Mucha Standard SZD-22C - PZW 1/72

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Strewth Ced, I was looking for you all over the place and here you are soaring the thermals. The box art for this one is most endearing, like you're about to build a fairytale. Good luck!

Tony

PS. Have a lovely meal!:D

Glad you found it Tony - welcome aboard matey!

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Puff, pant, wheeze, cough....just saw the link on your Moth thread Ced so ran, errr, stumbled, straight over....

Is it finished yet?!

Have to admit I've never even 'eard of one of these fings...

Keith

Hi Keith. It took me a while to work out what was the name of kit builder and what was the name of glider but I think I have it now. Not finished just yet but I have filled the stand slot and other tiny seams.

12 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Simon,

but you must have been wearing a parachute??? I am 6' 2" and some gliders were a hell of a tight fit, fully equipped. Shoe horn required.

JR

Parachute? Crikey.

12 hours ago, philp said:

I got a glider flight back when I was in college due to an Aviation Science class I took.  Did get any parachute.

Me too Phil - great fun it was. I also organised trips from work several times. The CFI at the club was great; apparently he'd safely landed a glider after the tail had fallen off. Nice story, if a bit worrying.

11 hours ago, Jessica said:

I built this one way back in 198(mumble) when the local hobby shop somehow obtained several kits in this range. I think that I still have it stowed away somewhere. As I recall, I replaced the seat with one made from plastic card sanded to shape because the seat in my kit suffered from massive mould misallignment.

Hi Jessica - ah, 198(mumble), a great year :) My seat is perfectly formed you'll be pleased to hear :whistle: 

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

scratch building in 1/72.

Food.

Are you sure you aren't really Nigel Heath in disguise :whistle:

11 hours ago, Jessica said:

There's a simpler explanation: Nigel is contagious; it's transmissible through the internet.

Nigel is my Obe Wan - I aspire to his modelling skills but sadly fear I will not get close, do or not do shall I.

11 hours ago, Beard said:

All the extra equipment I took was a bottle of Merrydown.

An essential accompaniment!

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Found this interesting for the cockpit;

http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/dszd22.htm

Thanks Benedikt - great stuff!

Well, if you stand on a stool, shine one of those laser beam torches over your shoulder and up the magnifiers you can just about make out some dials:

34742078241_d678d1e932_z.jpg

Sorry, blurred, must be the effects of the wine (which was very nice, thank you).

Closed up, no pilot, no detailed interiors. I'll just have to get over it.

• Like 9

Just got back home in time to catch this on the big screen Ced :).

I love these old Polish kits, there's something really calming about them. 

It's good you've gone for the easy option, nothing like getting something together quickly to renew the Mojo. Just like the good old days of buying one on a Saturday lunchtime, building it, no paint, just transfers, having it completed by the bedside whilst reading a 'Commando' book at 8pm :).

There are some nice clean bright colour schemes for these.

That menu is amazing....drool :eat:!!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

Hi TT - glad to hear you're home :)

A bit delayed and slow this morning. Not due to the wine I hasten to add. I find good wine doesn't give you a hangover, or at least not a headache. People tell me it's because they don't have additives and other nasty bits. I think it also that you can't afford to drink as much...

Also delayed by the need to swap my clothes - I have limited wardrobe space in the bedroom (like most chaps I guess) so twice a year I have to move the summer clothes into the bedroom and the winter ones into the spare room (or vice versa). Of course I also need to try stuff on to see if it still fits (I refuse to exchange my current pleasures for an extra few years in the nursing home). It always reminds me of that clip from 'Father of the Bride':

Still makes me laugh. Hopefully my buttons won't give way and take someone's eye out.

I'm still dithering about the internals. I do like messing about with those bits. Of course it'll all be pointless if the canopy isn't clear:

34037393254_40d98d1fef_z.jpg

No excuse there then. I have gathered some suitable materials:

34717456302_923eb591ca_n.jpg 34748959691_54c8e24f5e_n.jpg

I have some work to attend to today (rats) but I may have a fiddle later (tee hee) :) 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon. Damned good idea...

34063169613_298c51b528_z.jpg

Some of these are stuck together again. Up to no good no doubt. I dread to think what the sticky stuff is... hopefully just oyster sauce from the kids worker's lunch. this lady fits but I don't think gliding is the first thing on her mind:

34833965436_21d03d2e82_z.jpg

Sadly 'lady with the big boobies' / 'man with binoculars' is too big as well:

34833990426_1e52bf74b7_z.jpg

Not the best example of face painting I've seen. Ho hum, pilotless it is.

Aha, that would have been a plan JR but sadly there's not enough room for one!

Thanks GrzeM, great drawing - I'll save that for later.

