What is the best for 1/48 FW 190-A8 and Hellcat?

Harrier/ViperFan

I was looking at getting a Hellcat and a FW 190 A8 what are the best options in 1/48? 

For the Hellcat I can't make my mind up between a FAA or USN. But as most of my WW2 collection is both German and British I am leaning towards the FAA

I saw that you can get the Eduard Hellcat for as little as £12 but I am not sure on this kit. 

The Eduard kit is decent and good value. I've no accuracy complaints with it. The -3 engine cowling takes a bit of fettling to fit properly but otherwise save a bit of parts cleanup it goes together well.

The Hasegawa kit is also nice and builds very well too.

For £12 though I'd go Eduard.

41 minutes ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

I was looking at getting a Hellcat and a FW 190 A8 what are the best options in 1/48? 

For the Hellcat I can't make my mind up between a FAA or USN. But as most of my WW2 collection is both German and British I am leaning towards the FAA

I saw that you can get the Eduard Hellcat for as little as £12 but I am not sure on this kit. 

You can get weekend boxings for less than £12

Keep an eye  out for the FAA Hellcat dual combo

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/eduard_kits_148_hellcat_mkii_dual_combo_2_kits-p-35497.html

They have been about for  for £15-20 at times.

Avoid the Hobbyboss Hellcat,  the canopy is approx 1/32nd....

there are comparison here of Hobby Boss, Eduard and Hasegawa

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hobby_Boss/HB_F6F-3_Hellcat_48/HB_Grumman_F6F-3.html

The  Hase  Hellcat is  overall decent

Fw 190 A8 in 1/48th?

see here

One point "best" kit is a little vague,  the Hobby Boss Hellcat is a very good kit,  but  not an accurate one.    

One use for  the Hobbyboss Hellcat  is as a cheap wingfold kit,  

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/us/tmcf6f.htm

the Eduard Hellcat nightfighter profipack has both  F6F-3 and -5 fuselages,  

see here as well

I  digress.... 

HTH

T

• Like 1

I'd recommend the Eduard Hellcat without reservation. I've built one, thoroughly enjoyed it, and plan to build at least another.

Hasegawa would be my choice for a Fw 190 A-8. It pretty much equals the level of detail found in the Trimaster/DML/Italeri line, but is easier to build. Unless you want to build it with everything opened up, the Eduard 190 kits are really fiddly, although the detail is good. They all suffer from rather obviously too thick vertical stabilizers and arguably narrow cowling diameter. Word is that Eduard is retooling the series, so it might be worth waiting to see what transpires. I have no idea of the timetable or what Eduard plans to revise, although I have read that there will be fewer open panels. Others may know more.

I would vote solidly for the Eduard Hellcat, and Hasegawa Fw 190A-8.

But for what it's worth, the Tamiya 190 is also very good, and a supremely easy build. The wheels are a bit undersized, but they did IMHO the best job capturing the elusive shape of the nose gun cover, and the kit has been released both as an A-8 and F-8.

4 hours ago, MDriskill said:

I would vote solidly for the Eduard Hellcat, and Hasegawa Fw 190A-8.

But for what it's worth, the Tamiya 190 is also very good, and a supremely easy build. The wheels are a bit undersized, but they did IMHO the best job capturing the elusive shape of the nose gun cover, and the kit has been released both as an A-8 and F-8.

Agreed on the Tamiya 190. I did an F-8 a couple of years ago and loved it. Definitely needs replacement wheels.

Hi, everyone,

Eduard Hellcat, without reservations.

Hasegawa 190A-8 or even Tamiya A-8/R2 or F-8. That said, I would mention Eduard or an original Trimaster as valid options.

Fernando

Thanks guys, sorry for delay in replying. I decided to order the Eduard Hellcat MK.I/II dual combo as for the 190, not sure what to do I having problems locating Hase kit, Found the Tamiya A-8/R-2 but that's more expensive than the Eduard re-release Weekend Edition. I don't normally have WW2 planes open as you don't see much, so all the bits that's included in the standard kit would be completely wasted. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add to the chorus of recommendations for the Eduard Hellcat having built the 1/48 Dual Combo which came with photoetch and masks for well under £20. The kits pretty much fell together and from my limited research certainly appear to be accurate. Conveniently they do a FAA Dual Combo allowing you to build both Mk I and Mk II.

DC

Just to throw a feline amongst the roof rats I quite like tho old

Otaki Hellcat.

With a replacement office and engine it scrubs up quite nicely.