AW-101 Merlin HM.1 - which of these is the correct fuselage length?

bootneck

I am currently building the Airfix 1:350 kit HMS Illustrious and have both Airfix and Trumpeter 1:350 Merlin HM.1 helicopters for this.  I've noticed that there is a 10mm difference in fuselage length between the Airfix and Trumpeter kits, so I went online and searched for the correct fuselage length.  This is where it gets confusing for me, in that Wikipedia says the fuselage length is 64.1 ft/19.53m (the Airfix version fits this at 55.8mm); however, the Leonardo site states the length is 74.9 ft/22.81m (the Trumpeter version fits this at 65.5mm).

Can anyone here please confirm the correct fuselage length for this helo?  A difference of 10mm at 1:350 scale is quite noticeable.

Mike

Good day Mike! I have looked at the EH101 (CH149) Cormorant which is basically equivalent to MK3 fuselage. The actual fuselage length is 63ft 4" and that is from nose to tail tip. If you also include the disc areas of the tail rotor and main rotor it gives a length of 74ft 8". So in short if you don't have the rotors fitted it would be 64ft thereby the airfix one would be more accurate in length. I would post a picture but alas I would probably get hung for it :D.

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks Bob.

That's a pity in a way, as I prefer the Trumpeter casting for detail; especially as I have two boxes of them (12 models).

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I would like to do that but I'd need to identify where the cuts could be made to ensure the shape remains correct. 

1cm is a fair chunk to remove from a 6.5cm fuselage.

merlin_comparison_3.jpg

The trumpeter one looks to be in the right proportions so to shorten would be a large undertaking, would the trumpeter one look badly out of place if you just used that? I mean we wouldn't have more than 12 merlins on deck anyway, so if they looked right, apply a bit of good Ole 'artistic license' :D

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines.  A couple on the flight line and a couple more in the green.  Unless I do a Procedure Alpha!! :frantic:  I've also got a Trumpeter Type 23 to do and it's got me wondering if the Merlin size is going to be more obvious on that, especially with the over-hang.