Tim's Car Door Typhoon -- COMPLETED

Joining you with this Novo Typhoon of the car-door type.

Novo_CarDoor_Typhoon_Box.jpg

Cost me 2.50 last year -  a fortuitous acquisition from a colleague who picks up house clearance stuff.

I get offered some model kits, at cost.

Anyway, here are the parts.

Novo_CarDoor_Typhoon_Parts_zpsjpmhszmb.j

And after a bit of interior painting.

Novo_CarDoor_Typhoon_Painted_zpscfupnbah 

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Completed
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll be keen to see this come to life Tim. As I understand it, the ex Frog Car door Typhoon is a much better kit than the bubble top version.

Steve,

Steve the car door kit (F231) is late Frog, mid '70s whereas the old bubble top (kit 389P) is a much earlier effort,

c.1959.

The late James Goulding liked the later kit very much in his Aircraft Illustrated review. I rated his reviews highly and his one criticism was that the wing seemed at slightly less incidence to the fuselage than required and proceeded to tell us how to correct it. Nowadays, that sort of critique would kill a kit stone dead but in those days, the car door was a real departure from the norm and came at a good time to compliment the others. My memory is that all there was available was the ancient Frog kit mentioned above and the equally prehistoric Airfix 1B from the same era. This last only very recently replaced by the new tool kit. There was of course the 1/96 scale Eagle Typhoon kit, gone and forgotten by the 1970s. Anyone remember those?

Nige B

• Like 1

Comparison with the ancient Airfix kit? Well here's mine - originally built about 1988

Airfix_Typhoon_zps5wpslbml.jpg

Repainted, and self-converted to car-door about 2014.

DayyyCarDoorTyphoon%20003_zpsxe9zslgl.jp

Attacking a rail-head at Jet Age

CDTyphoon%20003_zpsh2m8jqvt.jpg

Similar (3 blade prop) my Academy Typhoon.

Academy_Typhoon2_zpsrghbjwcm.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Comparison with the ancient Airfix kit? Well here's mine - originally built about 1988

Good builds there. Just to clarify, in case my  comment was misread, the original Typhoon was released in 1959 and for that reason was 'ancient'. In it's favour, it was a good shape and of course it lasted well into the second decade of the 21st century. Not bad going for a kit which started it's life hanging up in Woolies for 2/- (10 new Pence).

The Academy kit, also shown above)  was quite recent by comparison.

The canopy from the Airfix Typhoon was also recommended by Chris Ellis in his 1970 book as a way of producing a bubble canopy Spitfire from the Airfix Mk.IX (JE-J), a conversion which worked well at a time where bubble canopied model Spits were very unusual and not a little esoteric on a display shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

That camouflage looks great :thumbsup: !

Could I ask; what did you use to stick the camouflage masks on? It has worked really well and hasn't left any marks on the grey.

I have this kit in the stash but I'm missing one wing top half :(. One day I'll work out what to do..I refuse to throw it in the bin, just too nice.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Best regards
TonyT

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That camouflage looks great :thumbsup: !

Could I ask; what did you use to stick the camouflage masks on? It has worked really well and hasn't left any marks on the grey.

I have this kit in the stash but I'm missing one wing top half :(. One day I'll work out what to do..I refuse to throw it in the bin, just too nice.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Thanks for compliments.

The plans were stuck on with PowerTac, a cheap version on BluTac from Pound shops.  It did take a bit of removing though.

I couldn't get it to work as sausages to define the camp pattern, so won't be buying it again.

Can't help with that missing wing part.  That really compromises the kit.

• Like 1

Pity about the cannon, looking good otherwise. I find hands & knees & a torch shone along the carpet to cast a shadow on anything there has cheated the carpet monster of its prey on more than one occasion. Good luck.

Steve.

Typhoon stripes, and undercarriage.

Novo_Typhoon_zpsrvxow6i1.jpg

The stripes are decal. Photos show them as much more profession application than D Day stripes.

Prop fitted.

Novo_Typhoon_P_zpszvs5ax8h.jpg

And from the otherwise.

Novo_Typhoon_S_zpsywdjx6wh.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Sadly Photobucket has decided to cease 3rd party hosting, rendering this and most of my other GBs pretty useless.

I'll find a new host for gallery photos on completion,

but I'm unlikely to migrate all the build photos.

Fitted Airfix rails last night, and I've just painted the rockets.