Thanks Giorgio. It was amazing as always. They now give you a menu after the meal, which is nice. Now, I'm a meat and two veg man (snurf titter) like most but I also love this sort of stuff:

34742199931_b142a254da_z.jpg

Nom nom nom by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The test tubes have flavoured oil in them to go with the special bread. Chocolate and cumin - delicious with the 'Christmas tree' oil. I don't think it tasted like a Christmas tree but it gave you the feeling that it might.

Sweetcorn sorbet and lemon grass jelly for pud #1 (as we plebs call it). There was also 'oyster grass' on top which looked a bit like samphire but tasted of Oysters. Gordon tells me he gets it from Holland from a Dutchman that he thinks may be into other sorts of weed in a big way.

Anyway, sorry to tease your taste buds. Better start another post after that big picture.

Ced,

it's official! You are a registered sadist!

I read this damn menu as my better half asks me to go and prepare our daily ration of rabbit food for lunch....

Where did I put my little chiffon dolls and my big, long needles?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!

JR

• Like 3

You could always do the old Frog trick Ced - decapitate a figure with a decent head & shoulders (OK, I realise that might be impossible with that selection you have there!) & stick it to a piece of plasticard or somesuch in the 'pit. That might look better than having a pilotless glider circling around the ceiling?!

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jean said:

Ced,

it's official! You are a registered sadist!

I read this damn menu as my better half asks me to go and prepare our daily ration of rabbit food for lunch....

Where did I put my little chiffon dolls and my big, long needles?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!

JR

I'm soooo sorry JR - I know I should be on the 'rabbit food' too but I don't have the teeth for it :D 

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello, maybe someone has one left from HO 1:87 railway figures for you.  You could fix it in there.

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/18-flugzeuge-zivil/10816-szd-22-mucha-standard-.html

Cheers

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You could always do the old Frog trick Ced - decapitate a figure with a decent head & shoulders (OK, I realise that might be impossible with that selection you have there!) & stick it to a piece of plasticard or somesuch in the 'pit. That might look better than having a pilotless glider circling around the ceiling?!

Keith

Thanks Benedikt and Keith. I've given up on the figure but the internals are done and the canopy is on (see below). Good idea about the 'head and shoulders' Keith but it would have cramped the internals too...

You know I like messing with internals, even though I'm not up to proper Nigel or perdu standards. I did knock up (fnaar) a control column from three bits of slide fit tube:

34074723023_6edf3a73c4_n.jpg 34074917583_abdee66ce4_n.jpg

and then painted it - it's tiny. I then assembled some box things with levers in from plastic strip:

34042945564_682bcfabf0_n.jpg 34500888610_b77cbd6d83_n.jpg

and now we're done:

34078114273_397a00cd1d_z.jpg

34756924161_872880b6df_z.jpg

34888503295_908f1ca12a_z.jpg

Note I found a use for the 'nasty tape' - reasonable texture for the belts with Tamiya tape lap strap thingys.

That'll do - you can't see much through the canopy anyway:

34756924171_5376209084_z.jpg

Now fixed on with Gator's Grip:

34078100893_91e3488bd5_z.jpg

I'll clean up the excess when it's dry.

• Like 13

Two pages in, and already I am late again. Sorry Ced.

An unusual kit but simple, it will be something different hanging from the ceiling.

Any how , slurp of coffee and off we go. :popcorn:

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1

Only just got to this build and it's most of the way through. I want to see what you do with the decals! :popcorn:  Looking very good already, nice job on the canopy. :goodjob:

...so this will be superbly finished by about 9pm tonight, what's next? :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HP42 said:

Only just got to this build and it's most of the way through. I want to see what you do with the decals! :popcorn:  Looking very good already, nice job on the canopy. :goodjob:

...so this will be superbly finished by about 9pm tonight, what's next? :D

I would like to see it with that bee or a wasp on the front  in the blue scheme, I guess.

• Like 1

Crikey you'll be finished soon. :yikes: Lovely kit Ced. Glad you had a nice meal, not much there for the likes of me. :sheep: But I like the tone of the menu. 

Looking forward to the rest of this.

Johnny boy. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Nice kit of a lovely aeroplane. I flew Southern Cross Gliding Club's one at Camden in 1970 - spent about half an hour going nowhere in particular in some late evening thermals. The cockpit of the one I flew was pretty basic - a plywood seat with blue harness and anodised buckles, control column, dive brake lever, tow release, and an instrument panel with altimeter, ASI, red/green ball variometer and not much else. The interior colour was light (primer) grey, and you brung your own seat cushion.

• Like 4

Thanks Simon and welcome :) 

Hi Phil - I have a plan for the decals which I hope you'll like, fingers crossed :) 

Hi Benedikt - bees are too complicated for me I'm afraid. I'm going for the red and white scheme on the page you linked to, but not with that ident. The masking's going to be hard enough as it is!

