P-47D Thunderbolt ; 1/72 Tamiya

Hello folks , this is the excellent 72nd scale kit from tamiya that kind of falls together when you are taking the sprue out of the box :)   ; the model is built completely out of box as "Little chief" , the airplane of Lieutenant Frank W. Klibbe who I believe was credited with 7 kills .  About 80% of the total time taken was spent on painting and weathering and I am personally quite glad with how it came out . 

DB811DEE-01C9-4762-BF2D-CA3609340147_zps

3E646194-C50C-410D-8079-8DE33FBD229B_zps

45109DCA-7E3A-4BE8-8910-8B5C176F46C0_zps

AD0EDD85-10C5-46AE-B2E8-B5DA05F14B24_zps

E60F00A0-658D-408D-83AC-961D9D9D593E_zps

Regard ,
Basu Roy 

• Like 41

9 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Hello folks , this is the excellent 72nd scale kit from tamiya that kind of falls together when you are taking the sprue out of the box :)   ; the model is built completely out of box as "Little chief" , the airplane of Lieutenant Frank W. Klibbe who I believe was credited with 7 kills .  About 80% of the total time taken was spent on painting and weathering and I am personally quite glad with how it came out . 

Hi Basuroy,

Lovely work on you Thunderbolt. I also really like the finish you've achieved. I just did one of the Tamiya 1/72 Bubbletop Jugs, and also thought it a great kit (apart from the harness decals).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Nice build but Klibbe never had rockets fitted to that aircraft. Some of the 56 th's bubbletops used them on one or two missions post D-day but stopped as they didn't like them. None of the 56th's aircraft used rockets prior to D-day, which is when this is depicted.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Cheers everyone , really appreciate the kind words :)

@mikemx ; oh I didn't know that though I did suspect I was going  overboard with the loadout . Anyways I will let them hang around as they look nice even if not authentic . 

14 minutes ago, Basuroy said:

Cheers everyone , really appreciate the kind words :)

@mikemx ; oh I didn't know that though I did suspect I was going  overboard with the loadout . Anyways I will let them hang around as they look nice even if not authentic . 

Indeed, the rockets weren't used very often on just about any Thunderbolts, some squadrons found them handy in Italian mountain passes but for the most part the vast majority of Thunderbolt missions were carried out with bombs and or drop tanks. I always say, don't put the rockets on unless you can find a pic of that particular aircraft or one in it's unit, carrying the rockets.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Indeed, the rockets weren't used very often on just about any Thunderbolts, some squadrons found them handy in Italian mountain passes but for the most part the vast majority of Thunderbolt missions were carried out with bombs and or drop tanks. I always say, don't put the rockets on unless you can find a pic of that particular aircraft or one in it's unit, carrying the rockets.

thanks

Mike

Out of curiosity , why were the pilots not in favour of the rockets - they were ineffective or adversely affected flying characteristics ? 

2 hours ago, Basuroy said:

Out of curiosity , why were the pilots not in favour of the rockets - they were ineffective or adversely affected flying characteristics ? 

Any ordnance will hinder flying performance! That said, I can't find anything much on the M10 rocket launchers, there's hint that it was complicated and difficult to use, perhaps they mean it wasn't as accurate as expected but they were largely replaced later on by HVAR's.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Really great work with the painting and weathering!

What did you use for the scratches and chipping on the wing roots?

Thanks :)  ; to simulate the scratched , I used the "sponge" technique . That is , I dipped a piece of sponge in silver paint , dabbed off the excess paint before lightly pressing the sponge against the wing root to simulate the chips. Always keep a test piece alongside lest you end up applying too much paint . 

For the chips along the panel lines , I used a fine brush .