Airbus A310-200 KLM 1/144 Revell kit

Revell's Airbus A310 kit is well over 30 years old but nonetheless its a nice kit and quite easy to build.

Unfortunately the kit is now very rare and the price tags are high nowadays.

I was lucky to find this one for a reasonable price on a Swiss auction platform.

I already built 3 of them about 2 years ago but I allways wanted one in KLM colors.This kit was the Swissair release,so the whole paintjob had to be done by hand using the good old airbrush.

The decals are a mishmash and stash-bash...if this can be called this way ;)...

The KLM logo for the tail was taken from a Airfix DC-10 decal set,the small KLM logos and the "Royal Dutch Airlines" are from a Revell 767 set,doors come from an Airfix A300 and the registration was build up using parts from the KLM 767 kit and from the British Airways 767 Revell kit.

The cockpit window is from a left over Authentic Airlines set,cabin windows are from the Revell A330 and the coroguard panels and details from the PAS Decals A310 detail set.

Paints are a mix of Revell,Humbrol and Testors enamels.

The build was straight forward,the only thing I corrected was the nose and shape of the cockpit area.Revell did not get the look right there.

With some filler and sanding it was an easy fix.

I am very pleased with the outcome,altough I never used so many different decals for one project before.

Hope you like it,

20170524_185446_zpsz4qcc5fa.jpg

20170524_185433_zps1i33hhjm.jpg

20170524_185359_zpsi0u0xscm.jpg

20170524_185350_zpskijiwkrq.jpg

20170524_185336_zps0rhk6g0u.jpg

And with "something else" KLMs other type for its extensive european network during the early 70s and 80s

20170524_185514_zpscxotbaap.jpg

• Like 21

Very nice as usual Alex.  Apart from the nose shape it really isn't a bad kit and you've made a lovely model out of it.

It's just a pity the cats don't seem to have been interested in this one ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice as usual Alex.  Apart from the nose shape it really isn't a bad kit and you've made a lovely model out of it.

It's just a pity the cats don't seem to have been interested in this one ...

Thank you very much.

Yes,sorry about the missing cats,they were busy with dinner and since I have the new balcony with its metal framing they cant sit on top to observe as they did before.And my table is a bit small for the models AND the cats^_^.

I will try to include them on my forthcoming projects

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

This is right up my street, one I'd like to do myself sometime. You've made a great job of it, beautifully smooth finish and a much improved nose. 

Very ingenious raiding of the decal stash, are there really no KLM A310 decals out there?!

Which paint did you use for the blue? Looks spot on to me.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

This is right up my street, one I'd like to do myself sometime. You've made a great job of it, beautifully smooth finish and a much improved nose. 

Very ingenious raiding of the decal stash, are there really no KLM A310 decals out there?!

Which paint did you use for the blue? Looks spot on to me.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian.

As far as I know,there are no KLM decals for the A310 available,well at least I didn't find one.And the original Revell KLM A310 boxing is very expensive on Ebay.Last I saw was around EUR.90.- Thats why I decided to raid my decal stash to complete this project.

Paints I used are Revell 50,I guess its called Sky Blue,for the roof.Itsa bit dark ,so adding a few drops white will do the trick.

For the darker cheatline I used Humbrol 15 and for the grey areas Revell 374.

Hope this helps

Thanks Alex, I will probably paint the cheatlines on an AA DC-9 which I have nearly ready for painting and will definitely be using your recommended Humbrol 15. I already have plenty of xtracolor KLM light blue but it's worth bearing the Revell 50 in mind just in case.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Another lovely job you have done there Alex, really nice                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Wow! That is very nice! For a mash up of decals you have made it look very convincing, looking at the pictures I would have thought that it was from an A310 decal sheet. 

You've done a grand job there, ever thought about making it a bit grubby? (Not a critizism at all by the way, just a pure question, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Soloturk said:

Wow! That is very nice! For a mash up of decals you have made it look very convincing, looking at the pictures I would have thought that it was from an A310 decal sheet. 

You've done a grand job there, ever thought about making it a bit grubby? (Not a critizism at all by the way, just a pure question, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to)

Thank you very much.

On these builds I decided to leave them clean in new condition.

I do not weathering all my airliners anyway,just sometimes.

As for the A310,the pics I used to build this particular aircraft,the Airbus looked pretty clean,so I decided to do my model the same way

This is a lovely model. I have a real weakness for this particular colour scheme.

I think it's because as a young boy I always wanted the Airfix DC10: I loved that KLM blue on the stunning box art. A BM friend has since given me one :).

Good advice on the paint. I'm not able to get Xtracolour enamels here in Australia so I'll try the Revell recipe :thumbsup2: 

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mitchem said:

It's a winner Alex (even without the cats) !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I've always liked KLM's colour scheme and you've nailed it twice.

Best Regards

mike

Thank you Mike.

Sorry for the missing cats.I hope to include them again in my forthcoming builds

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you Mike.

Sorry for the missing cats.I hope to include them again in my forthcoming builds

Cheers Alex.

I'd give you two thumbs up if your next RFI is Nature's 1:1 scale Felis Domesticus, but I then I'd also start thinking that I've lost my marbles !

:D

• Like 1