by one of these machines at Shoreham.

34709997462_702fc215ae_c.jpg

34709984152_61199e797b_c.jpg

In 1911 A. V. Roe abandoned his earlier triplane design and instead started to build a biplane, the first of which flew for the first time on 1 April of that year. This was a two seat aircraft with a 35hp Green engine and a triangular tail, but the latter was quickly replaced with a square unit. The remainder of the machine was built following the same techniques as the earlier triplanes with a triangular shaped fuselage with only the front covered in fabric, and the radiator mounted in front of the pilot and obscuring his view rather badly. Wing warping was used to control the aircraft which was relatively stable and easy to fly.

34709979512_496d2e0ee7_c.jpg

34709989902_11f437eccf_c.jpg

The first of these aircraft  took part in the Brooklands - Shoreham air race of 6 May 1911. In June naval Commander Schwann bought it and had it transported to Barrow-in-Furness where he had the wheels removed and the skids mounted on floats. Following a series of trials on different designs of floats the aircraft unexpectedly lifted off the water to make the first take off from sea-water of any aircraft in Britain.

34710007192_4da5f6388a_c.jpg

34709986772_0d0fb51e4b_c.jpg

Five other machines were built in late 1911 and early 1912 with small variations in the basic design, including sesquiplane wings, different engines and repositioning of the radiator to improve the view of the pilot. The sixth was a single seater. It is not known exactly how many type D biplanes were built at A. V. Roe's works at Manchester, but the second and two others were used in 1913 at the Avro Flying School at Shoreham. The records indicate that these were scrapped in early 1914.

34710000992_d30a1bbdce_c.jpg

34709976212_7510b3db3d_c.jpg

This was Roe's first successful design which gave him and his team invaluable data on flying characteristics of aircraft. This experience was used in later designs which ultimately resulted in the type 504: the rest, as they say, was history.

34709972912_061618827f_c.jpg

34833744456_861f7303d1_c.jpg

The model was entirely sctatch built from card, Evergreen strip, rod, stretched sprue, clear acetate and rigged with rolled copper wire. The span is approximately 5 inches (12cm).

34710012662_9c0165954a_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 25

Now I really like that, Pheonix - wonderful model of a great looking pre WW1 aeroplane.  How about building the Avro triplane next - I would love to see what you could do on that one.

Regards

Dave

That's absolutely lovely :heart: 

The rigging is amazing (as is everything else)!

I remember the film, it was really quite funny and eccentric.

Will you be building any more of the aircraft from the movie in 1/72?

'Works in progress' would be amazing.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thank you everyone for the very kind remarks.

TonyTiger: There is a build log on Airfix Tribute forum: scratch builds if you are interested.

Epeeman: I have considered the Avro triplane but have not got around to it yet. I would also need some plans and am not sure (ie have not looked) of what is available.