Hi Johnny - no rigging on this - yay! 

Hi Admiral - from the few reference shots on the 'net there seems to be a lot of variation, even on the maker's logos (making sure I'm not looking at other models!) I assume one bought the 'skin' and fitted whatever instruments you thought were necessary!

The tailplanes were fitted - like most kits, they're wobbly and need to be supported while they dry. The main wings however have a great join and so, in no time, she's ready for canopy masking and then primer:

34730776152_49e0f141b5_z.jpg

• Like 15

It's finished already :) ;).

Huge glider wings.

Thats going to look very relaxing hanging from the ceiling.

I could quite cope with around three of those in a kind of 'adult mobile' above my bed. It would look like they were in a heat thermal. Very calming.

:hmmm: 

May have to go shopping.... 

TonyT

• Like 5

G'day Ced,

I believe that Skull'n'Cross' one was as delivered, including the cockpit fit-out. They had their serious maintenance done by the late, lamented George Detto at Camden, and his habit was to use grey primer on all inside surfaces (he did that with Wollongong Gliding Club's Kookaburra that he rebuilt for us to get us started in 1967), so maybe that indicated that he had had at least one repair job to do on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Huge glider wings.

Thats going to look very relaxing hanging from the ceiling.

Spot-on Tony.:thumbsup:

Some nice scratching around the cockpit Ced. Android autocorrect interpreted my clumsy tablet tapping on this sentence initially as: 'So nice men scratching around the c**k it', so I'm afeared to write more while it's listening...

:thumbsup: Tony

• Like 7

Thanks TT - well it's assembled but not finished yet; I just have to mask the stripes and bendy bits and leading edges... Wait a minute, wasn't this supposed to be relaxing? There must be something wrong with me...

I have a plan for the hanging, hopefully :) 

Thanks Admiral - interesting :)

Thanks Nigel and Giorgio - it is cute isn't it?

Thanks Tony - do you have your auto-correct set to 'slightly smutty' by any chance? :rofl: 

Thanks Keith - it was the colour of the Swiss reference shots Benedikt found but I've now sprayed it with white Stynylrez:

34090827493_e7c38ecf02_z.jpg

in preparation for the red / white scheme on the other site here. Didn't really think it out did I, as I now have some tricky masking before I spray the red:

34745279682_2caf5f9a33_z.jpg

The scheme is just there for rough shapes - the dark will be white and the light areas red.

I've also printed out the logo graphics I've edited, just on paper for now to position the mask:

34868232366_460993872a_z.jpg

then I ran out of mojo after the first line:

34781775331_8ec7cbae15_z.jpg

More tomorrow.

• Like 12

Lovely logo Ced :thumbsup2: 

Really stylish font. 

This really has given me am idea to maybe do 3 gliders on some kind of a mobile thingy. 

Remember on Blue Peter when they did the mobile with two coat hangers and tinsel?

Around that size but nowhere near as dreadful. I'm interested to see how you hang it.

There's a Mojo gremlin around at the moment Ced. It's up to all on BM to catch it and dispose of it in a micro wave oven :D.

All best regards 

TonyT

• Like 4

Ooooh, a Ced build of a Polish glider. I'm all over that.

Wait, you're masking already? Cripes...

It looks like a very neat little bird all primed up. The scheme you've chosen suits it well, too.

The mojo gremlin popped over to my place last night as well. It took me an hour to glue two pieces (which had already been cleaned up, masked, and fit perfectly).

• Like 1

Thanks TT - ah, Blue Peter 'here's one I did earlier'... I wish! :)

Thanks Chris - sorry to hear the Gremlin has got in; fight him off! :)

Most of the morning was taken up masking. I found some tape the same width as the 'logo stripe', thankfully:

34756418812_5704b2d5a7_z.jpg

That was the 'focal point' for the under wing masking. The thin LE stripes were a pain (I thought Spitfires were hard!) but eventually she's wrapped:

34079065004_8cf3e83735_z.jpg

and sprayed with thinned Tamiya flat red:

34535233740_fe528d6f8e_z.jpg

She'll get a gloss coat after the transfers. Must wait a bit longer before ripping that off! 

• Like 8

Enough waiting:

34079701254_0ccd5c94d1_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Crikey, what a lot of tape for a little model. Some touching up required:

34922864555_4f9c816f28_n.jpg 34922860165_7994513eaf_n.jpg

34079723704_1fc4a6fe13_n.jpg 34079730584_936accca76_n.jpg

not bad, except this bit:

34882293636_2bbd268cfb_z.jpg

Now touched up and gloss coated:

34883076486_f51f1fdc91_z.jpg

I've printed out the transfers so, once that's dry, they'll be applied, probably later today.

• Like 12