Airfix Douglas DC-9-30s in 1/144

Some more airliners came off my busy production line last week.

The old but very nice Airfix DC-9s.

Despite its age,it is very well detailed,with good fit (except the doors) and the shape is pretty well captured by Airfix.

I rescribed the flaps and panels on the wings as they were just raised lines on the kit,otherwise it was a straight OOB build.

The "Fly",AZmodel,Karaya...or whatever the other DC-9 kit is coming from, has recessed panellines and other nice touches,but I find the Airfix kit still a nice replica of this classic and a re-release would be highly anticipated. 

Anyone from Airfix reading this...?? :poke:

I worked on those 3 DC-9s at the same time,so they got finished almost on the same day as well.

The KLM and IBERIA DC-9s,the decals came from the respective kits.

The windows and details are from the superb Flying Colors MD-80 detail set.

For the Aeropostal Avensa DC-9,I used the decal set from Classic Airlines courtesy of Nick Webb.

The quality is superb,very thin decals but great to handle.The only small issue was that the cheatline and the tail part is slightly too long.This required some cutting and adjusting.Otherwise the decals fit perfect.

I very much enjoyed building these 3 classic Douglas airliners and they will receive a nice spot in my vitrine.

Hope you like them

20170524_184739_zpsxd9r3obi.jpg

20170524_184756_zpslj9jk9be.jpg

20170524_184804_zps84wn9w9m.jpg

20170524_184821_zpssfodit0d.jpg

20170524_184837_zpsc945fmli.jpg

20170524_184911_zpsnocpnrju.jpg

20170524_184924_zpslxsoxnkw.jpg

20170524_184941_zpsx0tjntwo.jpg

20170524_184959_zpsowqm5wus.jpg

20170524_185010_zpsokbecqnr.jpg

20170524_185030_zpsquzaxojz.jpg

20170524_185030_zpsquzaxojz.jpg

20170524_185049_zps5p8bkbwh.jpg

20170524_185120_zpspgrln4hq.jpg

20170524_185154_zps0jntpkc3.jpg

And a DC-9-30 group shot

20170524_185256_zpsfvovmtmj.jpg

• Like 19

Hi Alex,

Classic Douglas airliners indeed and finished to your usual high standard! The two Europeans featured very prominently in my plane spotting past and are therefore definitely on my to do list.

I'm amazed you were able to use the kit decals, weren't they yellowed beyond use? They must be decades old! Still at least you didn't have to raid the stash!!

Which paint did you use for the engines on the KLM? It's nice and shiny.

I keep hearing very good things about Nick's decals, I've got a couple of his sheets but haven't used them yet.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

Classic Douglas airliners indeed and finished to your usual high standard! The two Europeans featured very prominently in my plane spotting past and are therefore definitely on my to do list.

I'm amazed you were able to use the kit decals, weren't they yellowed beyond use? They must be decades old! Still at least you didn't have to raid the stash!!

Which paint did you use for the engines on the KLM? It's nice and shiny.

I keep hearing very good things about Nick's decals, I've got a couple of his sheets but haven't used them yet.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian.

I had multiple decal sheets for those DC-9s,so I picked those who were in best condition.The KLM decals were as good as new,as you can see,and the IBERIA set was also still in very good condition.For parts that weren't perfect,I took from the other sheet and so on,until everything was to my satisfaction.Some left over parts were then used to cover up some blemishes.

The engines on the KLM and the Aeropostal Avensa DC-9 were painted with Testors silver,upfront primed with gloss black.

Cheers,

Alex

Gosh, three for the price of one!  What a lovely trio. :goodjob:

My one and only attempt to build the "other" DC-9 (in one of Ray Charles's boxings) did not endear that kit to me.  Among other problems it has MD-80 sized wheels and there was something weird about the location of the engines which I never properly worked out.  Personally I much prefer the Airfix kit and having seen your excellent models I'm definitely tempted to dig one out of my stash.

• Like 1

Some really nice airliners on display within these pages Alex and I have to say that these are some of the nicest.

Love the old KLM machine but all are equally good.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

• Like 1

Some nice classics there Alex, wish i still had some of these left in the cupboard.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

I'm glad I found this after looking at your KLM Airbus Alex.

A trio of my favourite airliner :).

Gorgeous work on all three. I really like the KLM a lot. Do the window transfers go over the original cheat line transfer?

I really didn't want to use the little punch 'peg' that is with the kit; it's never going to work :(.

Great stuff!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you TonyT

Yes,the window decals go over the original transfer without problems.

The MD-80 detail set is very nice and the quality is great