Starting a new topic.

This is specifically aimed at the WIP topics. Is it possible to start a topic, or even do an update to it, but not finish it in one go. ie; is it possible to save what you've typed/uploaded and then come back to it later. For instance, you've spent a lot of time typing the text, uploaded photos and then before you can finish, something needs your attention elsewhere and you have to shut down and you have to start again. Sorry if I'm asking the "bl**ding obvious", but it has happened to me more than once.

John.

John, I tend to do it the other way 'round. If I know my post is going to be more than a few lines, I'll bung it out in a word processing program, then paste it in and add/link the pictures. Seems to save time --and-- make it easier to proofread for typos, etc.

Of course you can always hit 'edit' and go back in to finish or expand a previous entry.

Cheers

Edited by thorfinn
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I'd never considered doing it that way as I assumed that copying and pasting would have the same effect as uploading photos from you own computer. Obviously it's the text that's the problem as if you loose it, you've got to start all over again. Photos aren't a problem as they can just be uploaded from the hosting site. But once again, thanks. I'll give that a try.

John.

on keyboard the button Ctrl = Control

if you press Ctrl AND C (Ctrl+C)  at the same time.   It copies what you have selected

crtl+A =  highlight everything

Ctrl+C = copy

Ctrl+V = Paste

and the one that should be taught first Ctrl+Z, reverses last action....

have a read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

there are a load I never use....

HTH

By pressing ctrl C, you'll be able to copy your work in the Window's clipboard, in fact the computer's memory (I assume you've WIndows as an OS).

Make this text, for exemple with your next post.

- Click on "Reply to this topic"

- Write what you want to, post some pics, organise your text.

- When you want to leave, press CTRL  A (Control & A) together. This will highlight what you're writting.

- Then press either CTRL X or CTRL C. Both will memorize what you've just highlighted by CTRL A, the difference being that CTRL X will cut your text instead of copy. Result will be the same, the text will be memorized.

- Open Word with a brand new page.

- Type CTRL V, and your text will be copied on the document. You're done.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

on keyboard the button Ctrl = Control

if you press Ctrl AND C (Ctrl+C)  at the same time.   It copies what you have selected

crtl+A =  highlight everything

Ctrl+C = copy

Ctrl+V = Paste

and the one that should be taught first Ctrl+Z, reverses last action....

have a read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

there are a load I never use....

HTH

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

This way your text is already adapted to the forum, and you won't need to search again for the pics URL.

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

By pressing ctrl C, you'll be able to copy your work in the Window's clipboard, in fact the computer's memory (I assume you've WIndows as an OS).

Make this text, for exemple with your next post.

- Click on "Reply to this topic"

- Write what you want to, post some pics, organise your text.

- When you want to leave, press CTRL  A (Control & A) together. This will highlight what you're writting.

- Then press either CTRL X or CTRL C. Both will memorize what you've just highlighted by CTRL A, the difference being that CTRL X will cut your text instead of copy. Result will be the same, the text will be memorized.

- Open Word with a brand new page.

- Type CTRL V, and your text will be copied on the document. You're done.

Thanks very much for the relies. It's a real bu**er being computer illiterate, but an old git who's computer illiterate is even worse!!

I'll certainly try this out later on.

Thanks again.

John.

At the risk of stating the obvious, remember that the contents of the clipboard won't be saved when the PC is turned off. So make sure you save it in 'Word' or wherever first.

• Like 1

That should do you John - I write most of my reviews (which are usually quite long compared to normal posts) in Word, then copy & paste them into the forum software and click "remove formatting" when prompted (blackish bar at the bottom when you paste).  Then I'll add any appropriate formatting, pics and so forth, previewing it with the little icon that looks like a magnifying glass on a document (right side of the posting toolbar) until I'm happy. :)

The forum software can save your unfinished posts as an automatic feature, but I wouldn't rely on it in case it doesn't work that one time, and you're left having to type it all out again :owww:

• Like 2

Thanks Mike,

I suppose the answer was there all of the time, it's just as I said, I made the assumption (wrongly) that because you couldn't copy and paste photos into a post, the same applied to text. So next time that I'm half way through typing a topic and SWMBO wants me to paint the outside of the house or clear the swimming pool of piranhas, I'll just click save and come back to it later.

Many thanks.

John.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I made the assumption (wrongly) that because you couldn't copy and paste photos into a post

As a matter of fact, you can. The forum software will recognize the url and show it as a pic.

You can even drag & drop a pic.

Confirmed this with the picture down here.

meetin11.jpg

• Like 1

You know what, I didn't actually know you could drag and drop a pic into the forum from the web.  There you go... we've all learned summit today :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...